Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chick de la lynch

I watched Croupier last night. I got the hell scared out of me when I first saw Clive Owen with bleach blonde hair. After I got over the initial shock, the film was easy to get into. I thought it was smart, smooth and sexy. I could have done without the neo noir-ish narration, but it didn't bring down the film. This film really showcased how Owen could be subtle, yet effective. For the most part, we see Clive Owen in a film where he's a brooding man or a man out for revenge. In Croupier, he was suave and debonair, which is something we don't get to see a lot in his films these days.

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - 2/10 - awful. Two points for the opening scene.

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy - 10/10

Truly excellent doc. Made we wanna re-visit the franchise.

black coffee

a couple movies lately

Invictus - I thought I was to watch a film that was about Nelson Mandela first of all, but after half an hour of watching I realized it was basically a movie about the rugby worldcup in 1995.

Layer Cake - really ashamed about not having watched this one before. Great movie, I think Daniel Craig also qualified for playing James Bond because of this movie. I could be wrong, but it would make perfect sense.

Mean Creek - An indipendent movie without a happy end.

Gran Torino - Clint Eastwood at his best! Great movie.

Baseline - Another not so big production. Movie is pretty much about a guy who works at the door of a club and works his way up ... but if there is a way up, there is... you better watch it yourself.

ben

chick de la lynch

I saw Savage Grace and The Young Victoria this weekend.

Savage Grace seemed to have a lot going for it, but ended up just falling apart. I usually like Julianne Moore, but this wasn't her best work. I kind of felt like she didn't really believe in this movie. The writing seemed to still be in the early stages--it was very scattered and had little to no focus attached to it. There was really nothing interesting in this film, and about twenty minutes into it I was ready to shut it off.

The Young Victoria proved to be much better. I like period pieces to a certain extent, and this film held its own. I thought Emily Blunt did a great job. She was smart, feisty, and very charming. The chemistry between Prince Albert and Queen Victoria was sweet and very believable. It might have ran a little longer than it should have, but otherwise it was a well-made movie.

lithium

Watched let me in tonight. Beautifully shot movie. Never seen the original, but this remake is stellar.
💩

Sushi-X

Anyone who's seen paranormal activity 2, and noticed the Kurt Cobain poster in the daughter's room, know where i can get find that picture or the poster itself?

Rocket Skates '94

chick de la lynch

Quote from: lithium on Oct 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
Watched let me in tonight. Beautifully shot movie. Never seen the original, but this remake is stellar.

I haven't seen the re-make, but I just saw the original and I strongly recommend you see it.

Let the Right One In isn't like a lot of vampire films. Apparently there are more subplots with the novel, while the movie kept it simple, which was a smart move. It really examined humanity and companionship in such an innocent and loving way. I wouldn't expect that with any vampire film, and no, Twilight does not count simply because it doesn't deal much with companionship as it delves more into a couple of 17 year old kids losing their virginity. Overall, I was impressed with the acting. To convey so much when these actors are so young is pretty damn amazing.

To be honest, I have no interest seeing the re-make. I've heard a lot of reviews saying it's pretty much the same as the original, only it takes place in the States. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original, and I think re-making the film was just a waste of time. You don't re-make great films, unless you're planning on taking it in a different direction.

blixa

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Oct 25, 2010, 04:05 AM

I haven't seen the re-make, but I just saw the original and I strongly recommend you see it.

Let the Right One In isn't like a lot of vampire films. Apparently there are more subplots with the novel, while the movie kept it simple, which was a smart move. It really examined humanity and companionship in such an innocent and loving way. I wouldn't expect that with any vampire film, and no, Twilight does not count simply because it doesn't deal much with companionship as it delves more into a couple of 17 year old kids losing their virginity. Overall, I was impressed with the acting. To convey so much when these actors are so young is pretty damn amazing.

To be honest, I have no interest seeing the re-make. I've heard a lot of reviews saying it's pretty much the same as the original, only it takes place in the States. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original, and I think re-making the film was just a waste of time. You don't re-make great films, unless you're planning on taking it in a different direction.

