Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azwethinkweiz

so i bought Fyodor Dostoevsky's 'The Idiot' today.

have anyone read this?

i can't wait. heard lot's of great things about it.

Jerry_Curls

Thanks for the recommendations mangs. I bought Norwegian Wood. I'll buy Choke next.

And Mazzy, I would love for that mailage to happen. I never get mail and it would make me so happy.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

lithium royalty

every bret easton ellis fan should read lunar park.

i read it about an year ago, and it's fuckin creepy.

they should make it into a movie.

and chuck's best book imo is survivor with lullabye as a close second.

Jerry_Curls

I've read many different "chucks best book is.." so which one is it? How about a better quetion...which one is a good on for a Chuck starter to read at first? I don't want to read Figth Club because I already saw the movie and I'll read that another time but which one should I read to start off with? I was thinking of reading Choke. Bad decision?
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

lithium royalty

no, choke is awesome.

don't start off with diary, as it tends to lag.. or haunted coz it sorta gets complicated with all the characters..

start off with choke, you'll love it.

rainnyx4

Chuck Palahniuk is good but highly overrated.  He's such an Art-slut/Art-fag circle jerk author.

http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3606

This somethingawful article is a fairly good synopsis of Palahniuk's writing method.

Azwethinkweiz

yes, lunar park is awesome and fucking creepy.

'choke' is also a great read.

lithium royalty

your moms overrated.

rainnyx4

lithium royalty

your adoptive mothers overrated.

Mazzy

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 03, 2006, 01:38 AM
Chuck Palahniuk is good but highly overrated.  He's such an Art-slut/Art-fag circle jerk author.

http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3606

This somethingawful article is a fairly good synopsis of Palahniuk's writing method.

nooooo. i so don't agree with this. i disagree so much that i'm forced to give my argument as to why.

chuck writes women, although troubled, very well. he's one of the few male writers that i feel can write women. after i read Choke, which was my first book, i automatically knew or felt that he was gay. lullaby and choke have great women that could so easily be written as weak or less than. they have great diginty. his women is what draws me to him.

and i'm not being stereotypical (or at least very general), in saying that gay men write women very well. stereotypical would be to say because he's gay he is more feminine or what have you. which i totally disagree with.

homosexuality requires a different take on what is masculine and feminine then mainstream society. IT allows a more fluid idea of gender and sexuality. i find his women to have the malleability that i don't know if a straight writer would have. i'm not saying that because he's gay he's better to women. i'm saying because he's fair to women i knew he was gay.

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Sep 02, 2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the recommendations mangs. I bought Norwegian Wood. I'll buy Choke next.

And Mazzy, I would love for that mailage to happen. I never get mail and it would make me so happy.

pm me your address and i will send you some goods. i have to mail people a lot of crap this month because after this month i will have absolutely no time for anything. i'll make you a brian flag out of my underwear material. it could possibly become a symbol for the brotherhood, eh.

BigDave

i think chuck palahniuk is over rated because he can be very repetative.  i read his book's in order, and by diary i was rolling my eyes.  regardless, i do think he is very talented, and haunted seems like a different direction for him, even if some of his writing traits are still present.  (plus sometime's he wishes he was douglas coupland).

Azwethinkweiz

i'm going to ask again. have anyone read Fyodor Dostoevsky's 'The Idiot'?

Jerry_Curls

^ I have no idea mang

Just bought Choke. I will start tonight. ^_^
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Mazzy

Quote from: BigDave on Sep 03, 2006, 09:40 PM
i think chuck palahniuk is over rated because he can be very repetative.  i read his book's in order, and by diary i was rolling my eyes.  regardless, i do think he is very talented, and haunted seems like a different direction for him, even if some of his writing traits are still present.  (plus sometime's he wishes he was douglas coupland).

most writers tend to be repetitive. i just think the way he can express women's emotions is so spot on. it's like he becomes a woman completely. i admire that about him. i didn't think a man could hit the right spot that well.

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Sep 03, 2006, 09:43 PM

yes. it's good. i prefer his other books but this book is totally hyped up and rightly so. i have too big of a headache to explain any further.

tarkil

Quote from: Mazzy on Sep 04, 2006, 05:17 AM
i didn't think a man could hit the right spot that well.

You mean the G one right ?

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Mazzy

i just finished reading the Handmaid's Tale.

HOW THE FUCK CAN SHE END IT LIKE THAT!!

what happens to Offred? is she smuggled out or captured?

omg, Margaret Atwood!! you suck for doing that to me.

brep

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Sep 03, 2006, 09:43 PM

i havent read that one, but i finished crime and punishment not too long ago. it was ok.

blue_silver

I am in the middle of a book I highly recommend right now called "The Observations of the Beautiful and the Sublime" by Immanual Kant...

it is a really good book, it has helped me understand why I am attrached to some things that are so dark and kinda terrifying (the sublime) while other people are more attrached to a more general sense of beauty... I recommend it, pick it up, expand your consciousness... 
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you...

ee cummings

Kurisuta

Azwethinkweiz The Idiot is one of my favourite novels. I love Dostoyevsky's writing. His characters are always very complex, but I can still get the sense that they are real people, I can relate to them.

As for Chuck Palahnuik, I don't like his style at all. Something about it just annoys me, I can never really put my finger on it exactly though. I think he is highly overrated, although I do agree he writes women better than many male authors.