Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

2008 in music

Started by whodunit?, Nov 08, 2008, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whodunit?

I don't know if this has already been done. If yes, delete this thread.

We basically have everything that might have been released or leaked in 2008. What are your favourite records, surprises and dissapointments of the year for you?

Good stuff:

The Mars Volta - "Bedlam In Goliath"
Omar Lopez Rodriguez - "Calibration"
Omar Lopez Rodriguez - "Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fungus"
Keep Of Kalessin - "Kolossus"
Septic Flesh - "Communion"

Nice surprises:
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same" (expanded version)

Dissapointments:
Amon Amarth

Will add some more soon.

Jizzlobber

I was eagerly awaiting some good metal releases all year.

3 in particular were Metallica - Death Magnetic , Slipknot - All hope is gone and Trivium - Shogun.

i think all 3 releases are pretty good...Meshuggah's - Obzen album was good too.

im still waiting for 'Chines Democracy' coz ive heard a track off it and its fucking good!
<

lostpilot

Quote from: bored on Oct 13, 2008, 08:18 PM
for me, highlights of 2008 are
Sigur Ros - Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust
This Will Destroy You - This Will Destroy You
Thrice - The Alchemy Index - Volumes III & IV
Black Mountain - In the Future
The Sound of Animals Fighting - The Ocean and the Sun
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath
Crystal Antlers - Crystal Antlers EP
Idiot Pilot - Heart is Long EP
Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling
Omar Rodriguez - Absence Makes the Geart Grow Fungus (not whole album, of course)
The Evpatoria Report - Maar
The Out Circuit - Pierce the Empire with a Sound
The Photographic - Pictures of a Changing World

I insist you download Crystal Antlers EP. Very nice band.

Zevaka

Quote from: Zevaka @ MBSR forumso, for last week i put all the folders with "2008" in their name to my mp3 player and listened only to that stuff
i must admit again this year is not bad indeed

here is what i've got

shoegaze/dreampop:
Secret Shine (as i said it's wonderful they they still can rock shit. there are not many bands who have kept all their energy and  passed with it through shoegazeless 90s :P)
Mat Bartram
Au Revoir Borealis
Gazelle (maybe it's more post rock sometimes... very good mixture)
Pia Fraus
Resplandor
Safeashome
Sentinel
Soundpool
Cranes (one of later leaks which made me extremely happy... will make it with you, too)
Heavïness
Sennen
Moscow Olympics

indie pop / indie rock:
The Airfields
Ballboy
Bears
David Cronenberg's Wife (thanks to slugbucket for bringing this album. very cool indie / garage / post punk / whatever, with some absolutely amazing lyrics. such albums show that not only mtv funny and happy indie rock shit exist today)
Land of Talk (this one was recommended to be by another mbsr/shell user horh)
The Notwist (oh, this one is very sweet. i really luv the band. they never released shit. even in 1990 when they played some hardcore, they were really cool. but  after they switched to indietronica - oh i hope i use this term in right place :P - they became just epic. must-listen album of the year, imho)
Wolf Parade (yay, baby, pitchfork is in my list! :D but this is really good, indeed, even lame reviewers all over the world can't deny it)
Her Space Holiday (latest album i've listened to. very sunny release)
Twig

Progressive/noise/post-rock:
Boris
The Goslings (can be shoegaze either)
Wooden Shjips
Light Out Asia (OUTSTANDING! LISTEN TO IT! that)
Black Mountain (notable release. it leaked in 2007! and i started listening to it in 2007, and it hasn't become old. it's still fresh and amazing as it was one year ago. when it came out, one guy said something like "too bad it came out in the beginning of the year. all further releases will seem shit in comparison with it". and these words are not complete lie. listen to it if yyou can)
Omar Rodriguez - Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fungus (the album that shows that post-atdi family haven't died yet. Omar has released absolutely amazing post rock album!)
We Made God

neofolk (i think i should mention these two releases separately):
Rome (damn it, what a sad atposmphere! so cool)
Steve Von Till (neurosis member, but plays better music)

disappoints of the year are still the same:
the daysleepers
the mars volta
xiu xiu
Sigur ros (not really bad but lacks their past sexiness)
Zechs Marquise (i'm pretty sure you don't even know about the band but i've been waiting for their debut for so fucking long...)
M83 (the same as about sigur ros)
Hammock (no guitars = no sex)

also there were some GREAT screamo releases this year, but do you care? :D

theis

hmm let's see.

