Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imbrie

Quote from: ChubbyChino on Sep 01, 2020, 11:30 AM
Haha, this 'thedeftkid' guy has already been debunked, the email address linked to his account takes you to a LinkedIn profile of a random guy working in some business not related to music at all.

Yep, I remember him now being the guy that said the eyes on the artwork weren't eyes.

sharinglungs

Let's just say he's completely debunked now, 100%.

imbrie

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 01, 2020, 12:16 PM
Let's just say he's completely debunked now, 100%.

I'll never fathom why people bother with that sort of nonsense - just to waste people's time I suppose.

Oh well, 2 more hours.

imbrie

I imagine that reviews of Ohms will start to arrive fairly soon. Not that my listening pleasure is dependent upon other views but I'm always particularly interested in seeing how the boys fare with the critics, especially with more mainstream publications. Also whets the appetite for the album's release somewhat.

Gaz

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 01, 2020, 11:52 AM
Quote from: ChubbyChino on Sep 01, 2020, 11:30 AM
Haha, this 'thedeftkid' guy has already been debunked, the email address linked to his account takes you to a LinkedIn profile of a random guy working in some business not related to music at all.

Yep, I remember him now being the guy that said the eyes on the artwork weren't eyes.

The guy is full of shit

buflen

Quote from: Diplo on Sep 01, 2020, 09:36 AM
Dont know why Stef use a 9 strings on this one tho.
He uses a 9 string in the video, doesn't necessarily means that's what he used to record it. Probably just showing off.
And Chino said it was the first thing written for the album, 3 years ago, which is before the instagram post on his 9 strings guitar.
Anyway, it's not because you have X amount of strings that you need to use them all in all songs.

Draken

It's September!!! We're almost there folks... just a few more weeks to go! Hopefully we do get a single this Friday...

rainnyx4

Quote from: buflen on Sep 01, 2020, 05:44 PM
He uses a 9 string in the video, doesn't necessarily means that's what he used to record it. Probably just showing off.
And Chino said it was the first thing written for the album, 3 years ago, which is before the instagram post on his 9 strings guitar.
Anyway, it's not because you have X amount of strings that you need to use them all in all songs.

From what I understand, Stephen upgrades all his guitars to whatever the number of strings he currently writes in no matter what. This way he's not constantly shifting neck sizes for songs live (say to 6 strings for Adrenaline, ATF, and WP and 7/8 for the others) and can just get used to one size. It's irrelevant to him what strings he uses to play a song. He's going to use the guitar size he's currently used to.

Inkblades

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 01, 2020, 09:58 AM
I'm really digging Ohms right now. It's like Good Morning Beautiful or Street Carp, easy not too risky song but still catchy.

In comparison, the Manson's album has leaked already, the release is scheduled for 9/11. I hope Ohms doesn't follow the same fate.

In all honesty it probably will. I mean 10  days out from release isn't unrealistic.

Probably. Has there ever been a Deftones album that hasn't leaked in this age? It's funny how some albums stay protected while others don't. Nas' latest album (that came out the same day as Ohms) didn't leak, and I think pop stars like Beyonce or Taylor Swift also have good security and don't leak. Maybe because some are surprise releases or only have a week of promotion, like in Nas' case?

lungdamage

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 01, 2020, 06:01 PM

From what I understand, Stephen upgrades all his guitars to whatever the number of strings he currently writes in no matter what. This way he's not constantly shifting neck sizes for songs live (say to 6 strings for Adrenaline, ATF, and WP and 7/8 for the others) and can just get used to one size. It's irrelevant to him what strings he uses to play a song. He's going to use the guitar size he's currently used to.

Live guitar line-up: 7's,  8's & now 9's as well.

sharinglungs

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 01, 2020, 06:11 PM
Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 01, 2020, 09:58 AM
I'm really digging Ohms right now. It's like Good Morning Beautiful or Street Carp, easy not too risky song but still catchy.

In comparison, the Manson's album has leaked already, the release is scheduled for 9/11. I hope Ohms doesn't follow the same fate.

In all honesty it probably will. I mean 10  days out from release isn't unrealistic.

Probably. Has there ever been a Deftones album that hasn't leaked in this age? It's funny how some albums stay protected while others don't. Nas' latest album (that came out the same day as Ohms) didn't leak, and I think pop stars like Beyonce or Taylor Swift also have good security and don't leak. Maybe because some are surprise releases or only have a week of promotion, like in Nas' case?

A lot of the surprise albums just come out with no notice, so it's easier to keep them from leaking, which is probably why the Nas album didn't leak early, especially now that they can do it digitally and still do massive numbers.

rainnyx4

Quote from: lungdamage on Sep 01, 2020, 06:18 PM

Does he still switch guitar sizes live? I was under the impression that he decided to just get used to one neck size and learn to play the songs with them. That said, I haven't played a 7-string in probably a decade and never touched an 8 or 9 so I don't know if it's significantly different switching between those three than say a 9 down to a 6.

BallZDeeP

We are in the digital age now. No more
Boxes of discs being sent to Tower Records or Wherehouse. Man i miss those days.

976-EVIL

Quote from: BallZDeeP on Sep 01, 2020, 07:00 PM
We are in the digital age now. No more
Boxes of discs being sent to Tower Records or Wherehouse. Man i miss those days.

Me as well! The excitement of going in the day it dropped. Rushing back to the car and feverishly tearing away the wrapping. Carefully pulling out the CD and putting it in the stereo. Holding my breath and pressing play....Absolutely nothing like it... 
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

lungdamage

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 01, 2020, 06:38 PM
Quote from: lungdamage on Sep 01, 2020, 06:18 PM

Does he still switch guitar sizes live? I was under the impression that he decided to just get used to one neck size and learn to play the songs with them. That said, I haven't played a 7-string in probably a decade and never touched an 8 or 9 so I don't know if it's significantly different switching between those three than say a 9 down to a 6.

For the earlier albums that were recorded on a 6 string.....  Uses a 7 string with the top two lightest gauge strings tuned to the same note.

976-EVIL

Amazing, This place is death right now...

Ohms is gonna make this place Explode. To get a first and last Track as Singles says a lot about the maturity of the Band. And more importantly the Sound...IMO
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

I_Know_ok

plagasx

So close guys! I truly have a good feeling about this album! HAS to be better than Gore at the very least..right? RIGHT??

imbrie

Quote from: plagasx on Sep 02, 2020, 06:05 AM
So close guys! I truly have a good feeling about this album! HAS to be better than Gore at the very least..right? RIGHT??

In a little over 3 weeks we'll know!

Gaz

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Sep 02, 2020, 04:32 AM
Amazing, This place is death right now...

Ohms is gonna make this place Explode. To get a first and last Track as Singles says a lot about the maturity of the Band. And more importantly the Sound...IMO

Calm before the storm