Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wither-I

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Mar 31, 2008, 10:00 AM
The guy did what very few people have the balls to do which is figure out who he was and what made him happy. Not everyone is programmed to grind existence out 9-5, retire and then be bitter because life passed them by.

After reading many of the comments on IMDB it strikes me that there is this sneering western arrogance about life and how much of a fool you'd have to be to even try this. Not everyone's idea of heaven is a McMansion and a partnership at a law firm.

By attempting discovery though exile you are pursuing the highest calling there is - know thyself. Discovering this inner gnosis goes beyond family, society and all other self imposed systems that man has created for himself.

By focusing on whether he had a map or not really misses the entire sentiment of the movie. Sure, the guy made some mistakes and payed for it but he lived more in that year than most 9-5ers ever will.

Rather than glamorising stupidity I think it shows what much of current modern living has become - hollow, narrow minded, and self-serving. This kind of existence is way more selfish and stupid IMHO.
the thing is man i completely agree with you! im def not one of the 9-5 ers and never will be... ive hopped trains before and i would do it again. i honestly believe his intentions and ideas were good but just not "good enough". i dont mean to bash him. but you see i lost my brother 4 years ago- he was murdered in new orleans, and then my father died after hurricane katrina from cancer-cause he couldnt recieve any services. and now its just me and my mom... i dont live with her, but i dont live far-the thing ive realized is that i have an incredible responsibility with her, and we grieve together. ive been wanting for a long time to just leave and get the fuck out-no questions asked, but i know my mom cannot grieve for another. we are all each other have. i dont mean to sound sappy myself or whatever- but i can honestly say i have achieved forgiveness (especially to the man who killed my brother!) in other ways, rather than hiding out or running away. ive nearly stagnated for four years facing some harsh shit... i guess thats why the whole "my parents have problems and it effects me sooo much" thing is just worn to me. i dont mean to boast or ramble, and i definitly know what the movie/his life was about, im just being critical of some of his judgements. but i def do agree with you azwe, and if there is one thing i  will never be-that is a suckfish to the system-and the static existence so many obide by.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

lithium

i saw the point of the movie, dropping it all, living off the land, being alone and being a ghost.

everyday now is a struggle too man. it's very romantic to say you can live without money, work or all that bullshit that he hated.
but you cant, not in a working society. go to school get a job and make money.

this movie isnt garbage, it's just not for me.

💩

lithium

saw the mist last night, good movie

*spoilers*

I hate bugs. the one part that made me cringe is when the MP exploted from all the "spider" like bugs in him
💩

theis

dude, spoilers?

but yeah, great movie. some nasty scenes.

Penicks

Being John Malkovich

Brilliant!

goldpony

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Mar 31, 2008, 10:00 AM
The guy did what very few people have the balls to do which is figure out who he was and what made him happy. Not everyone is programmed to grind existence out 9-5, retire and then be bitter because life passed them by.

After reading many of the comments on IMDB it strikes me that there is this sneering western arrogance about life and how much of a fool you'd have to be to even try this. Not everyone's idea of heaven is a McMansion and a partnership at a law firm.

By attempting discovery through exile you are pursuing the highest calling there is - know thyself. Discovering this inner gnosis goes beyond family, society and all other self imposed systems that man has created for himself.

By focusing on whether he had a map or not really misses the entire sentiment of the movie. Sure, the guy made some mistakes and payed for it but he lived more in that year than most 9-5ers ever will.

Rather than glamorising stupidity I think it shows what much of current modern living has become - hollow, narrow minded, and self-serving. This kind of existence is way more selfish and stupid IMHO.

Anyone with any kind of outdoor/survival training pretty much thinks this guy is a fucktard (including me). Yes, living off the land and not answering to "the man" is a romantic notion but he went about it all wrong. anyone attempting to do this (yes, there are people in alaska who live like he wanted to) has to realize that living this type of life you need to have a plan and proper training. to do what he did and just throw him self into it was incredibly stupid and should not be glamourized as idealistic and freeing. living off the land in the wild is one of the toughest things anyone can do. yes, we all want to throw off the shackles and live free, but what this guy did was beyond stupid. Yes he might have lived more in that one year than most people ever will. just dont forget that the way he went about it is pretty much how not to do it. its one thing to take a risk, its another to take a risk with no plan.
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

ToneDef

Saw The Orphanage a week or so ago. Great movie.

The part where she's knocking on the wall and turning around.. I was like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.." .

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: ToneDef on Apr 04, 2008, 08:15 AM
Saw The Orphanage a week or so ago. Great movie.

The part where she's knocking on the wall and turning around.. I was like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.." .

Damn I want to see that.

deafnotes

2 japanese anime will get remake.....

dragon ball: the one will play goku's character is white.
akira: the leading character (akira) will be played by white actor (rumored)

wtf lol

13hourstoparadise

Meet Joe Black - So far the most boring fucking movie I've ever seen... But god that woman is beautiful.

Penicks

Thumbsucker

I liked it. Loved the cinematography. Wasn't made for a broad public however. I can easily imagine people finding watching paint dry more interesting than this movie.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Apr 05, 2008, 03:37 PM
Meet Joe Black - So far the most boring fucking movie I've ever seen... But god that woman is beautiful.

agreed. and isnt she from mallrats
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Mikey

Quote from: deafnotes on Apr 05, 2008, 07:13 AM
2 japanese anime will get remake.....

dragon ball: the one will play goku's character is white.
akira: the leading character (akira) will be played by white actor (rumored)

wtf lol

whao there, hoss. the main character in akira is TETSUO.

but yeah, hollywood is fucking stupid.
there is supposed to be a live action Neon Genesis Evangelion Movie, and everybody is white in that one too.

THIS IS SOME BULLSHIT.

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Apr 05, 2008, 04:55 PM
Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Apr 05, 2008, 03:37 PM

agreed. and isnt she from mallrats

Oh yeah, good call.

White Pwny

I watched Orgazmo.   Srsly, maybe the worst waste of an hour and a half.     Horrible.
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

bright lights, big city

Quote from: White Pwny on Apr 06, 2008, 08:54 PM
I watched Orgazmo.   Srsly, maybe the worst waste of an hour and a half.     Horrible.

haha i love that movie. one of the best intro songs ever created, too.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Fireal1222

im watching the movie. BIG

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

lithium

💩

blondie

saw 21 this weekend. it was pretty cool. kevin spacey was marvelous as always.

felt kinda' long though.

4/5 rainbows.

bright lights, big city

just from seeing the 21 commercial every 15 minutes and hearing kevin spacey say "and don't call me dude" i do not want to see the movie. sorry just had to put that out there.
DERP