Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was a huge dismissive wank.

one weak

Why dismissive? Not the greatest movie ever, or even this year, but it's better than most even if only by effort.

edit: I guess I'll just keep going here as I was thinking of writing a little review anyway.

I liked GWTDT, like I said because I think that Fincher gave the literature a very good visual. Fincher did a great job with the rape scenes, and if you watch carefully he adds his stylistic se7en-esque doomy camera work and look to these scenes. The cons to this movie present themselves mostly within the editing and pacing of the meat of the story.  The parallel editing back and forth, and back and forth between Lisbeth story and Harriet mystery (before lisbeth takes the case, and towards the end) is boring at times. I guess I can forgive this because I understand that staying true to the bulk of this mystery was going to mean a lot of seemingly useless setup dialogue etc. that works a hell of a lot better in literature than visuals in a film. And, the things that were omitted from the story (ie: michael's romance with the other vanger woman) I thought were best left out with everything else going on. Lastly, my small issues with Daniel Craig's blomqvist were more than made up for with Mara's performance. Be neat if she won an Oscar for this role....what a transformation.

just my take....

chick de la lynch

I have been hearing reviews that it's great and reviews that it missed the mark. I've been wary about checking it out in theaters. I think I'm going to wait until Netflix. I don't want to waste my money if it ends up being a disappointment. I'm reading the books right now and I've seen the original. That should keep me occupied until it's on DVD.

defskull

Just wait for Netflix. I haven't read the book but I saw the Swedish original coming in. To me, the story is an average murder mystery that happens to have anti-social character that gets raped/takes revenge. It's not that great to begin with. David Fincher pretty much remade the original shot for shot (more or less). There were some differences but they weren't significant enough to warrant much interest. I thought he was going to infuse some energy into it like the trailer and opening title sequence suggested.

It was not a bad movie...per say, it was just there. I knew everything that was going to happen, it just happened to look a little bit nicer. Therefore, dismissive wank.

blixa

watched happiness. it made me feel better about my life.

chick de la lynch

Todd Solondz does a great job of depressing the crap out of you. Happiness is one of my favorites by him.

blixa

BillyNo.9

127 hours. Amazing film. The part where he's cutting through his nerves made me feel sick.

theis

Lately:

Pontypool (2008)
- Interesting and different take on the infection/zombie genre. I just felt that it didn't quite live up to its potential. 7/10.

Slither (2006)
- A hilarious, gory and twisted homage to the 80's invasion/horror comedies. 8/10.

The Woman (2011)
- I hated this piece of shit. Pointless garbage. 1/10.

The Warriors (1979)
- "CAN YOU DIG IT!?". Fuck, I love this movie. 9/10.

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

one weak

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Jan 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
127 hours. Amazing film. The part where he's cutting through his nerves made me feel sick.
^5 to me -- I saw aron while i was on my way to work today.

BillyNo.9

Visitant

SUPER -  Amazing shit.  Underrated.

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - One of the most violent movies I've ever seen.  Brutal.  Also really funny.

SLEEPING BEAUTY (2011) - I liked it.  Although I might be biased with a soft spot for Emily Browning.  Not sure about the ending.  If anyone saw it, feel free to explain.

HESHER - Really good.  Not at all what expected.

THE WILD AND WONDERFUL WHITES OF WEST VIRGINIA - Fucking hilarious and amazing.  I think everyone should see it at least once.

THE OREGONIAN - Probably one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen.  Think David Lynch but grittier.

UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US - Watched a few Black Metal Docs and in my opinion, this is the best.

"I really can't help it.  It's either this or prison."

blixa

watched a somewhat gentle man. thought it was hilarious and poignant.

four lions. brilliant!

theis

Quote from: Visitant on Jan 25, 2012, 02:11 AM
SUPER -  Amazing shit.  Underrated.

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN - One of the most violent movies I've ever seen.  Brutal.  Also really funny.

HESHER - Really good.  Not at all what expected.

*High five*

Love those movies.

theis

Just watched Kill List.

Holy shit, this is one unsettling little flick. The ending will be stuck in your head for a while, that's for sure.

As bleak as it gets.

blixa

watched anything for her. it was very awesome. this is the first movie i've seen diane kruger in. she's talented.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

The Grey 8/10

I was not expecting that final scene

Safe House 8/10

I hope Reynolds focus on Deadpool movie NOW!

Underworld Awakening 7/10

Meh but I would watch anything with Kate Beckinsale *big drool