Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Formant

Quote from: Prty on Aug 24, 2020, 07:19 AM
Yeah of course, I'd made up my mind already on liking Ohms but I'm a big music fan when it comes to a range of genres and a massive youtube consumer so obviously I dig his stuff, thought it was cool to see him high on my favourite band.  The Date production really is just great so far. Plus there was like a whole page of fantano memes in the ohms pre release thread so thought it could do a mention here haha.

Also a fan of his content. He mentioned in his "weekly track roundup" that he finds the Sergio-era albums to be over-produced. I don't necessarily agree, but he has a thing for more raw production when it comes to heavier music (I'm typically on that side, too). I totally agree with you on the production-- Date really is a 6th member of the band.

honeybeewu

Quote from: sharinglungs on Aug 24, 2020, 04:36 AM
different indeed...

can I describe specific songs? Or no?... if not i'll just say... I think The Spell of Mathematics is going to be a song that grows on you and after this album cycle, it'll probably be a fan favorite.

also.... gahhh why does Chino go live on Mixlr so damn late ! Lol ;);)

Agreed. It's always like 3+am my time. I wake up and see the alert the next day like F*Ck! I've been tuning in since he started like 7-8 years ago. Now I barely catch the sessions.
While I have serious FOMO ( and rightly so ) part of me is kind of glad I'll likely get to hear the full album on virgin ears.

theataraxian

Sorry if I missed it and it's already been posted, but Fantano gave Ohms a good review in his Weekly Track Roundup.

Timestamped here:

https://youtu.be/Kry0EYMuGgk?t=870
death is the standard breach for a complex prize

Penicks

why is this random youtube dude mentioned constantly here

who cares

punkflop01

Quote from: Penicks on Aug 24, 2020, 08:27 AM

who cares

plagasx

He must be either incredibly hated amongst the Deftones community or worshiped.

theataraxian

who cares

My bad, I'm just coming back to SL for the first time in a while, didn't realize he was so controversial around here. He's pretty well known, probably the best known music critic on YouTube, but he's just another critic.

Basically I only care about his opinion when it aligns with my own, ya feel me
death is the standard breach for a complex prize

Hidalgo

Quote from: punkflop01 on Aug 24, 2020, 08:38 AM

who cares
really, i don't give a rats ass if he thought they were the worst band ever, or the best band ever. fuck'em

ChubbyChino

Fantano was taken to the hospital. He ate tide pods.

Bqad

Stop talking about Anthony Shitstaino. Should be a bannable offense.

Gaz

I never give a shit about these dickhead reviewers, if you like a band or an album, enjoy it, don't let someone else's opinion change yours

Vesanic

Quote from: plagasx on Aug 24, 2020, 09:19 AM
He must be either incredibly hated amongst the Deftones community or worshiped.

His opinions kind of seem to vary when it comes to Deftones.

When he reviewed Koi No Yokan, he said White Pony was that awesome album that every next releease was going to be compared to. He said the S/T lacked in melody and agreed on it not living up to White Pony for more reasons than just "It's not White Pony". He thought SNW was a bounce back in quality but DE was the album the S/T should have been. He said KNY had an air of deja-vu compared to DE, that What Happened To You? was underwhelming compared to their other closing tracks (I really couldn't agree more) and while he liked a few things, it felt like the band was playing it safe to him. That whole review was pretty laid back though and he didn't sound harsh.

Then came Gore. It's funny cause I agree on most of what he said about it (except about Acid Hologram) but still thought he sounded very harsh about it, went on to say it was better than DE, which he couldn't stand and was an album with a sound that was interesting a decade before it was released, and he also said he didn't care much about Adrenaline. About Gore he heavily criticised the production, the lack of compositional quality, and joined the overall review to his KNY saying that Chino played it safe vocally like they played it safe on KNY and DE. But again he came off very blunt about it and a lot of fans didn't like it.

He hasn't said anything about Around the Fur (which in my opinion is the best Deftones album), I'd imagine he doesn't care much about it just like he doesn't Adrenaline.

Big Boss

Quote from: Big Boss on Aug 24, 2020, 06:37 AM
Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 24, 2020, 04:17 AM
It's different  ;)

That's a shifty response man! But probably a fair one. I just can't figure out why he'd share 6 songs. SIX! From an upcoming album of only 10. That's really just insane to me. Aren't y'all disappointed? There's barely any album left to enjoy or be curious about. Not trying to be a dick at all. But in all honesty, aren't any of  you disappointed?

I'm quoting myself in hopes of getting a response  ;)

Shells

Radio play here in the UK from Mary Anne Hobbs on BBC 6 Music right now as predicted!

Gaz

Quote from: Shells on Aug 24, 2020, 05:55 PM
Radio play here in the UK from Mary Anne Hobbs on BBC 6 Music right now as predicted!

Yep I caught that also!

imbrie

Pretty cool! I don't think I've ever heard them on the radio!

mandalay

Quote from: nicklav on Aug 23, 2020, 10:11 PM
Quote from: xtalaphextwin on Aug 23, 2020, 10:07 PM
i liked a lot of 2003 stuff on the DeftonesLive channel because it seems a lot of that era was missing for some reason for a long time.

It's some of the best live stuff they've ever done. I watch them over and over again.
Peak Deftones especially for live performances and overall moodiness.  Sometimes I hate that they ever went that dark because I know nothing will ever compare to it again.

sharinglungs

I don't hear them on the radio ever, because all we get here is oldies and country. That's it.

Inkblades

They usually get play on Sirius' Liquid Metal when they put out new music. Jose Mangin played Ohms on his songs of the week show.

Gaz

Quote from: imbrie on Aug 24, 2020, 06:37 PM

Pretty cool! I don't think I've ever heard them on the radio!

BBC 6 Music and the DJ is Mary Anne Hobbs, she used to present the Radio 1 Rock Show in the 90's and 2000's. She plays Deftones quite a lot in the daytime, I've heard her play Change, BQAD, Minerva and now Ohms. She is a fan of the band also