hans zimmer & james newton howard - the dark knight
nick cave and the bad seeds - dig!!! lazarus dig!!!
counting crows - saturday nights & sunday mornings
why? - alopecia
god is an astronaut - god is an astronaut
kings of leon - only by the night
the cure - 4:13 dream
melvins - nude with boots
cult of luna - eternal kingdom
nada surf - lucky
these arms are snakes - tail swallower & dove
mudhoney - the lucky ones
metallica - death magnetic

lostpilot

Battle-Axe

Unearth - The March
The Acacia Strain - Continent
Misery Signals - Controller
After The Burial - Rareform
For The Fallen Dreams - Changes
Meshuggah - obZen
Shai Hulud - Misanthropy Pure
Textures - Silhouettes

I can't remember if the Divine Heresy album was this year or last but it deserves a mention anyway :P

Slightly disappointed in the new 36 Crazyfists and All That Remains albums, though I've only actually heard a few of the ATR tracks.

bright lights, big city

i gotta agree with you except for the new Shai Hulud...i just thought something was missing to it. but I do love the new All that Remains
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Battle-Axe

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 08, 2008, 08:28 PM
i gotta agree with you except for the new Shai Hulud...i just thought something was missing to it. but I do love the new All that Remains

Yea I do know what you mean, like I love Shai Hulud a whole lot and MP is a great album but it's not my favourite though :]

For me I think it's cos production on it is pretty clean and tight compared to their other stuff.. like even That Within Blood Ill-Tempered is pretty raw and dirty and it was only 5 years ago!

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Battle-Axe on Nov 09, 2008, 06:39 PM
Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 08, 2008, 08:28 PM

Yea I do know what you mean, like I love Shai Hulud a whole lot and MP is a great album but it's not my favourite though :]

For me I think it's cos production on it is pretty clean and tight compared to their other stuff.. like even That Within Blood Ill-Tempered is pretty raw and dirty and it was only 5 years ago!
yea you got that right!
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

IDAUMAUDAU

Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing

Death In June - The Rule Of Thirds

Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling

theis

goddammit, 2009 is gonna be amazing when it comes to new albums.

dredg, deftones, isis, fair to midland, glassjaw, mastodon, pearl jam...so fucking stoked.

whodunit?

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Nov 13, 2008, 10:50 PM
goddammit, 2009 is gonna be amazing when it comes to new albums.

deftones, isis, fair to midland, glassjaw, mastodon,

+17 omar albums and two Voltas

Jerry_Curls

I haven't really heard many from this year,  but I would have to say these are ones I enjoyed:

NO AGE- Nouns
Deerhunter- Microcastle & the Weird Era Contd.
Ladytron- Velocifero
The Presets- Apolocalypso
Abe Vigoda- Skeleton
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

defTHE1s

For me, this is my list:

Favorites:
Weezer - Red Album
Scars on Broadway - Scars on Broadway. I really was expecting this album to be released, and it didn't dissapoint me!!!
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip (No one has mentioned it!!!! IT's really amazing!!!)
In Flames - A Sense of Purpose

Good Surprises:
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV, it's like an honorific mention.
Muse - Haarp, The same as above
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath Also an honorific mention
Eyes Set to Kill - Reach, good surprise, someone posted it here, so i downloaded this and had a good time.
Deftones - Live - 20080918 Spaceland, Silverlake, CA.    :D  Yes, it was a big surprise, playing a new (and very good one) song!!!

Dissapointments:
Ill Niño - Enigma, not a big dissapointment, but was not what i was expecting, yet it has some very good songs.

I still have to give more listens to new Slipknot's All Hope is Gone, Mudvayne's The New Game, Soulfly's Conquer

and basically that's all the music for 2008 that i have... if i get more, i'll check it... Probably give a listen to new Metallica's, and Ladytron (what a different styles  ;D )

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

theis

You actually liked the new Weezer album? Damn...

defTHE1s

Yes, i really liked, not like the Blue Album, but still enjoyable...
But the bonus songs are better!! They should have been in the album...

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

deafnotes

2000 decade is one of the worst decade in rock?