Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChickdelaLynch

Quote from: one weak on Jan 21, 2007, 07:32 PM
the black dahlia was okay, not great. a bit all over the place.

I agree, although I have to admit it was Josh Hartnett's best role.

defskull

Transporter 2 was not as good as the original. Plenty of cheese, but not as funny as the original.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: defskull on Jan 23, 2007, 09:38 PM
Saw isn't a trilogy though. They're making more.

Oh boy.  True.  I read an article where they said it wasn't meant to go past the third, but then I did some research after reading your comment and discovered that, tada, there will be a fourth.  Not sure if that's good or not, but it'll be written by the guys who wrote Feast, so it might be a good thing.  That also explains why the original writers said no to a fourth, because they weren't invited to the party.

one weak

Quote from: ChickdelaLynch on Jan 24, 2007, 04:53 AM
Quote from: one weak on Jan 21, 2007, 07:32 PM
the black dahlia was okay, not great. a bit all over the place.

I agree, although I have to admit it was Josh Hartnett's best role.

agreed

ChickdelaLynch

I saw Notes On A Scandal today. If Cate Blanchett or Judi Dench weren't in it, it wouldn't have been as good. They definitely made the movie worth watching. I could have done without the plot.

I am really looking forward to Zodiac.

BigDave

last king of scotland is alright.

one weak

Drakesmoke1

Can anyone recommend any really good werewolf films?

I've seen:
American Werewolf in London (an amazing, amazing film)
Ginger Snaps (interesting, quite funny/tragic)
The Company of Wolves (chin-stroker)
Underworlds I and II
Van Helsing (well there's a couple of werewolves in it)

Aside from the Howling, are there any other good ones?
'That island, on the beach. We could take this boat...'

Azwethinkweiz

you should definitely check out the movie called dog soldiers. great werewolf movie with a nice twist of black humor.

wolf (feat. jack nicholson) is also pretty good.

and last, but not least the wolf man (a must-see classic).

Drakesmoke1

Yes, I forgot Dog Soldiers. I've seen it.

I don't particularly like the old 'man with lots of fur glued on his face' type films, but I'll definitely check out Jack.

It's such a shame. Werewolves are so much cooler than vampires yet directors persistently make crap films about them.
'That island, on the beach. We could take this boat...'

oldgentlovecraft

Silver Bullet
Kibakichi 1 and 2 (a samurai werewolf, more fantasy and monster movie than horror)
Bad Moon (low budget but not too bad)
The Beast Within (weird shit, hard to find, but worth it)
Wolfen

That is a subgenre you don't get to see many movies from.

Mazzy

jacob's ladder is always going to be one of my all time favourite movies, but this time around it kind of BOTHERED me. i didn't feel like moving for a long time after it ended, so i just didn't. maybe it just takes a couple times to sink in or something. it was really convincing. maybe because i already knew what the deal was, unlike the first time and i thought it was just another horror movie (albeit the single most influential horror movie of recent decades). the idea of him not knowing what the fuck was going on in any way at all ever during 95% of the story and his reactions to that were gut-wrenching. if i was a crier, i would have bawled. what a fucked up story.

oldgentlovecraft

What has it influenced?

Mazzy

it has been influential over more recent horror hits. if you watch it you'll understand. it is truly frightening, and slightly underappreciated - being from the 80's, it contains some indescribably disturbing images.

oldgentlovecraft

I personally own over 500 horror films and was curious to see which were influenced by Jacob's Ladder.  I've seen it and you obviously don't have any examples.

Mazzy

you know the visuals in the movie such as the vibrating faces, and jacob's ladder was the first to use vibrating heads as far as i know, well, i saw something almost identical to it in house on haunted hill. and some reviewers have likened the sixth sense to it although i don't really get the linkage really.

"Jacob's Ladder is the grandfather of the "rubber reality" films that became so popular throughout the 1990s and into the 2000s. The films with the most direct influence from Jacob's Ladder have appeared more recently-- Memento (2000), Mulholland Dr. (2001), The I Inside (2003), and The Butterfly Effect (2004). Less obvious, but also strongly influenced are films such as Abre los ojos (1997)/Vanilla Sky (2001), eXistenZ (1999), The Thirteenth Floor (1999) and The Matrix (1999), as well as films where the "rubber reality" is usually played more straight, such as The Sixth Sense (1999) and The Others (2001)."

i'm not the only one who obviously thinks it has had influence.

and about your personal collection of 500 horror movies...i didn't really ask [and you should really start collecting documentaries instead]. i stated that it was influential because it has been spoken about by many respected reviewers to be an influential movie in that genre. if you ask me, i wouldn't even call it horror. there's a few scary parts but not really horror.

oldgentlovecraft

Much better!  I hadn't heard anything about its influence and was curious.  The reason I told you about my collection was to share with you that I have an interest in horror films.  And you're right, if you want to get technical, it might be considered terror, since it's more about the unknown psychological truama than anything else.  But since fear is objective, it all depends on your point of view.  Some of the films that were influenced by it don't have an extremely strong link, but  I could see overall how they've taken their cues from the film.

Mazzy

dude, come over my house right now. how awkward to watch a movie with people like you. it's like, "omg, am i saying the right thing about what i think this scene is about? omg". see, i don't know a lot about movies, except australian movies - i dare you to shut me up, but i know a lot about documentaries. too much. so much that people never want to watch one with me because i get so excited because then i have an 'audience' and it's not just me.

i was half way through abre los ojos actually then my dad came in and said, "oh no, stop with these movies about disfigured people!" that was sort of que to turn it off.

offer still stands. i live in sydney and the air conditioner is on and i have boxers on. how can you resist that!!

oldgentlovecraft

I'm actually not that bad, promise.  I think they beat it into me in college.  I love dark movies, mostly horror, but I don't limit myself.  When I watch a movie all those annoying analytical comments stay in my brain unless someone wants to discuss a movie.  It seems we're alike in the way that people won't watch horror films with me because I already have done research or have prior knowledge about everything I watch.  Haven't watched many documentaries though...

ONLY boxers?  I'm buying a ticket right now...