Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

I hope the rumors of Sergio being replaced are not true.....

Started by RaptureWS, Mar 01, 2022, 02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlimmeringMaggit

Yeah that's weird.

Although the Stef thing has nothing to do with anything either.
Formerly LG95

rainnyx4

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 11, 2022, 11:32 AM
Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 11, 2022, 06:02 AM
Quote from: nicklav on Mar 11, 2022, 02:41 AM
They don't owe you anything.

They do owe it to Sergio, though

No they don't. Sergio should be thankful for the time he got though.
deftones never making the stand-in for chi a full time member was always the right thing to do.Sergio was always a hired gun, but he could never deeply understand that was where it stopped. He has not been involved in building up the band from rags to riches, just jumped onboard when the ship was already sailing.

Seems to me he got greedy for more money and titles and never fully got what the band been through and why he was there. And now he is canned. grasp all, lose all. all we got from him was gore and that retarded bassline in radiant city, good riddance

Objectively awful take. Sergio revitalized this band and has been integral to the writing process at least since KNY. I can understand him being on a "hired gun" level for DE since that was his first appearance. But over a decade and three more albums? Fucking crazy. No one truly knows who is in the wrong other than the band members. But all available evidence unfortunately points to the band and not Sergio.

Inkblades

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 11, 2022, 11:32 AM
Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 11, 2022, 06:02 AM
Quote from: nicklav on Mar 11, 2022, 02:41 AM
They don't owe you anything.

They do owe it to Sergio, though

No they don't. Sergio should be thankful for the time he got though.
deftones never making the stand-in for chi a full time member was always the right thing to do.Sergio was always a hired gun, but he could never deeply understand that was where it stopped. He has not been involved in building up the band from rags to riches, just jumped onboard when the ship was already sailing.

Seems to me he got greedy for more money and titles and never fully got what the band been through and why he was there. And now he is canned. grasp all, lose all. all we got from him was gore and that retarded bassline in radiant city, good riddance

Post this on the subreddit. I wanna see how many times you get downvoted lol.

While I feel a bit more sympathy for Sergio than you do, I do agree he was the most replaceable "member" of the band. If Chino or Stephen left it would immediately end the band and if Abe or Frank left it would be a tremendous blow to their sound. They can lose Sergio and still retain their sound.

nicklav

Yeah I was definitely speaking to the cheap shots taken at Steph. The Sergio situation is tough, and we only have one side of the story.

GlimmeringMaggit

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 11, 2022, 05:15 PM
While I feel a bit more sympathy for Sergio than you do, I do agree he was the most replaceable "member" of the band. If Chino or Stephen left it would immediately end the band and if Abe or Frank left it would be a tremendous blow to their sound. They can lose Sergio and still retain their sound.
It'd be band over if Abe ever left as well. Those three always have been the core. They might carry on if Frank ever left but that would be a sore one for them too.

I don't think any of those things will happen without something drastic anyway. It's just a bit of a shame for Sergio at this stage. I think he did a very fine job coming in at a difficult time and I really like his work particularly on KNY and Ohms. I can only assume the band just never wanted to officially replace Chi. Which would be understandable. It seems like there must have been some miscommunication somewhere along the line. Sergio seemed to be contributing everything a proper band member would and maybe there were some crossed wires about what that meant 'officially'.

Anyway, most of this is just speculation. Doesn't really matter.
Formerly LG95

from_musings

Ya'll know the tale of the dog who had a piece of meat in his mouth, went out on a bridge and saw his own reflection in the water,thought the piece of meat in the water looked bigger, gaped after it, and then lost the piece of meat he had. That's sergio right there. he brought it on himself. But ppl are still for serg and against deftones? smh. Maybe ppl should set up a "one love for serg" donation fund

N0S3BLEED976

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: nicklav on Mar 11, 2022, 05:31 PM
Yeah I was definitely speaking to the cheap shots taken at Steph. The Sergio situation is tough, and we only have one side of the story.

