Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

law

The Broker by John grisham. Good book.

And as always, Preacher... best comic ever.

Mad Maynard

I just finished "Red Dragon", "The Silence of the Lambs", and "Hannibal". All three were pretty good. "Red Dragon" is almost word for word the same as the Brett Ratner movie, except the ending is different. "The Silence of the Lambs" is just like the movie as well but there are several scenes and details in the book that were either changed or left out of the movie. The movie "Hannibal" stays pretty true to the book but it leaves some people out and the ending is totally different.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose;but, you can't pick your nose in front of your friends.

BigDave

Quote from: vida_mae on Jul 26, 2006, 01:45 AM
you guys whats the big deal with irvine... ?? tell me what im missing.

he writes very bleak books about working class life in scotland (mainly in leith) and at the same time make's it hilarious.  he's a genious.

i'm reading slaughterhouse 5 atm.

tarkil

I just finished American psycho from Bret Easton Ellis, it's pretty awesome !! I really loved reading it, loved the style, the cruelty, the cynism, the darkness, everything !

So now, I just began "Less than Zero" from the same author !! 8)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

BigDave

^^^american psycho is amazing.  i have lunar park to read soon.

slaughterhouse 5 was amazing.

atm i'm reading the wind-up bird chronicle by haruki murakami.

tarkil

Talking about Murakami stuff :

1) How good are Haruki Murakami's books ? Because I love japanese books, and heard about that Haruki guy, but never bought some of his books...

2) Do any of you have ever read a book from Ryû Murakami ? It's pretty awesome IMO. You can check a wikipedia page on him there, and my advice for a first book to read if you feel like checking him would be Almost Transparent Blue (限りなく透明に近いブルー). It was written in 1976, and it's really a good book to understand these times if you're interested in them. Plus, the ending really makes you think and I love that...

Teddy.

is there a book on how to dance like this?

Mazzy

Quote from: tarkil on Aug 07, 2006, 07:24 PM

1) How good are Haruki Murakami's books ? Because I love japanese books, and heard about that Haruki guy, but never bought some of his books...

2) Do any of you have ever read a book from Ryû Murakami ? It's pretty awesome IMO. You can check a wikipedia page on him there, and my advice for a first book to read if you feel like checking him would be Almost Transparent Blue (限りなく透明に近いブルー). It was written in 1976, and it's really a good book to understand these times if you're interested in them. Plus, the ending really makes you think and I love that...

i love him. i've never gotten into japanese writers before but he's pretty awesome. i love how the characters are so familiar to me but it never gets boring. see, i'm so shit at describing it.

i'm reading The First Stone: Some Questions about Sex and Power by Helen Garner. Helen Garner gives feminists a good name. her views echo everything i'd ever hoped feminism could be. these questions of sex and power are ones that should be considered by every young woman. summed up brilliantly by Zoe Heller's opening quote:

"The struggle for women's rights is...not a matter of gender loyalty. It is a matter of ethical principle, and as such, it does not dictate automatic allegiance to the women's side in any given argument."

ChickdelaLynch

I just got finished reading Quentin Tarantino: The Man and His Movies, which was really good despite the fact I know a lot about him. I still managed to find out some more information though and it gave me more motivation to just go out and make a film.

yoda on mars

I don't know why I love SF so much. Does anyone read DUNE series. Amazing stuff. I'be read it like 5 time already.

BigDave

Quote from: tarkil on Aug 07, 2006, 07:24 PM

he's and incredible writer.  his writing stlye is just perfect.  he makes making a sandwich sound like the most beautiful thing in the world.
some of his books are quite surreal, bu the one i suggest you start with - Norwegian Wood - is relatively 'normal' by his standards, but has it's wierd moments.

Frankz0r

I finished Paulo Coelho's Eleven Minutes today... It was cool  :'(
Now Im gonna buy Veronika Decides to Die  :)

rxqueen

Quote from: BigDave on Aug 13, 2006, 07:02 PM
he makes making a sandwich sound like the most beautiful thing in the world.

I love when a writer has this talent. Hermann Hesse!!!!!  :D

Does anyone know a really good book about planets. Like a sum up? I want one for Dan.

BigDave

i've nearly finished crash by j.g. ballard.  very strange.

tarkil

I finished the first 3 books of a serie by John Gregory Betancourt which is a prequel to Roger Zelany's 9 princes of Amber cycle called "Dawn of Amber".

It's awesome !!!!!!!!! I really loved Zelazny's cycle, and Betancourt has managed to render Zelazny's books style... And it's awesome.

I just saw that he wrote a 4th one, but it's not translated in french for the moment... I think I'm gonna buy it from amazon.com in english pretty soon... :)

I also began Palanhiuk's Lullaby... Not fond of it for the moment, but it's still just the begininng...

Mazzy

when i finish tolstoy's book, i'm going to start on margaret atwood. i've never read her before. i've just read one poem because it was part of our english text in high school. i'm looking forward to it.

fireflyry

I just finished House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski and it is hands down one of the most original and amazing books I have ever read.

Awesome and theres nothing else like it.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

tarkil

Quote from: Mazzy on Aug 24, 2006, 01:34 PM
when i finish tolstoy's book, i'm going to start on margaret atwood. i've never read her before. i've just read one poem because it was part of our english text in high school. i'm looking forward to it.

Which Tolstoy book was it ?

Quote from: fireflyry on Aug 24, 2006, 01:52 PM
I just finished House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski and it is hands down one of the most original and amazing books I have ever read.

Awesome and theres nothing else like it.

What's it about ?

Yeah I know I could use google, but I'd rather have your opinion than a John Doe's one...

fireflyry

It's a combination of two narratives one being of a family just moving into a house and the other of diary entrys which slowly intertwines with the first narrative although it's hard to explain with out giving it away, but the house is really strange in that it changes shape, measures and has larger dimensions on the inside than the outside, etc but the thing that really makes this book original is that the text is layed out to pace/change the way you normally read a book at all.

For example some pages only have one word so the sentence is therefore slowed, some pages the text is scattered and rotated so it takes time to actually make out whats happening while in others the text takes on the very shape of the narrative as in a man is
f
a
l
l
i
n
g or is walking s l o  w   e   r  a    n     d      s       l        o         w        e           r  and the text actually flows with the direct actions occuring in the narrative.

I've never read or seen a book like it, quite amazing.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

tarkil

Seems awesome... I'm gonna look for it... Thanks for the tip mah man... ;)