Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Alice In Chains

Started by Mascara Snake, Mar 13, 2006, 01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

I never really got into them, but they were always one of those bands that when I heard their music I cranked it up nice and loud and sang along.  They just do that to you.

Jacob

watched the dvd at a party last week. I'm so glad most of my friends like them. they're awesome to sit and sing along to when you're drunk.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Drakesmoke1

'Can I be as my Goddam...'

Jerry Cantrell = Guitar God.

Metallica called them the 'American Black Sabbath'.

You will not get better vocal harmonies in a rock band than Cantrell/Staley.

'AIC' is grossly underated, it was the first AIC I got though so maybe there's an element of sentimentality there...

Don't know what to think about the new vocalist, I guess I should reserve judgement until I've seen/heard them. Just hope they don't turn Karoake in Chains.

Anyone else ever think that AIC/Soundgarden should have been where Nirvana/Pearl Jam were? I know that these were by no means small-time bands, but I just honestly get more out of them than the other two grunge behemoths.
'That island, on the beach. We could take this boat...'

Mascara Snake

I think they never really got as big as nirvana and pearl jam because both aic and sg, didnt tour as much as the other 2, sg hated touring and you call tell by there live shows, and aic after the dirt tour never really toured again, plus there songs maybe werent as radio friendly as some of nirvana's and pearl jams!!

Its the same with screaming trees, they never got the praise which they deserved!!

but this just makes me like these bands even more!!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

SaladTripp

Quote from: Drakesmoke1 on Nov 20, 2006, 06:35 PM
Just hope they don't turn Karoake in Chains.

lol i was thinking the exact same thing...
"Live as if you were going to die tomorrow... learn as if you were going to live forever." - Ghandi

Drakesmoke1

Quote from: Mascara Snake on Nov 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
I think they never really got as big as nirvana and pearl jam because both aic and sg, didnt tour as much as the other 2, sg hated touring and you call tell by there live shows, and aic after the dirt tour never really toured again, plus there songs maybe werent as radio friendly as some of nirvana's and pearl jams!!

Its the same with screaming trees, they never got the praise which they deserved!!

but this just makes me like these bands even more!!

I think I really need to investigate Screaming Trees. I was loving Mark Lanagan's voice on 'Hanging Tree' when I was spinning QOTSA the other day. Where to start Snake? Is there a good 'best of'? Or an essential classic? How would you describe them?

Mascara Snake

Heres 'Sweet Oblivion'

http://download.yousendit.com/93A848C60E7178A1

Start with it then get 'Dust', and work you way back to their Sub Pop Stuff!!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

Drakesmoke1

Quote from: Mascara Snake on Nov 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
Heres 'Sweet Oblivion'

Many thanks my friend, I can't download it now 'cause I'm at work. I hope it's still there when I get home...

Drakesmoke1

Quote from: Drakesmoke1 on Nov 21, 2006, 12:42 PM
Quote from: Mascara Snake on Nov 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
Heres 'Sweet Oblivion'

Many thanks my friend, I can't download it now 'cause I'm at work. I hope it's still there when I get home...

Ok, Just got it. I've only had time to spin the first track but it sounds awesome and right up my street. Thanks man! If there's anything I can do in return, just ask.

Mascara Snake

No Problem man!!  Saw Lanegan on Sunday night with the Twilight Singers, he looked healthy for a change and fuckin rocked!! Met the band after and got my setlist signed but mark was on the bus and didnt want to be bothered, so the guitarist went on and got him to sign it for me!! Cool Guys!!

Deftones-argentina

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/alice_in_chains_begin_working_on_new_album.html

THey keep on working on the album. But no word about the band not being called Alice in chains...weird.

indychinoluv

Yeah, bro I was the same about the name change. Im sorta middle of the road on my thoughts.

But you can't deny a classic band.

Nutshell is still the most depressing sone released

theis

ben

the new song is really really really good.  The new singer is good, but you can tell Jerry Cantrell has no problem doing what he did in every other AIC album with vocals too.

indychinoluv

fuck, today is the happiest day of my life.

Just got Faith No More Download reunion set and now this.

Jacob

I like the new song, it's great. but it's not AIC to me and it will never be. it sounds more like Jerry's solo stuff.

AIC is dead. it's gone. they should let it rest in peace and just start a new project.

ben

I know what you mean, but all in all it's just a name.  If they want to call themselves AIC and save the trouble, let them.  They deserve it.  Either way, the new stuff will be just as good or exceed Degradation Trip, one of the truly criminally underrated albums out there.

the deft ones

Quote from: ben on Jul 02, 2009, 02:20 PM
I know what you mean, but all in all it's just a name.  If they want to call themselves AIC and save the trouble, let them.  They deserve it.  Either way, the new stuff will be just as good or exceed Degradation Trip, one of the truly criminally underrated albums out there.

Couldn't agree more about Degredation Trip. Killer album, would be befitting as a follow up to AiC S/T. Those people who say Boggy Depot is better are kidding themselves.

Anyway, new song sounds cool to me. Looking forward to hearing the full release.

indychinoluv

New album is out on the 29th of Sept.

Tracklisting is:
All Secrets Known
Check My Brain
Last of My Kind
Your Decision
A Looking in View
When the Sun Rose Again
Acid Bubble
Lessons Learned
Take Her Out
Private Hell
Black Gives Way to Blue

Supposedly Elton John is playing Piano on Black Gives Way to Blue

Jacob

some of those names give me bad vibes. oh well. looking forward to listening anyways.