"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Snow

Quote from: buflen on Sep 04, 2020, 04:43 PM
Quote from: mono on Sep 04, 2020, 04:19 PM
Quote from: imbrie on Sep 04, 2020, 04:14 PM
Review of Ohms in Spanish here: https://issuu.com/rockzonemag/docs/rz_172/40

"Ohms is not a revolutionary work, but I assure is another great deftones album..."

We need to be patient...
I just want deftones to sound like deftones and to make kick ass music. Not every album has to "break new ground". When band tries too hard to be revolutionary, it usually end up bad.

This album begs to differ:

sharinglungs

So I guess we'll be seeing reviews start to pop up today and early next week

Matthewtheloser

If the press is starting to get the album in, I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before a leak is out there

imbrie

I'm sure the music press will have had it for a few weeks already. But, yes, reviews from next week I'd say.

I think this album will go the distance and appear a day or two before it's official release.

sharinglungs

I don't think it will. If Manson can't do it. I don't think Deftones can.

LG95

9/10 (four and a half stars) in the new edition of DIY magazine (page 64).

https://diymag.com/magazine
I could float here forever

imbrie

sharinglungs

OH Shiitttt....

Is This Link Is Dead the new WGTB? Or Elite or Rats!?

Sicario

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 04, 2020, 05:43 PM

Great find man. If that review doesn't get a person excited, I don't know what to say to you. Looking forward to it even more now
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

buflen

Doesn't labels share albums with subtle watermarks to the press to know who leaked the album if it happens and it's not worth it at all to do so for serious medias?

sharinglungs

Nowadays I think they get sent secure links to them and that they disappear after a certain amount of time.

buflen

Unrelated: Seeing chino perform live makes me sad nowadays. I wish he had  a voice coach early in his career.

imbrie

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 04, 2020, 06:32 PM
Nowadays I think they get sent secure links to them and that they disappear after a certain amount of time.

Pretty much this.

Inkblades

I typed the Spanish review into Google Translate:

"It is very curious what happens with Deftones. To which it is confirmed that the band is starting to work on a new album, everyone begins to speculate about what it will sound like, when, in reality, we all know the answer: Deftones. Ohms is no exception.

To be a band with that aura of groundbreaking and innovative within metal, a reputation that without a doubt they earned over everything 20 years ago with White Pony, their successive works have offered rather few surprises. But we don't seem to learn, and the anticipation in the months leading up to the release of his ninth album has been brutal, largely motivated by Terry Date's return to production at the helm of 17 years. And that, the beginning of Genesis, with those keyboards and some guitar notes, which seem like a tribute to Pink Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond, make us think that maybe this time those from Sacramento are going to offer us something different, but the illusion lasts only 50 seconds; what it takes the cavalry to enter the trot with a riff by Stephen Carpenter and Chino Moreno alternating shouts with their characteristic dragging melodies. The mastery of the group to play with different intensities is once again shown in all its glory on songs such as Urantia, Ceremony, Radiant City or Headless, with a central passage of the most beautiful. For its part, Error stands out for its energy and a catchier than average chorus, and Ohms for that screwed up and devastating riff. Date's hand is noticeable in a warmer and more organic sound in which each musician finds their space to breathe.

I think Frank Delgado has never had so much prominence, serving as an essential element in the transition between Pompeji and This Link Is Dead, or in the atmospheric and brilliant The Spell of Mathematics, and the Abe Cunningham drums also sound fantastic. If you have read this far, I suppose you have already deduced that Ohms is not a revolutionary work, but what I do assure you is that it is another great Deftones album."

Genesis is a trillion times better than they are making it sound.

GR1X7S

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 04, 2020, 05:43 PM

Reading that review gave me chills. We're so close now

Draken

Inkblades

Seems like I was right about This Link Is Dead having heavy moments. Can't wait to hear that one.

GR1X7S

Hidalgo

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 04, 2020, 08:09 PM
Quote from: GR1X7S on Sep 04, 2020, 08:01 PM
Newbury Comics has signed Ohms CDs

https://www.newburycomics.com/products/deftones-ohms_cd_autographed?variant=32776333557865

Thanks for posting that man - ordered!
it sold out in the middle of me ordering it. oh well, i just ordered one from amazon, not autographed. i don't have anything signed by them. met them once, hung out with them for like 8 hours back in 2006(Chi was the only one not there), but it didn't cross my mind to take anything for them to sign. took a few pics