Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Nine Inch Nails Thread

Started by devilinside, Jan 13, 2007, 03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoenix

After 10 listens maybe you'll find something interesting in the songs. But I was kinda disappointed at first too. But now the album is making more sense. I'm getting used to the songs.

Maybe the fact that I'm a new fan (it's only been 3 years), I find it easier to listen to it? I never had to wait 5 years for a new album yet with huge anticipation.

The Good Soldier and The Great Destroyer are my favorite songs.
Listen to my music at

kisseveryscar

see thats the thing
i hate gettin use to albums
i dont like it when it needs to grow on me
i remember when I use to listen to new NIN songs for the first time and i would simply be amazed
but yeah huge disappointment :(

Moz La Punk

I never was amazed with a NiN record for the first few listens. It always took me a couple more.

This album comes in between With Teeth (alright) and Downward Spiral/Fragile for me. Good stuff, nothing more, nothing less.

emehlen

Quote from: kisseveryscar on Apr 05, 2007, 03:53 AM
well once again im disapointed
this album is alright
it has a few good songs
nothing amazing
I wasnt expecting another Fragile or anything.we all know thats not gonna happen
but man what is wrong with Trent.some of these new songs are so weak
its alot better than the last album.thast for sure

for all you dudes that think this album is amazing.pls explain how its amazing
ive been huge NIN fan for many years now
and listened to every single album  and im sure you have too
so let me know.what makes this new cd so good?

You want to know why it's so good

Reason #1- the new music today is so uninspiring and sounds all the same, there isnt one new band that impresses me in the least, they all have no original sound. So a new NIN album is a fucking saviour for me. Yeah its not as good as the Fragile/ downward spiral blah blah fucking blah, I never expected that.

Reason #2- It was like 6 years until NIN came out with another album since Fragile, With Teeth which I absolutely love, I still cant understand why music snobs talk trash on it... its a great record, except for the track With Teeth... so in that sense, yeah u could say With Teeth(the song) sucked, but the album was good.  Now we have this album Year Zero, I just glad to hear new stuff from one of my favorite bands.

Reason #3- There are several good songs on this album: Survivalism, Beginning of the End, The Vessel, The Good Soldier, The Warning, Me I'm Not, Capitol G, The Greater Good, and In This Twilight(favorite song). Nonbelievers need to listen again and stop skipping thru tracks until u find a song thats better than their previous hits, cuz it wont happen.

Reason #4- Its a matter of opinion, what sounds good to you may not sound good to me and vice versa. If you dont like the album, its your loss.

I'll admit that there are some negative things about the album, but thats not what I like to focus on, I like to focus on the sounds and moods of the album that I DO like

The record ISNT "amazing" but its fucking good and thats that

devilinside

It will never be The Fragile.

When I listen I will give my expert review.

DCFranchise

The melodies on this album are amazing.

DakkoN

I like this album and I'm not even a big fan of NIN.  The ending to The Great Destroyer (especially the part at 2:24) sounds wicked.

Subliminal

I fuckin' love it, I think people are always dissapointed because they're always looking for the next part of a favourite album.

Since when does it ever happen?

maestro416

very very good, i dont really get why people are hating on it.  two each their own i guess.  been listening to nin since 94ish and this sounds like something that could have easily come right around the time of further down the spiral.  very noisy and abrasive which honestly i was looking for from with teeth, which i like for completely different reasons now, but it's still nice to hear that trents got it in him.  good soldier into vessel is def my fav 2 at this point.  should be interesting to see what happens with the second part of this and i don't see how anyone can complain about getting 2 very different sounding nin albulms with in 2 years of each other. 

Subliminal

I find it funny though..

We're In This Together sounds like it could be put on With Teeth though, so it's not like he wasn't near the With Teeth stage back then.

HYPERPOWER! sounds like it could be on The Downward Spiral.

Then Zero Sum could fit on The Fragile.

Everything has a mix of everything he's done, Unlike With Teeth which was a pretty much straight forward band album.

I'll always kiss Trents ass because as a musician myself i can totally feel where he comes from in his music and i just think it's genious, no matter what he does.

WretchedRock

Deftones-88-05-Deftones

Zero zum is such a great ending song. My top songs are Capital G, Vessel, The Great Destroyer and Zero Zum. I dont know why the ppl bitch so much about it, we all know that is never going to be a The Fragile 2 or TDS 2.
The CD is great and that is it.
" You are just Disconnected, Apathetic It must be so pathetic to be this frantic You are just Like methadone for an addict  "   Mark Hunter

" Im gonna see you bleeding Face down in the dirt Im gonna give you back what Youve taken with hurt You coward Im going to spit right in your face" Rob Flynn

kisseveryscar

well i gave it another try and still not feeling it
and Survivalism is probably the worst most annoying song trent has ever written .he was probably high on cocaine writing this song.its terrible

anyway.dont know why i felt like sharing that

cd will eventually grown on me if i keep listening to it
obviously
but im still disapointed and this is my opinion
if some of you guys loved it .than thats awesome
we cant all think alike right

Jerry_Curls

This bass line on The Good Soldier is so chill.

