Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

I hope the rumors of Sergio being replaced are not true.....

Started by RaptureWS, Mar 01, 2022, 04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptureWS

I am sure many of you have seen rumors floating around that Sergio is indeed leaving the band/being replaced. I saw some comments on a Facebook that stated he will be replaced by a bassists from another well known act. Again, just rumors, and the details I read were merely social media comments. But I don't understand why someone would conjure up these stories if they were false.

IMO, Sergio was an absolutely perfect fit for the band after Chi's tragic accident. It took a long time for me to really see him for who he was, rather than compare him to Chi. Sergio has just been a fantastic member these past 14 years and I appreciate his contribution to Deftones more than any other words could say. If any of this is true, I hope it was amicable and they are all still great friends.

Real bummer :(
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Inkblades

Hmmm, I suppose it's possible, but until an official announcement is made, I would just file under internet rumors. I guess what's making people think that is they uploaded a profile picture on Spotify without Sergio. I know Chino said on one of those podcasts that they meet up roughly once a month (without Sergio because he's on the east coast and/or touring with Quicksand). It's possible that someone just snapped a picture of them during one of those meetings as it looks pretty recent. The only other thing that could bring in a replacement is if the upcoming Deftones tour was at the same time as a Quicksand tour, but I dunno Quicksand's tour dates.

GlimmeringMaggit

The fact he hasn't replied to any comments on socials makes me think it's true.
Formerly LG95

mrpelon94

wtf are these rumors coming from?.....are they true ?

Inkblades

A lot of places. There's a big reddit thread on it. And it's looking more and more like its true. It is what it is, I guess.

Inkblades

It's official, Sergio has stated he is no longer in Deftones:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Ca3t3Hkg5ON/?utm_medium=copy_link

Welp, end of an era. Sergio's a good guy and a damn fine musician. Wish him the best.

Pink_Sands

This is a pretty ugly situation if Sergio's perspective is true. The band never recognizing him an as official member throughout 14 years is pretty cold if you ask me. I doubt he'd be getting much money from streams, merch, etc during the COVID downtime, if any. I'm getting some bad vibes from this.

GlimmeringMaggit

If he left early last year then it's actually just over eleven years because he first joined for shows in mid-2009. But the point stands.

I presumed that post-Chi's death he was an official member.
Formerly LG95

Martin

Just read about this.
Wow, this sucks.
Always thought Sergio was a legit full member.

Penicks

really bizarre how he has to thank the other members in a video message, you'd think that they'd at least have a whatsapp group together

E-Money

Wow crazy news. I can't believe he was not made an official member after all of those years of writing records together and touring the world together. How dumb is that?

RaptureWS

Quote from: Martin on Mar 09, 2022, 11:34 AM
Just read about this.
Wow, this sucks.
Always thought Sergio was a legit full member.

Same. As someone said earlier, something feels odd here. Really sad to hear.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

from_musings

He was always a stand-in in my eyes, don't care for how long. Same would go for anyone else playing bass in the band after Chi. Serg should be glad for the opportunity to play with the sickest band there is. dont let the door hit u on the way out i guess

N0S3BLEED976

After that flat-earth, anti-vax shit show from last year, to me this is the second nail in the coffin for the band. They had a year to say anything, fucking hell

mrpelon94

nicklav

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 10, 2022, 09:04 AM
After that flat-earth, anti-vax shit show from last year, to me this is the second nail in the coffin for the band. They had a year to say anything, fucking hell

They don't owe you anything.

N0S3BLEED976

from_musings

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 11, 2022, 08:02 AM
Quote from: nicklav on Mar 11, 2022, 04:41 AM
They don't owe you anything.

They do owe it to Sergio, though

No they don't. Sergio should be thankful for the time he got though.
deftones never making the stand-in for chi a full time member was always the right thing to do.Sergio was always a hired gun, but he could never deeply understand that was where it stopped. He has not been involved in building up the band from rags to riches, just jumped onboard when the ship was already sailing.

Seems to me he got greedy for more money and titles and never fully got what the band been through and why he was there. And now he is canned. grasp all, lose all. all we got from him was gore and that retarded bassline in radiant city, good riddance

N0S3BLEED976