Stef left himself wide open for ,,cheap shots". He is a tool  and deserves being made fun of. I'd be hesitant to call myself a Deftones fan in public, right now. Shit's embarassing.

nicklav

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 12, 2022, 11:46 AM
Quote from: nicklav on Mar 11, 2022, 05:31 PM

Stef left himself wide open for ,,cheap shots". He is a tool  and deserves being made fun of. I'd be hesitant to call myself a Deftones fan in public, right now. Shit's embarassing.

Sounds like a personal problem. I understand you need to broadcast your virtue but, once again, they owe narcissists like yourself nothing.

from_musings

Quote from: GlimmeringMaggit on Mar 11, 2022, 06:14 PM
I can only assume the band just never wanted to officially replace Chi. Which would be understandable.

Well there you go. deftones have done something upright and honorable during all these years, yet ppl are giving them shit for it. go figure

rainnyx4

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 12, 2022, 08:14 PM
Quote from: GlimmeringMaggit on Mar 11, 2022, 06:14 PM
I can only assume the band just never wanted to officially replace Chi. Which would be understandable.

Well there you go. deftones have done something upright and honorable during all these years, yet ppl are giving them shit for it. go figure

This is only one person's assumption. Again, the only information we have for any conclusions are Sergio's words and some shit Chino said. Absent any other information, I'm more inclined to believe what Sergio said. Stop deifying the band. While they're amazing musicians, I'm sure they're more than capable of being perfectly shitty people.

E-Money

I think it's one thing when you are just filling in for live shows with the band. But when you are actually sitting down and writing records together which they have done four times. In my opinion that makes him part of the band. His Creativity and blood sweat and tears are a major part of the last four records. And I personally think they should've worked it out. We don't know the whole story so it's hard to judge what really happened.

I wonder if there will be another bass player that comes in and if they will make another record with somebody else? I hope we at least get one more record out of them.

Vesanic

I can sort of imagine how one would think the band owe them a statement, realistically though they never owed them anything. That's my perspective.

I was always hesitant about Sergio as a replacement but that's just me, I think the band was able to carry on in part thanks to his presence, input and involvement. Sergio went on to say he was told he'd become a full member over time and granted that's true, there's definitely a blurred line in that aspect of the situation, which I can only assume wasn't handled properly.

I do feel bummed out about the unresolved conflict, I think this reaches something a little more personal though and I don't get how people are using the ordeal as a basis to take a stand against the band. That's not to dismiss anything in the situation, I have no interest sitting in judgement.

I think it's a great thing they're going to be back on tour soon, after 2 and half years of no touring, and I'm curious about Deftones with a new bass player.

Inkblades

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 30, 2022, 01:33 PM
I do feel bummed out about the unresolved conflict, I think this reaches something a little more personal though and I don't get how people are using the ordeal as a basis to take a stand against the band. That's not to dismiss anything in the situation, I have no interest sitting in judgement.

There's always a strong initial backlash when shakeups like this happen, but it's already died down. Look at the subreddit now, it's mostly back to Deftones fandom like nothing even happened lol.

sharinglungs

from_musings

Quote from: Martin on Apr 21, 2022, 06:32 PM
https://www.theprp.com/2022/04/20/news/sergio-vega-speaks-further-on-leaving-deftones-reveals-his-new-project-will-feature-a-new-song-with-ex-every-time-i-die-vocalist-keith-buckley/

Sergio:  ".. when I filled-in for Chi in '99—he had hurt his toe—bringing that energy and that excitement, having his back, having his band's back.

And then at one point Chino [Moreno, Deftones] comes to me and was like 'Hey, if we asked you to join the band, what would you say?'  [I responded] 'I would tell you that Chi is your boy. This is fun and exciting, Chi is your boy, roll with Chi and that's gonna be great.'"

What exactly does sergio mean here - that chino actually wanted to kick Chi out of the band, before his accident, and bring in sergio instead? All due to a broken toe? I find that very hard to believe. Maybe serg should just shut his face,stop trashing the band,and move on

Inkblades

Pretty tacky and disrespectful of Sergio to bring Chi into this. Fine to talk about whatever problems you have with the band, but leave Chi and his legacy out of it. Stuff like this is probably what Chino was alluding to when he said Sergio was outta pocket.

kurtone

I think he's implying that if Chi didn't come back from the injury he would have been asked to replace him.