Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

I thought it was pretty bad actually.  Despite how bad I felt it was, it never was too boring or anything.  I'd say if anyone sees it on tv, it would be worth it to tune in but otherwise don't go out of your way

blixa

i watched daybreakers and quarantine today.

daybreakers was alright. willem dafoe was kind of annoying in it though, which is strange because i usually like him a lot. i thought the whole basis of the cure was smart. simple and smart.

quarantine kept me captivated so bad. i had to pause it a few times because it was just too much for me to stomach. i thought of how horrible it would be for something like that was to happen to any one of us. the government's response was fucked up as hell. also jennifer carpenter can't act that well.

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Feb 13, 2010, 10:45 PM
I saw Fur the other day. I knew a little bit about Diane Arbus' work, but not much and I still didn't know a lot about her work after watching this film. I will say Robert Downey Jr. can still charm the pants off me even with a face completely covered with hair. Overall, the film fell flat and I wasn't impressed. I always figured Diane Arbus as being a very interesting woman since her works were interesting. I think there is more to her than just her fascination with people who don't fit into the norm of society. I wished they explored that a little bit more.

what was your honest opinion of nicole kidman as diane arbus? please be blunt.

chick de la lynch

Ok, first off let me say I love Nicole Kidman and she's got some great acting chops. However, she didn't impress me in this film. I actually thought she was annoying in the film. I felt horrible for her husband and daughters, and maybe Arbus was really like that when it came to her photography. Her acting job felt a little melodramatic, and faded in this film rather than popping out. Robert Downey Jr. definitely out shined her.

Penicks

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Shit. Why they even continued making this movie when Ledger died in the middle of the shooting is beyond me. It's obvious Terry Gilliam had no idea what to do with the script so he put a bunch of annoying random shit in it. Thank god for that one minute of Johnny Depp.

So I watched Bolt a few days ago and it sucked so I wanted to see a good animated film so I saw Toy Story 2 and Up today so that kind of restored my faith that there's still good stuff amongst piles of ass.

so true

Jacob

yeah, I'm fucking sick of the not-so-cute and not-so-funny animated animals they spoon feed us these days. it's all the same steaming pile of shit to me.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

blixa

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Feb 14, 2010, 08:43 PM
Ok, first off let me say I love Nicole Kidman and she's got some great acting chops. However, she didn't impress me in this film. I actually thought she was annoying in the film. I felt horrible for her husband and daughters, and maybe Arbus was really like that when it came to her photography. Her acting job felt a little melodramatic, and faded in this film rather than popping out. Robert Downey Jr. definitely out shined her.

the movie isn't based on the real diane arbus. it was based on a biography that patricia bosworth wrote on arbus, but as far as i know, it's only slightly accurate and the rest is just imagined. most artists once they're drawn into their work and practice become withdrawn and selfish because that is what they have to do to work. i'm not really impressed with nicole kidman at all. the hours was alright. i actually really dislike photography movies, as strange as that sounds.

i heard a francesca woodman movie was in the works. i hope it doesn't eventuate. woodman kind of needs to be left alone.

chick de la lynch

I figured it was mostly fiction since a lot of it had some weird imagery. I don't know why they went down Artsy Road. It would have been better off if they just stuck her life and dramatized some parts. It didn't help the film any.

As far as making films about artists or musicians, it never really delivers. I think part of it is (At least for me), I have an idealized vision of them when in fact they're the complete opposite of what I see them as. It's a "love the art, not the artist" kind of thing. I've been looking at art extensively the past two and a half years, and you would think I would be able to separate the two by now.

I thought Nicole Kidman was great in The Hours. I also loved her in Eyes Wide Shut.

Does anyone else bawl like crazy when they watch a Pixar film, or is that just me?

theis

Blade Runner - Final Cut.

Watched it with a friend, who hadn't seen it before, and he loved it.

Such a flawless masterpiece. Gets better with each viewing.

10/10

nonesuch

Quote from: theis on Feb 16, 2010, 12:26 AM
Blade Runner - Final Cut.

Watched it with a friend, who hadn't seen it before, and he loved it.

Such a flawless masterpiece. Gets better with each viewing.

10/10

si
i drink your milkshake

lostpilot

The Lovely Bones was really cool.

nonesuch

Quote from: lostpilot on Feb 16, 2010, 11:05 AM

thank you, glad im not the only  one

Crazy Heart - worth the view for sure.  Jeff Bridges continues to abide.  That dude is one of the coolest humans ever
i drink your milkshake

lostpilot

Quote from: nonesuch on Feb 16, 2010, 11:59 AM
Quote from: lostpilot on Feb 16, 2010, 11:05 AM

thank you, glad im not the only  one

I was completely surprised how the movie had its "happy" moments and was totally different to a thriller-type-movie that I expected. The acting was lovely, and I just loved "the Inbetween", even though the visual effects weren't top notch or something, it was REALLY visually pleasing. All in all, best movie I've seen in weeks.

chick de la lynch

Saw a few more movies over the past few days.

The Narrows - the only thing worth mentioning is the fact that Vincent D'Onofrio is in it. It wasn't his best performance, but I love his presence on the screen so much that I really can't say anything bad about the man.

The Cake Eaters - It was better than I anticipated, but nothing too great. Essentially it's just your typical small budget indie film about love and loss. Nothing new or interesting.

Grande École - This film felt like it wanted to be interesting, but just didn't make it. I was able to watch it from beginning to end, but when it came down to it I just didn't give a damn about the characters.

blixa

i watched the lovely bones. it was boring in general. good music though.

lostpilot

I loved Where the Wild Things Are.
of course it could have been a little different, but I still loved the "danger" suspense throughout the movie, even though at the end there was no danger at all, kinda.

blixa

i bawled my eyes out at the end. there i was, sitting in a indie 'alternative' cinema, crying. it was bittersweet.

i loved douglas. i just wanted to hug him for forever.

Jacob

hey now, careful with the spoilers.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

blixa

what am i saying? i cried throughout the whole thing. every shot was just heartbreaking. great film. i don't care about the arty-farty cred it has, it emotionally involves you so much and not many arty films do that. they're usually too concerned over how the film looks as opposed to the content.

chick de la lynch

Watched a few films over the past few days.

17 Again - Please don't ask why I watched this film. The only good thing I can say about this film is Leslie Mann. Everything else was shit, not to mention creepier than hell. What is funny about a daughter trying to bag the younger version of her father? Incest is just not right.

Mariam is going to be happy with this one: Disco Pigs. I was awfully delighted to see it as an Instant Play on my Netflix queue. It took me a while to get into the heavy Irish accent thing, but once I did I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Not to mention Cillian Murphy was just beautiful. I did think that the characters were bratty, but you felt a little bad for them. Everyone wants a close relationship like Pig and Runt's, but it just got to a point where it was debilitating. Oh and Marky looked exactly like the guy I lost my virginity too minus the Irish accent. It was scary how similar they looked.

I also so How To Be. I just watched this because I was procrastinating on doing my homework last night. It was unconventional, but not in a good way. I think it tried to be out there, and got lost along the way. I will say this again though, Robert Pattinson does have some acting talent. As of right now, he's just not picking out the right roles.

blixa

disco pigs=great ending. i can never stop saying how great this film is. i didn't have much trouble with the accents. if you get the chance watch ken loach's 'sweet sixteen.' that is a very difficult movie to understand but it's so rewarding. great film. much of the same dreariness in disco pigs.