Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptureWS

This place is so chill now for the moment. It's a bit odd. Probably a nice break for the mods though. This is the calm before the 2nd storm so to speak. In general it's probably gonna be a rather quiet couple of weeks .It will pick up some when the next single drops for a couple days. Then probably go chill again for another week or two before slowly building up and eventually morphing into a moderators worst nightmare when the album drops. Lets pray it doesn't leak.....

When people whisper it makes her nervous.

xtalaphextwin

HA you should have seen this place in 2012 when KNY was about to come out. I was around back then on another account. Fun times. some bad trolling but overall a good time

a bit more about the production though just have to say, again GREAT blended vocals, and awesome drum mix, so crisp. abe has a nice beat in the song almost hip hop-boom bap ish. he doesn't get enough credit for being as unique as he is.

RaptureWS

Quote from: xtalaphextwin on Aug 22, 2020, 05:29 AM
HA you should have seen this place in 2012 when KNY was about to come out. I was around back then on another account. Fun times. some bad trolling but overall a good time

a bit more about the production though just have to say, again GREAT blended vocals, and awesome drum mix, so crisp. abe has a nice beat in the song almost hip hop-boom bap ish. he doesn't get enough credit for being as unique as he is.

Oh yeah it was crazy. I was here for it. In fact my 3rd ever post was asking for a PM of Rosemary lol!

Roidragee

A bit off topic but Fantano listened to Ohms on his stream today and actually really enjoyed it. I for sure thought he was gonna shit on it lmao

RaptureWS

Quote from: Roidragee on Aug 22, 2020, 05:47 AM
A bit off topic but Fantano listened to Ohms on his stream today and actually really enjoyed it. I for sure thought he was gonna shit on it lmao

Does he save/upload his streams or anything? I enjoy him even though I rarely agree with him (general sentiment a lot of people share).

Roidragee

Quote from: RaptureWS on Aug 22, 2020, 06:07 AM

Does he save/upload his streams or anything? I enjoy him even though I rarely agree with him (general sentiment a lot of people share).
I think they're uploaded to YouTube a couple of days after the streams been done

976-EVIL

Hey Rapture! Was curious on your to get your take on the single. I waited till midnight last night myself.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

976-EVIL

Terry Date's Ears should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

RaptureWS

I woke up at like 8am yesterday to go to the bathroom. I checked here out of habit and saw the single had dropped overseas. So of course I was up for a few hours listening to it and checking in around here.

I absolutely love the song. Those opening/closing riffs are so fun and jammy. The song itself is very warm, bright and almost euphoric. I was very surprised at first that it was the closing track. After hearing Chino's remarks about it in the NME interview it makes more sense though. Rubicon was a lot more intense, but it also had that optimistic, euphoric vibe. Rubicon is more of a soaring song while Ohms is a bit more grounded, but that's three albums in a row now with very optimistic closing tracks. Earlier in their career they always went with dark and experimental tracks. What Happened To You definitely fits the experimental description, but not at all a "dark" song IMO.

I'm trying to find the words to explain this, because people will think I am crazy.......Ohms feels like the shadow, the other side of the coin, the ying to the yang of Hexagram. Just that big, rhythmic guitar driven sound. Hexagram is the gritty, unsettling dark side-whereas Ohms is the warm, safe and uplifting bright side. Probably doesn't make sense to most people, but it just reminded me of Hexagram right out of the gate. Now when I listen to Hexagram, I hear shades of Ohms as well. Ok, so hence the description "safe" though. Ohms does have its own unique sound, but it's not surprising. You can never guess what Deftones will do, but once you hear it you're like "Yep. THAT is Deftones". Ohms, while different, makes perfect sense as a Deftones song. It doesn't blow you away and blindside you with something totally unexpected. Hexagram did though. After WP, no one knew what to expect with S/T........but when they first popped on the album, I can't imagine many people were expecting what they heard on that first track. I doubt that all makes much sense. But's that what I am good at. Writing paragraphs trying to explain something just for it to read like nonsense lol.

Back to Ohms as it stands on it's own........It's my 2nd favorite pre-album single in the Sergio era, behind only Leathers. So yeah, I like it more than Rocket Skates, Diamond Eyes, Tempest, Prayers and Doomed User. My only two complaints would be that Frank sounds almost invisible, and there was no interesting bridge. Those are pretty glaring flaws. I'm particularly worried about Frank. Hopefully it's just this one track. I'd be super sad if he was this low in the mix on a lot of songs. I'd still give it a solid 8/10 though.

At the end of the day, it's the perfect track to remind the world "Hey, we're back." Nothing too extreme or experimental that would cause too much speculation. ...."Are they going super soft now?"...... "OMG It's so heavy I hope the entire album is like this"....... "Ugh this doesn't even sound like Deftones. They need to stop letting Chino write songs". Unique enough to stand on it's own, but still simply pure Deftones.

BallZDeeP

This place was insane when I had that guy to go his local record shop and pick up Gore so we could leak it. that was a crazy day

976-EVIL

Wow, a lot to unpack there.

RaptureWS

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Aug 22, 2020, 07:30 AM

ask and you shall receive lol. As long as there's one person out there that appreciates the detailed post then it's all worth it. I wanted to be a writer when I was young. Probably a good thing I didn't as my books would probably worse than Game of Thrones lol

976-EVIL

Quote from: RaptureWS on Aug 22, 2020, 08:02 AM
Quote from: 976-EVIL on Aug 22, 2020, 07:30 AM

ask and you shall receive lol. As long as there's one person out there that appreciates the detailed post then it's all worth it. I wanted to be a writer when I was young. Probably a good thing I didn't as my books would probably worse than Game of Thrones lol

Obviously you are. Thanks Brother!

