"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

^^ That's a very true statement.

mandalay

Quote from: Divided_Spirit on Sep 10, 2020, 03:12 PM

Quote from: mandalay on Sep 10, 2020, 12:30 AM
It's incredibly pedestrian.  The magic about Deftones was always avoiding just that.  Taking a simple concept and obscuring it in shadows and layers.  Not hitting you over the head with whatever the idea is.  And not using trite, commonplace phrases.  The title "Romantic Dreams" is not up to that standard in any way.
The audacity of a random "fan" dictating what an artist should and shouldn't title THEIR art; hilarious at best, and blatant evidence of egomania at worst.
Anyone can have any opinion they want - it's not "dictating" lmao.  The true threat to creativity are blind loyalists like you who take deep, personal offense to any opinion that is critical of whatever you worship and have built your identity into.  It's weak-minded insecurity and shilling.  Stop being such a baby just because some stranger on the internet doesn't like your favorite band's song title from 8 years ago.  What a baby.

Vesanic

You don't seem aware that calling someone a baby on the internet isn't a prime example of maturity.

Sicario

Quote from: mandalay on Sep 10, 2020, 03:25 PM
Quote from: Divided_Spirit on Sep 10, 2020, 03:12 PM

It's incredibly pedestrian.  The magic about Deftones was always avoiding just that.  Taking a simple concept and obscuring it in shadows and layers.  Not hitting you over the head with whatever the idea is.  And not using trite, commonplace phrases.  The title "Romantic Dreams" is not up to that standard in any way.
The audacity of a random "fan" dictating what an artist should and shouldn't title THEIR art; hilarious at best, and blatant evidence of egomania at worst.
Anyone can have any opinion they want - it's not "dictating" lmao.  The true threat to creativity are blind loyalists like you who take deep, personal offense to any opinion that is critical of whatever you worship and have built your identity into.  It's weak-minded insecurity and shilling.  Stop being such a baby just because some stranger on the internet doesn't like your favorite band's song title from 8 years ago.  What a baby.

We are all adults. We know people have opinions. But that doesn't mean those opinions are promoting positivity towards the band. Which is what we're trying to do as members here. Most of the time anyway. If you go and read Chino's comments on expectations people place on others and on them from that recent interview, you'll see he's not too fond of it at all. It's toxic. I may not like every song title they put out but it's not my art. I can dislike it without having to blast them online about it.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

LG95

You can like or dislike anything. It's fine. But that's different to accusing fucking DEFTONES of being creatively lazy.
I could float here forever

Gaz

hilarious, next level trolling

ChubbyChino

I hope the next single is Urantia!

Vesanic

I found very interesting how he's not into watching their live stuff because he's such a self-critic. I brought this up just too many times, I wish they'd consider their archives because the potential is unreal. As the DeftonesLive founder, I couldn't be more biased obviously. I wonder what Abe and Stef think about that though.

I would assume that's why the live vinyl series got discontinued after the Adrenaline edition.

Hidalgo

really none of them seem to have big egos, and i doubt they listen to or watch their own stuff much. i believe Chino on that for sure. he's self-conscious

i think he said the next song released will have a video as well. i hope it's with director Rafatoon again

Vesanic

I don't think it's necessarily about the ego. As a sports person you could be watching old footage to see where you think you lacked to plan for possibilities to improve on whatever aspect you find yourself struggling in. I can see a performer doing the same, the parameters are very much the same after all: stamina, precision, etc.

It'd be kind of surreal to watch your own stuff while thinking "I'm so great".

buflen

Quote from: mandalay on Sep 10, 2020, 01:17 PM
Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 10, 2020, 01:13 AM
Wasn't that the same band that titled a song "Romantic Dreams."

in all honesty, what's wrong with that title? I always felt like it fit the album aesthetic nicely (and tbh if I had to name KNY after a song that would probably be it)

Hey, in my opinion, I feel chino is sometime trying too hard to be obscure, vague, artsy fartsy... with titles that have nothing to do with anything. A straight to the face message is not a bad thing at all, if it is well written, smart and  thought provoking.

But I don't really care, I'm more fan of the music and melodies than his lyrics/song titles. At least they are never cringy. Romantic Dreams is a fine song track. If I had to complain about a song track, it'd be U,U,D,D.... thats lame.

