Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

Moon.

Fantastic, but I wish it would've been longer.

9/10.

chick de la lynch

I saw Funny Games last night (2007 re-make), and it was one of those films that kept you thinking long after it was over. I also was scared shitless and didn't want to go to bed right after seeing it. I have heard a lot of complaints about it being too violent, but I think it needed to be violent in order to get its point across. This film truly depicts how violence plays a big part in our society. The MPAA rates harder on sex than violence. It did a great job of creeping me out, and getting its message across.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Feb 04, 2010, 07:23 AM
I saw Funny Games last night (2007 re-make), and it was one of those films that kept you thinking long after it was over. I also was scared shitless and didn't want to go to bed right after seeing it. I have heard a lot of complaints about it being too violent, but I think it needed to be violent in order to get its point across. This film truly depicts how violence plays a big part in our society. The MPAA rates harder on sex than violence. It did a great job of creeping me out, and getting its message across.

It's almost scene for scene identical to the original, but the original packs an even greater punch imo.

chick de la lynch

I put the original version on my Netflix, so I'll give my review of that in a few days. I'm imagining the '97 version being a hell of a lot creepier, which is a good thing for me.

I just got finished watching Little Ashes. I don't know too much about Salvador Dalí's history, so I guess it gave me some history of him (All I know is I love his art). I zoned out of the film quite a few times, but I have to say I did see acting potential in Robert Pattinson. He didn't do a mind blowing performance, but he did prove that in a few years he can hone his talent. Well, just as long as he picks good roles.

defskull

I just watched In Bruges tonight.  Was it just me or does that movie go by extremely fast?  What felt like 30 minutes to me was the entire length of the movie.  It was very brisk and quite good.  Though I loathe the term 'dramedy', the movie was I guess what you would call a black dramedy.  Ridiculously good performance by Colin Farrel.  The dude can act.  Great story. Very real characters.  And some extremely funny scenes.  I'll probably be watching it again in teh future.

blixa

monster's ball was not impressive. billy bob thornton is sexy...well, i already knew that!

no one's performance really stuck out, except for mos def. perhaps i'm being too harsh. it had potential though.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: defskull on Feb 05, 2010, 07:34 AM
I just watched In Bruges tonight.  Was it just me or does that movie go by extremely fast?  What felt like 30 minutes to me was the entire length of the movie.  It was very brisk and quite good.  Though I loathe the term 'dramedy', the movie was I guess what you would call a black dramedy.  Ridiculously good performance by Colin Farrel.  The dude can act.  Great story. Very real characters.  And some extremely funny scenes.  I'll probably be watching it again in teh future.
agreed completely. i loved the midget.

not really the same type of movie, but you should check out In The Loop. It came out on dvd a couple weeks ago and does an interesting comedic take on war. It has a dark, British-style humor to it that for some reason reminded me of In Bruges. Coincidentally, it just got nominated for a screenplay Oscar (which In Bruges won last year)
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

defskull

In Bruges didn't win it.  It was nominated though. Anyway, funny you mention In The Loop.  I heard it's pretty good and I've heard the comparison to In Bruges before.  One website said it's probably the filthiest, dirtiest script to ever be nominated for an Academy Award.  That right there has me interested in it. 

lostpilot

Angels in America

Well, this movie (miniseries.. eh?) was something absolutely different I could ever expect. First of all, I loved how theatrical it was, with all the perfect dialogues and conversations with words worth gold. Cinematography (as well as the characters in second half of the movie) was just sublime, magical. Characters were mostly intriguing, broken and "alive". The only thing I disliked in this movie is that it is 70% based on homosexuality. No, it's not like that there is a homosexual character and you explore things about him different than the sexual preference, but the movie was actually built on homosexuality (if I'm right, almost every male character in this movie was an open or a closeted homosexual), and not in a way that I liked. But anyway, it was also based on sickness/disease and psychosis/substance abuse, which made it really interesting. So, generally, this movie was really good with the play-like interactions and kinda depressing stories of people, but the gayness (imagine the funeral of a drag queen with hundreds of drag queens in the church - it was a bit humorous, but not my cup of tea, yeaaaaah) kinda killed the whole potential of the movie. 8/10
anyway, a definite recommendation for anyone with a mind open enough.