SMLiberator

is it just me or does Terry Date always does my boy Frank wrong? he's low af on this one, as he was in a much of S/T, took me a while to realize he was actually there at the pre-chorus
i'm confused??

Inkblades

Quote from: RaptureWS on Aug 22, 2020, 06:57 AM
I woke up at like 8am yesterday to go to the bathroom. I checked here out of habit and saw the single had dropped overseas. So of course I was up for a few hours listening to it and checking in around here.

I absolutely love the song. Those opening/closing riffs are so fun and jammy. The song itself is very warm, bright and almost euphoric. I was very surprised at first that it was the closing track. After hearing Chino's remarks about it in the NME interview it makes more sense though. Rubicon was a lot more intense, but it also had that optimistic, euphoric vibe. Rubicon is more of a soaring song while Ohms is a bit more grounded, but that's three albums in a row now with very optimistic closing tracks. Earlier in their career they always went with dark and experimental tracks. What Happened To You definitely fits the experimental description, but not at all a "dark" song IMO.

I'm trying to find the words to explain this, because people will think I am crazy.......Ohms feels like the shadow, the other side of the coin, the ying to the yang of Hexagram. Just that big, rhythmic guitar driven sound. Hexagram is the gritty, unsettling dark side-whereas Ohms is the warm, safe and uplifting bright side. Probably doesn't make sense to most people, but it just reminded me of Hexagram right out of the gate. Now when I listen to Hexagram, I hear shades of Ohms as well. Ok, so hence the description "safe" though. Ohms does have its own unique sound, but it's not surprising. You can never guess what Deftones will do, but once you hear it you're like "Yep. THAT is Deftones". Ohms, while different, makes perfect sense as a Deftones song. It doesn't blow you away and blindside you with something totally unexpected. Hexagram did though. After WP, no one knew what to expect with S/T........but when they first popped on the album, I can't imagine many people were expecting what they heard on that first track. I doubt that all makes much sense. But's that what I am good at. Writing paragraphs trying to explain something just for it to read like nonsense lol.

Back to Ohms as it stands on it's own........It's my 2nd favorite pre-album single in the Sergio era, behind only Leathers. So yeah, I like it more than Rocket Skates, Diamond Eyes, Tempest, Prayers and Doomed User. My only two complaints would be that Frank sounds almost invisible, and there was no interesting bridge. Those are pretty glaring flaws. I'm particularly worried about Frank. Hopefully it's just this one track. I'd be super sad if he was this low in the mix on a lot of songs. I'd still give it a solid 8/10 though.

At the end of the day, it's the perfect track to remind the world "Hey, we're back." Nothing too extreme or experimental that would cause too much speculation. ...."Are they going super soft now?"...... "OMG It's so heavy I hope the entire album is like this"....... "Ugh this doesn't even sound like Deftones. They need to stop letting Chino write songs". Unique enough to stand on it's own, but still simply pure Deftones.

Solid write up. Some thoughts:

1. From what I've heard, you don't have to worry about Frank. He's very audible on the other songs...tokyo even posted something that he quickly deleted about Frank basically owning the album. As for this song, this is clearly the Stephen show, but I do hear Frank coming through on the "through the haunted maze" chorus and other parts. It's very subtle, but it's there. That's because what Frank does is sometimes very subtle, other times more pronounced (except WGTB, Beware and Prayers/Triangles - the mix did him dirty on those songs lol). And then he's more audible at the very beginning and a bit at the end.

2. I agree that the song needs a bridge or something else. I mean, I guess the "and time won't change this" part is technically the 2x bridge, but it maybe needs another bridge. Some of the Koi and Gore songs have this structure where it does feels like the songs just repeat passages and then end, like Entombed, Graphic Nature, Acid Hologram and Rubicon. And those are all solid songs, and so is this, but a sense of relying too much on repetition is occasionally there. Without giving too much away, this was my least favorite song played. It's good, it's fun, the chorus is gorgeous, the production is great - but every other song I heard is even better and more structurally complex.

3. Interesting take on Ohms and Hexagram and I can see your viewpoint. I do have to say, as with so many other Deftones songs, even if its not the most surprisingly epic song they've ever written, god DAMN does Ohms get burned into the head. I mean this song has literally been on a loop in my brain for the past two days. So that alone is a mark of a really good song even if I want a moment or two of more variety.

RaptureWS

Good point. After the backlash from Gore about Steph not being involved in all that stuff, I would not surprised if this was a somewhat deliberate choice to show off Stephs chops right out of the gate.  And that's great to hear about Frank. I'm so freaking stoked to hear what he's got in store.

plagasx

Man, I really wish we would get another Piano song from them like Anniversary...

Playhouse

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Aug 22, 2020, 06:51 AM
Terry Date's Ears should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

YES
You're a star, You blaze

Sleeping_Giant

Pretty cool, alternative version of the album cover I found on FB. I dig it more than original:

I was really hoping they will continue to expand this picture day by day. It looks like something unfinished...but who knows, maybe it will become iconic album cover in the far future.

Capt Snow

stop caring what this cuck thinks, seriously.