Gaz

I guess Chino is all about being in the moment when it comes to live shows and not wanting to look back on them, which is a shame, because there are so many out there for them to watch. The part where he talked about feeling weird about singing or screaming in his studio as he can hear his wife and kids upstairs, maybe it's a self confidence issue?

buflen

Well. I'm pretty sure chino is aware he is not the best live singer.
For the energy and passion, he is rarely beaten, but for just the vocal abilities ... I mean, when I watch a show where his voice doesn't crack every 10 seconds, I consider it a good show for him. The bar is ridiculously LOW. When you are there, it doesn't matter much because of the enegy, but watching it on youtube....  :o

I have no idea why he decides to sing stuff completely out of his range on albums now. He doesn't seem to have as much trouble doing older songs, well except Digital Bath.

Gaz

Quote from: buflen on Sep 10, 2020, 06:02 PM
For the energy and passion, he is rarely beaten, but for just the vocal abilities ... I mean, when I watch a show where his voice doesn't crack every 10 seconds, I consider it a good show for him. The bar is ridiculously LOW. When you are there, it doesn't matter much because of the enegy, but watching it on youtube....  :o

Some of my friends always comment on Chino's vocals live, it's like an easy go to negative reaction if people don't like them, it annoys me, but I've always said Deftones are not for everybody, some people just don't get it

buflen

Quote from: Gaz on Sep 10, 2020, 06:09 PM

Some of my friends always comment on Chino's vocals live, it's like an easy go to negative reaction if people don't like them, it annoys me, but I've always said Deftones are not for everybody, some people just don't get it
Of course. I love them to death, but I'm not completely blind (or should I say deaf) to this issue. I guess I'm more of a fan of their older shows and their albums. I will still go see them live, but I usually try to concentrate on the energy and the music, over the vocals. But it's completely understandable for most people to be turned off by Chino's live vocals.

nineteen

I just like how Chino and the rest of the guys come across as super down to earth these days. Not that they were ever super rockstars or anything but these chat style interviews are cool. Makes you feel part of it all.

ChubbyChino

I have no idea why he decides to sing stuff completely out of his range on albums now. He doesn't seem to have as much trouble doing older songs, well except Digital Bath.

I wonder why he rarely sounds good live. That Team Sleep live album/DVD recording was awesome, he sounded great, almost as good as he did on the studio album. Also, I guess his age affected his voice, take a look at performances from the early 2000s, he sounded great. Remember that he had throat issues in the past and almost lost his voice. Maybe he never fully recovered from that.

Inkblades

Quote from: mandalay on Sep 10, 2020, 01:17 PM
Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 10, 2020, 01:13 AM
Wasn't that the same band that titled a song "Romantic Dreams."

in all honesty, what's wrong with that title? I always felt like it fit the album aesthetic nicely (and tbh if I had to name KNY after a song that would probably be it)

You're being nitpicky in your criticism and also a bit inconsistent. Sure, Chino has come up with off-kilter, unique song titles that aren't always obvious, but not every single one is. Old titles like Bored and 7 Words are pretty commonplace. Bored, in particular, sounds like a boilerplate angsty 90's Gen-X song name. Other titles like My Own Summer (Shove It), Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away) and Headup are great but it doesn't exactly take a lot to figure out what they mean. Romantic Dreams, on the other hand, is maybe less clear-cut than you are making it out to be. Is it the most unique song title Chino has ever come up with? No, but Romantic Dreams could still mean a lot of different things. It could be romantic dreams about a person you love, it could be romantic dreams about life, it could have been a romantic dream about Chi waking up and returning to the band for all we know.

BTW, Romantic Dreams has never been one of my favorite Deftones songs. I always thought the song had some shifts in tone that were a little too drastic, from the melodramatic verses to a joyful, poppy chorus, but it has actually kind of grown on me recently. Maybe it's the shift I've had from 26 to 34 in those eight years since Koi dropped, so I appreciate it more.

imbrie

Quote from: ChubbyChino on Sep 10, 2020, 07:18 PM

I wonder why he rarely sounds good live. That Team Sleep live album/DVD recording was awesome, he sounded great, almost as good as he did on the studio album. Also, I guess his age affected his voice, take a look at performances from the early 2000s, he sounded great. Remember that he had throat issues in the past and almost lost his voice. Maybe he never fully recovered from that.

Yeah, he sounds amazing on that Team Sleep live recording. I think all that screaming obviously impacted immensely and the throat problem has no doubt had a lasting affect.

Gaz

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 10, 2020, 07:24 PM
Quote from: ChubbyChino on Sep 10, 2020, 07:18 PM

Yeah, he sounds amazing on that Team Sleep live recording. I think all that screaming obviously impacted immensely and the throat problem has no doubt had a lasting affect.

100% it will have an impact, all the years of screaming, night after night on tour will have a long lasting effect, that coupled with the throat issues he had.