YES, I AGREE WHOLEHERTEADLY. PLEASE WATCH THE ORIGINAL.

heaven heaven heaven, i liked the re-make but fuck, there were so many things i was disappointed about that i knew the american re-make was going to do. it was a complete copy of the original without the main scene that really shocked and got me. i don't know if you've read the book. if you haven't, please go to the library and borrow it even though this is a book you'd want to own. it's just that intense. the main point of the whole relationship between oskar and eli is that halfway in the film you realise something else about eli that you didn't know (her gender). i love the fact that she's so gender neutral the entire time. it just made me connect to her. i know a lot of male friends connected to her because there was just somethink about her right from the beginning that gripped everyone. in the re-make, the girl was far too girly. honestly, it did feel silly watching a re-make of a film which is above and beyond any vampire movie i've seen and which is brilliant.

i watched the movie before i read the book. i'm going to read the book again and watch the movie again. it is just so fucking aesthetically beautiful as well. it never strays, ever. it's unbelievable.

blixa

also the aesthetic quality of the re-make is a carbon copy of the original. the only reason you loved the re-make is because it does all the technical things that the original did yet the original is so much more complete. i like the foreign aspect of let the right one in also. it made me feel that much closer to it because it was so far away from my world, both physically and emotionally, but i was right there the whole time.

Corleone

Haven't watched a movie since The Dark Knight, whats good? No drama pls

theis

Quote from: Corleone on Oct 31, 2010, 04:19 PM
Haven't watched a movie since The Dark Knight, whats good? No drama pls

You haven't watched a single movie in over 2 years? Crazy.

Well, new'ish great movies include;

Inception
Kick Ass
Shutter Island
Inglourious Basterds
The Wrestler
Trick 'r Treat
I Love You, Man

To name a few.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: blixa on Oct 31, 2010, 03:16 AM

heaven heaven heaven, i liked the re-make but fuck, there were so many things i was disappointed about that i knew the american re-make was going to do. it was a complete copy of the original without the main scene that really shocked and got me. i don't know if you've read the book. if you haven't, please go to the library and borrow it even though this is a book you'd want to own. it's just that intense. the main point of the whole relationship between oskar and eli is that halfway in the film you realise something else about eli that you didn't know (her gender). i love the fact that she's so gender neutral the entire time. it just made me connect to her. i know a lot of male friends connected to her because there was just somethink about her right from the beginning that gripped everyone. in the re-make, the girl was far too girly. honestly, it did feel silly watching a re-make of a film which is above and beyond any vampire movie i've seen and which is brilliant.

i watched the movie before i read the book. i'm going to read the book again and watch the movie again. it is just so fucking aesthetically beautiful as well. it never strays, ever. it's unbelievable.

You bring up a good point about Eli and her gender. I read that the book delves more into her gender (I will see if my college library has a copy of the book, because now my curiosity is piqued.) What I love about the original version is the fact that sometimes you could tell she was a girl, and other times you question if whether or not she was a girl, and the fact that they just alluded to her gender made it even more intriguing. The actress who plays Eli in the re-make isn't that androgynous, so I could see how that aspect would be lost in translation, especially since I heard it is explicitly stated in the re-make.

In the original film, the ending is what really got me. It was sweet, which is something that blindsides you when you watch that scene. That scene made me believe in love again.

blixa

bright lights, big city

DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

blixa

it's a 'queer cinema zombie film'. an older male gay friend told me about it. the storyline is completely insane and glorious.

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Oct 31, 2010, 08:51 PM
Quote from: blixa on Oct 31, 2010, 03:16 AM

You bring up a good point about Eli and her gender. I read that the book delves more into her gender (I will see if my college library has a copy of the book, because now my curiosity is piqued.) What I love about the original version is the fact that sometimes you could tell she was a girl, and other times you question if whether or not she was a girl, and the fact that they just alluded to her gender made it even more intriguing. The actress who plays Eli in the re-make isn't that androgynous, so I could see how that aspect would be lost in translation, especially since I heard it is explicitly stated in the re-make.

In the original film, the ending is what really got me. It was sweet, which is something that blindsides you when you watch that scene. That scene made me believe in love again.

i almost threw up a little when i saw 'abby'. i was a bit puzzled. there was nothing about her that said neutral gender. when i first laid eyes on eli i instantly felt it, because granted she did look like a girl, there was a big part of me that was just never sure. i got goosebumps whenever there was a scene between her and oskar. they had such a strong presence together. i think this is why it is my favourite vampire film. it had all the elements. i just love the actress that played eli in the original. after i read the book, i did feel that the original movie felt more real. let me in felt americanised, which was the point anyway, albeit a beautiful looking film all the same.

in the book the man that is with eli is a pedophile. the book is a lot more in depth about eli's history. read the book then watch the film again. it just opens the interpretation up further than you can imagine.

blixa

watched mask. i love cher! such a bad arse. sam elliott was such a babe with his mo. this movie was referenced in an x files episode i watched a few weeks ago in season five.

babe:

bright lights, big city

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movember
man i wish my mustache was as wicked as sam elliott's. and my voice as gravelly.
DERP