Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lahemi

Quote from: secretbandinsider on Sep 06, 2020, 03:04 PM
Considering the fact that Deftones' closers are some of my favorite songs of theirs ever, Ohms is pretty underwhelming. It's a solid 3.5/5 and that chorus riff is a bit tiresome on repeated listens. I'm kinda worried about this album, not gonna lie. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Sad but true :( I love that you guys like the song so much, I like the video and the artwork so far, and I've been listening to Koi No Yokan a lot lately. Still love em, so much history! Been lurkin since right before the SNW days, but that album was the album that pretty much (almost) killed my enthusiasm for their music. To me (!) the Crosses album is so much more interesting and cohesive to listen to than every album post the selftitled. Still love the band and some songs on every record (Beware <3, Rivière, Pink Cellphone FUCK THE HATERS, Poltergeist, Tempest <333, Rapture, (L)MIRL), but OHMS sounds like they just wrote a song. After the sixth time listening to it I couldn't stand it anymore, fucking broke my heart. It's just that Gore wasn't actually THAT bad, it could've been so great. Like.. y'know, an Brendan O'Brien album (Issues after Follow The Leader, A Crow Left Of The Murder after Morning View) after Koi No Yokan. Something that sounds.. organic. But jeez louise what a hot mess. But to me it still had some ideas. OHMS on the other hand sounds just like a template. Love the drums, but I just can't stand the repetitive structure they always seem to fall back to anymore.. :(

BUT no hate tho, still anticipate the release of the album :)

Draken

Go in with no expectations. If you build it up in your mind you will just end up being disappointed. I've learned that from past albums. Wait for the damn thing to come out, and go listen to some other music in the mean time. I like to listen to any non-heavy music, i.e. electronic, jazz, etc. like Deftones pre-show music to cleanse the palette.

buflen

Quote from: lahemi on Sep 06, 2020, 06:55 PM
It's just that Gore wasn't actually THAT bad .......... But to me it still had some ideas. OHMS on the other hand sounds just like a template. Love the drums, but I just can't stand the repetitive structure they always seem to fall back to anymore.. :(
Comparing an album to a song is kinda dumb

I remember a lot of fans complaining about Minerva when it came out, saying the melody was too simple and the song repetitive.

I_Know_ok

Quote from: Draken on Sep 06, 2020, 07:03 PM
Go in with no expectations. If you build it up in your mind you will just end up being disappointed.

That pretty much applies to anything you're anticipating in life. Especially when it's something you're really looking forward to. Great advice.

E-Money

I'm really digging the single but I'm very disappointed with it being the album closer. It's just not a closing song in my opinion. And their album closers are the best. They have pretty much and I favorite tracks on the last six records. I don't understand why they chose this song as the closer and why they chose to put it out first. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe my opinion will change when I listen to the record so I'm going to go into it with an open mind. I'm still very excited for this record.

buflen

well for me, to know if ohms fit as a closer, ill have to listen to the second to last song. Ohms is fine as a prologue if the previous song sounds like a epic closer.

Hidalgo

Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Sep 06, 2020, 06:39 PM
Ohms is just a great rock song. It has a very Deftones feel to it. The type  of rock they create is becoming extremely rare anymore for me to discover. I honestly had to try to like gore so I was a little worried about the new album. If Terry produced gore I wonder what it would have been like I guess we will never know. I don't really get into vinyl but I want to support the band maybe I will just buy a
t-shirt and the cd even though the cd will probably just collect dust some where since I use Apple Music.
Gore with Terry producing would have just sounded more crisp, and well produced. the song themselves would stay they same, since Terry only records them, and never tells them what to write. they do all their own writing

Matthewtheloser

Quote from: buflen on Sep 06, 2020, 07:55 PM
well for me, to know if ohms fit as a closer, ill have to listen to the second to last song. Ohms is fine as a prologue if the previous song sounds like a epic closer.
It's funny that you say this, because I was just about to say this exact same thing. For example, I don't think Moana would be a good closer track when listening to it isolated from the rest of the album, but it really serves a purpose after Anniversary in the track listing. Anniversary is this very floaty atmospheric that makes for a good traditional close to the flow of the album, then Moana feels like an epilogue to bring up the energy of the album one last time and close things on more of a high note.

Matthewtheloser

By the way, didn't they remove the Morse code graphics that were on some of the tracks on Spotify? Because it looks like they're back up again

Inkblades

Quote from: buflen on Sep 06, 2020, 07:55 PM

Basically. Ohms doesn't feel like a closer to me on its own, but let's wait until we actually hear the album in its full context before we really make that call.

Far away

Quote from: Draken on Sep 06, 2020, 07:03 PM
Go in with no expectations. If you build it up in your mind you will just end up being disappointed. I've learned that from past albums. Wait for the damn thing to come out, and go listen to some other music in the mean time. I like to listen to any non-heavy music, i.e. electronic, jazz, etc. like Deftones pre-show music to cleanse the palette.

1000% this

laurapalmer

Some of you guys are embarrassing yourselves.

Gaz

Quote from: laurapalmer on Sep 07, 2020, 07:15 AM
Some of you guys are embarrassing yourselves.

More context please?

Vesanic

Covid and massive anticipation are the context. Relax people. It's almost here. Don't overthink it or you'll screw it for yourself. Here's an advice: check out other music.  ;D

sharinglungs

If you guys like instrumental metal, check out "night verses". Their album From the Gallery of Sleep is absolutely killer.

Crisp X

Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 07, 2020, 09:53 AM
If you guys like instrumental metal, check out "night verses". Their album From the Gallery of Sleep is absolutely killer.
Yes yes yes. Their second album Into The Vanishing Light, despite not being instrumental, has some Deftones undertones here and there. I highly recommend the song Strange Graves in particular.

And hi! I've been lurking for a long time but I was a regular on a French Deftones forum (if I remember correctly) and on Glassjaw.net as well.  18 days to go!

E-Money

^  I love Night Verses . Got to see them about a year ago. They were incredible.

Sleeping_Giant

Sleep Token might help you survive till 9/25.

stinkfist

Haven't been here for a few weeks, was there any talk about them dropping another single before the album release?

imbrie

Quote from: stinkfist on Sep 07, 2020, 03:56 PM
Haven't been here for a few weeks, was there any talk about them dropping another single before the album release?

On the 18th.