Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarkil

No, I usually don't like very much when writers reuse a world created by another one to make a book about it.

I read quite a lot of Lovecraft's stuff too, but that was quite some time ago, and I really have no idea how many I read... :-\

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

oldgentlovecraft

I've heard many people say that about taking others ideas, and I agree most of the time.  With Lovecraft, he actually encouraged other authors to join in the Mythos.  Some of the material he used before he died contained ideas from other authors that contributed.  Hell, he helped "ghostwrite" short stories for amateurs and ended up changing them to conform to his fictional world.  He was one of a kind.

tarkil

Yeah, he was a fucking original... I used to read a lot of his books before, but that was years ago, and I'm not into him that much anymore... I remember these were awesome books to read though... Fucking crazy ones...

Another crazy writer (not the same craziness though) is Philip K. Dick. I dunno if you read stuff from him... I think he may be my favourite writer. Damn, he's completely insane...

oldgentlovecraft

That's strange that you mention that because I've been meaning to look into him.  A lot of scholars compare him to Lovecraft (in theory not style or subject) and I've heard he's pretty good.  Any suggestions? 

tarkil

Well, pretty hard to tell as I read nearly all of his books (and it's quite a few... :)).

I'd say Ubik. But there's so many to really advice you one. But Ubik or "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheeps ?" may be good to start.

He's really a gorgeous writer.

"Cool" thing is that the day of his death is the day of my birth... And he's one of my fav writers... Talk about coincidences... :)

oldgentlovecraft

That's life.  Is the electric sheep one, isn't that what Blade Runner's based on?  Or am I way off base.  I'm the horror fan but I don't normally get into scifi/fantasy very often.  From what I've heard about him though he transcends categorizing.

tarkil

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Nov 02, 2006, 11:40 PM
That's life.  Is the electric sheep one, isn't that what Blade Runner's based on?  Or am I way off base.  I'm the horror fan but I don't normally get into scifi/fantasy very often.  From what I've heard about him though he transcends categorizing.

It's indeed Blade Runner. P.K. Dick is more a scifi writer obviously, but saying he transcends categorizing is quite accurate actually. It will still look like scifi though.

You should give it a try. At worse, you'll only lose few bucks, and few hours in your life... ;)

brep

im about to start animal farm. it seems interesting

neurotic

Quote from: brep on Nov 03, 2006, 06:25 AM
im about to start animal farm. it seems interesting

it is. very metaphorical..
...never trust the obvious...

Drakesmoke1

Just finished 'Northern Lights' by Philip Pullman...the most adult friendly kid's book I ever read, absolutely engrossing!
'That island, on the beach. We could take this boat...'

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: Mazzy on Oct 27, 2006, 04:55 AM
i am half-way through Murakami's blind willow, sleeping woman.

it's beautiful. birthday girl, man-eating cats and a 'poor aunt' story all stick in my mind right now. if you ever want to be a writer, don't bother hahaha you will never be as good as this. this is how amazing this man is.

Haha weird. Just last night I was in Barnes & Noble and I picked up this book to see which Murakami novel I should read.

I'm in the middle of In The Miso Soup right now. Suspenseful.

Next, The Wind-UP Bird Chronicle. Excited.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Juicy Fruit

Someone recommend me a good novel. I need to break free of my Harry Potter chains and actually start reading books intended for the adult age bracket. I shall force myself!

Someone told me to read The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I got it out from the library but never read it (typical me). Has anyone here read it, and if so, is it any good?

Thanks!
Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 07:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

Jerry_Curls

I really liked Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 07:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

BigDave

love, sex, tragedy, beauty, university.

Sleep

Quote from: hellview on Oct 16, 2006, 02:47 AM
everyone go read Lust For Life.

is this about van gogh?

one weak

in the past 2 months i've read and recomend becuase i loved all of them:

the unbearable lightness of being- Milan Kundera
as i lay dying- William Faulkner (i'm officially obsessed with Faulkner)
the bluest eye- Toni Morrison
Franny and Zooey- J.D. Salinger

Sleep

Quote from: one weak on Nov 07, 2006, 04:03 AM
in the past 2 months i've read and recomend becuase i loved all of them:

as i lay dying- William Faulkner (i'm officially obsessed with Faulkner)

Likewise. Some of his short stories are just fucking eerie for instance: "A Rose for Emily"

He captures the human psyche on levels that no (American) author has done before his time.

oldgentlovecraft

What about Richard Matheson?  I am Legend?  Some classic horror like Blackwood, Derleth, Lovecraft, Poe, Bierce?

Jerry_Curls

Just bought How We Are Hungry by Dave Eggers. Can't wait.

In The Miso Soup is really good and gory.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.