blixa

Quote from: lostpilot on Feb 06, 2010, 12:25 AM
Angels in America

Well, this movie (miniseries.. eh?) was something absolutely different I could ever expect. First of all, I loved how theatrical it was, with all the perfect dialogues and conversations with words worth gold. Cinematography (as well as the characters in second half of the movie) was just sublime, magical. Characters were mostly intriguing, broken and "alive". The only thing I disliked in this movie is that it is 70% based on homosexuality. No, it's not like that there is a homosexual character and you explore things about him different than the sexual preference, but the movie was actually built on homosexuality (if I'm right, almost every male character in this movie was an open or a closeted homosexual), and not in a way that I liked. But anyway, it was also based on sickness/disease and psychosis/substance abuse, which made it really interesting. So, generally, this movie was really good with the play-like interactions and kinda depressing stories of people, but the gayness (imagine the funeral of a drag queen with hundreds of drag queens in the church - it was a bit humorous, but not my cup of tea, yeaaaaah) kinda killed the whole potential of the movie. 8/10
anyway, a definite recommendation for anyone with a mind open enough.

the whole thing is about homosexuality though hahaha what were you expecting? it's a gay fantasia. i personally loved it. it left me feeling the way i felt after the first time i watched philadelphia: content. i wish i had the chance to see it on broadway.

chick de la lynch

I FINALLY got around to watching The Hurt Locker last night. I'm not keen on war films, but I gotta say I liked this one a lot. It was present, intense, and the ending kept me thinking. I will seriously throw something at the TV if Kathryn Bigelow loses the Best Director nod. I think this is the closest a woman has ever come to winning an Oscar for Best Director, and I'm really excited.

nonesuch

not sure about the in the loop/in bruges comparison,  but both are definetly worthy flix

in the loop is more like "the office" (british original) but really good dialog and a very clever skewering of the modern politcal machine. 

Also i dont see how the "filthiest, dirtiest script" comment applies to either movie, because neither are what i would call filthy or dirty
i drink your milkshake

defskull

I was referring to In the Loop.  And it's what I read on some site.  And more specifically, the site said that it was the dirtiest script nominated for a Best Screenplay Oscar

chick de la lynch

So I watched the original version of Funny Games last night, and even though both films are scene-by-scene the same, somehow the '97 version felt more brutal. I think that maybe the German family may have been more naïve than the American family. In the American version, you get the sense that they're a little more cautious than the German family, especially Naomi Watts' character. And looking back on it, in the American version Tim Roth could have done a better job in the acting department. I felt more of the father's pain in the German version.

theis

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Feb 07, 2010, 12:33 AM
I FINALLY got around to watching The Hurt Locker last night. I'm not keen on war films, but I gotta say I liked this one a lot. It was present, intense, and the ending kept me thinking. I will seriously throw something at the TV if Kathryn Bigelow loses the Best Director nod. I think this is the closest a woman has ever come to winning an Oscar for Best Director, and I'm really excited.

Watched it for the second time tonight.

Really fantastic flick. It deserves to win Best Picture.

Jacob

just finished watching Inglorious Basterds, great movie, it definitely lived up to the hype. I was a bit disappointed with Brad Pitts acting and his role - I thought he would have a much more important role, and I thought his acting would be more more "out there", judging from what I've read and heard. still, he was very good.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

theis

Brad Pitt was funny (the "Italien" scene had me in stitches), but my favorite characters were definitely Shosanna and Hans Landa.

Christoph Waltz put on an amazing performance. I hope he win Best Supporting Actor.

blixa

have to wait till may for this:

your sister gets me hard

Quote from: blixa on Feb 08, 2010, 05:31 AM

Is it a movie about delicious food?

blixa

Quote from: your sister gets me hard on Feb 08, 2010, 05:45 AM
Quote from: blixa on Feb 08, 2010, 05:31 AM

Is it a movie about delicious food?

no. it's about melbourne's criminal underworld.

are you ever going to stop teasing me about that part of my life?