I'm still not tired os Survivalism. I seriously want to hear a good dance remix of this song.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Deftones-88-05-Deftones

Does anyone knew about this?

The digipak version of Year Zero features a thermo-chrome heat-sensitive CD face. Appearing mostly black (sans the title), when heated the disc turns mostly white, hiding the title and revealing lines, blocks, the copyright notice and a series of zeroes and ones. Assembled together, the sequence is: 0110010101111000011101000110010101110010011011010110100101101110011000010110110000101 110011011100110010101110100. The zeroes and ones appear to be a binary sequence, which translates to be "exterminal.net�", a website which is up, but will not be in operation until the US release of the album.

" You are just Disconnected, Apathetic It must be so pathetic to be this frantic You are just Like methadone for an addict  "   Mark Hunter

" Im gonna see you bleeding Face down in the dirt Im gonna give you back what Youve taken with hurt You coward Im going to spit right in your face" Rob Flynn

devilinside

Quote from: devilinside on Apr 17, 2007, 07:38 PM
Ok Ok I  got it!! I put it in,and it was black,and when I got out of the car it was white?!?!? I thought I was going crazy,but as soon as it cooled back down it went black again. Silly bitch Trent playing mind games with me.

I'm gonna have to listen to a few more times to get my full take on it,I've only listenend to it once,but so far :

Hyperpower is good
The Beginning of the end is too "pop"
Survivalism I like alot
The Good Soldier i need to listen to again,sounds like it could be good with time
Vessel I reeeeally like
Me,I'm not is my favorite
Capital G....meh
My Violent Heart is another favorite
The Warning has potential
God Given i need to listen to again cause it didn't catch me
Meet your Master eeh
The Greater Good I see it possibly being up there with Me,I'm not
The Great Destroyer again,need to listen a few more times
Another version of the Truth...it's like the La Mer of the album. I love it...it's beautiful.
In this twilight is ok...sounds like hero music or something..like Trent saved the world and I can see him walking out of a cloud of smoke or something.
Zero Sum I like

Again,get back with me in a week or two and my observation could be completely different.

But the album from what i've heard is ok. I know I shouldn't compare album's,but it's hard not to. The Fragile it's not,but I didn't expect it to be. But I do like it better that Awitha_Teetha.

devilinside

Well I didn't erase my browser history,so lets see if they get me and take me to Guam. And the inmate exhibit a link is Capital G....

Chrisbo

Ok, so my opinion of this album. Well I think it is a good album with great moments at the moment, but as with other NIN albums it feels like it's a grower. I mean at first I was quite surprised with how downbeat the album is in comparison to Trents previous efforts. But then I remember, the majority of my favourite NIN songs are quite downbeat anyway heh! Also the fact that I keep on wanting to listen to the album is a good pointer as well. In the past, it's the albums that take the longest to get into that give out the biggest rewards when you do finally 'get it'. Maybe that's because I'm pretty patient with music, unlike some other people I know who've already dismissed this album as 'shite' (that's nobody here by the way).

Like I said before, there is many great moments on this album. A couple of them I'd already heard, like 'Me, I'm Not' which is currently my favourite song on this album, and it's definitely up there with some of my favourite NIN songs. It's just got a great atmosphere in my opinion. Along with 'My Violent Heart' which is quite spooky at the start, which I love. The last three songs are a perfect finishing triumvirant as well. I'm a sucker for the piano, so 'Zero Sum' immediately caught my attention. 'In This Twilight' is definitely a stand out as well, it once again just has a great atmosphere. The whole album feels like a soundtrack, which I think is cool.

Funny as well, I didnt even notice that the CD was white when I took it out, think there was something wrong with my head that day heh! But yeah, I'm going to give 'Year Zero' the time it requires to fully smother me heh!

Oh yeah, and it'll be nice to hear some live renditions of these songs when I see them supporting Foo Fighters here in my very own city in August.

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

Malpractice

i'll give the album a listen maybe later tonight. i have a stack of cds i still have to listen to but i just never get around to it. it's odd considering that a couple years back that would of been impossible lol

Subliminal

Quote from: Chrisbo on Apr 19, 2007, 02:32 PM

Oh yeah, and it'll be nice to hear some live renditions of these songs when I see them supporting Foo Fighters here in my very own city in August.

I heard they weren't supporting the Foo's in the end?? i thought that was kinda mad when it was announced, But i'm not sure though??

But anyway i agree with what you said man, Definetely a grower, Trent's done a shitload of cool things vocal wise though, In This Twilight and Zero sum are amazing.

In This Twilight is one of those songs that are so good but at the same time it's kinda depressing/sad but i always wanna listen to it.

And Zero Sum ahh man, The vocal melodies and the little ''ooooOOO'' parts on the second choruses are just beautiful, truly man. I love it.

Highlights for me are definetely..

My Violent Heart
Survivalism (still)
The Beginning of The End (too short but very sweet)
Capital G
God Given
The Great Destroyer
In This Twilight
Zero Sum

I also agree with Phoenix, I've been a fan since With Teeth so i don't know what it's like having to wait for soooo long for With Teeth and then this album, I can see why it might be a dissapointment for all the old skool fans.