Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

I keep hearing good things about the Miso Soup book and I've only passed it a hundred times with an itch to buy it.  Looks like I'm picking it up now!

Drakesmoke1

I read a Dave Eggers book once, although I can't for the life of me remember what it was! Did he write that one called 'A Staggering Work of Heartbreaking Genius' by any chance?
'That island, on the beach. We could take this boat...'

tension_the_wire

I've just started reading the Thomas Covenant series.
i've just finished the first book: Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book 1) and now I can't find any more apart from the White Gold Welder (which is one of the last books).

Im also trying to get my hands on the Coheed and Cambria comics...but new Zealand isn't known for our reading skills so i can't find it :(

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: Drakesmoke1 on Nov 08, 2006, 03:17 PM
I read a Dave Eggers book once, although I can't for the life of me remember what it was! Did he write that one called 'A Staggering Work of Heartbreaking Genius' by any chance?

That was him. And I LOVE that one.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Drakesmoke1

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Nov 09, 2006, 06:00 AM
Quote from: Drakesmoke1 on Nov 08, 2006, 03:17 PM

That was him. And I LOVE that one.

Yeah it was quite good wasn't it. Maybe a bit too postmodern, although I guess that it served to break up the grinding horror/tragedy of it all. What's this other one about?
'That island, on the beach. We could take this boat...'

Sleep

LMAO. I loved A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius...Eggers is great.

He also writes "What is the What," "How we are Hungry," "We Shall Know Our Velocity..." 

"What is the What" was very compelling.

Oh, and Tension...you can easy get the Coheed comics through a torrent file. I have them in electronic copy (for now), so pm me if you need help, they're worth having.

tarkil

Now reading volume 3 of Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb... Not the most original books ever, but it's really getting interesting to read. I finished 1 whole volume yesterday, and I'm getting thirsty to know what's gonna happen next... :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Jerry_Curls

Just bought:

Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

CitizenSoul

Last night I wrote a reading list, I'm already in the middle of "Everyman." Give me some opinions on these pieces if you've read them.

1. Everyman. Philip Roth
2. As I Lay Dying. William Faulker
3. Love. Tony Morrison
4. Blood Meridian. Carmac McCarthy
5. Needful Things. Stephen King
6. Invisible Monsters. Chuck Palahniuk
7. Go Tell it to the Mountain
8. Great Expectations. Charles Dickens
9. Welcome to the Monkey House. Kurt Vonnegut
10. Gravity's Rainbow. Thomas Pynchon

tarkil

P.K. Dick - Galactic pot healer...

Pretty atypic/weird book from Dick, but I really like it for the moment...

rxqueen

I just bought the biography of Kofi Annan, can't wait.

Mazzy

Quote from: one weak on Nov 07, 2006, 06:03 AM
in the past 2 months i've read and recomend becuase i loved all of them:

the unbearable lightness of being- Milan Kundera
as i lay dying- William Faulkner (i'm officially obsessed with Faulkner)
the bluest eye- Toni Morrison
Franny and Zooey- J.D. Salinger

the unbearable lightness of being is fucking...indescribable. i haven't met a person who wasn't touched by that book. thomas and tereza are the perfect definition of soulmates.

i think it was in chapter nine [i can't remember, i gave my copy to cross] where the issue of animals is mentioned and i think it was with franz looking into the horses eyes and he starts to cry and apologise. i bawled my eyes out during that. so fucking hit the nail right into the core.

this is what i have been reading this month:

i've finished the kite runner and neverwhere. i started cat's eye last night.

why?

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Nov 08, 2006, 07:10 AM
Just bought How We Are Hungry by Dave Eggers. Can't wait.

In The Miso Soup is really good and gory.

ehh, didn't really like In The Miso Soup. i bought it because the dude (ryu murakami) has the last name as haruki murakami, my favorite author. i'm not really into reading about that kinda stuff, i save that for my movies.

also, i just got "the castle" by franz kafka, "the captin and the enemy" by grahme green, "the physiognomy" by jefferey ford and "the joke's over" by ralph steadman, the artist who did work for hunter s. thompson (fear and loathing). should be good.
do. make. say. think.

tarkil

Quote from: Mazzy on Nov 30, 2006, 05:06 AM
this is what i have been reading this month:

i've finished the kite runner and neverwhere. i started cat's eye last night.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is great... Actually, lots of books from Neil Gaiman are great...

Sleep

Anything by Faulkner is worth reading...

Right now I'm reading a non-fiction called "A Language Older than Words" By Derrick Jensen.. It's amazing. He juxtaposes his abuse as a child with the way we are abusing mother nature...

Layla

Hes just not in the stars, by jenni kosarin. Its really funny and oddly acurate...niccolo machiavelli, hitler, karl marx, oliver cromwel, michael morre, muhammad, pope john paul II all have ther sun and venus in taurus...

Jerry_Curls

I just finished reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle...boy did that take me a while. I liked it a lot. I would love to see one of Haruki Murakami's novels turned into a movie.

Books I have waiting for me to read:

-Ham On Rye by Charles Bukowski
-The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
-Dress Your Family In Corduroy And Denim by David Sedaris
-The Fall by Albert Camus
-Survivor by Chuck Palahnuik
-Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami
-Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

So I need your help; which one should I read? I'm thinking of reading a funny book after having read The Wind Up Bird, which is depressing, so yeah, help me pick one.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

raynor

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Nov 27, 2006, 09:59 AM
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
I wanna read that one as well.

neurotic

currently reading Discworld series of books by Terry Pratchett.. me likes! :D
...never trust the obvious...

stu

Quote from: raynor on Jan 11, 2007, 03:18 PM