Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Eros

Started by Vesanic, Mar 23, 2010, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkmaggit

I'd love for it to be released in physical format. I love being able to hold a CD in my hand and having a booklet with pictures and lyrics to look at. It appeals to the collector in me.
It would be great if they released a deluxe or limited edition with a big booklet with loads of pics of the band with Chi and of Chi himself and possibly with some funny or interesting stories of his time in the band.
I'd pay good money for something like that and it would be even better if they donated a share of each record to Chi's recovery.
It would also be a great way to get people who have heard of Chi's condition but have never heard Deftones, to buy their first Deftones album in the name of a good cause. Also people who do listen to Deftones but download their albums illegally, instead of paying money for them will now have a reason to actually buy the album or have their conscience suffer. Obviously the band and Chi would benefit so everyone wins.
I say release it now so that Chi can get some much needed money for his recovery. He worked hard and had a big input on this album so why should it sit there on the shelf when it could be bringing him some much needed money at a time when he needs it the most.

from_musings

I agree with you. Chi, deftones, the record company would all benefit from a release of the record. +we fans get to hear the highly anticipated music. what forces,in not releasing it, would be bigger than that?

make the release a little more deluxe in terms of packeting and pictures but take out an excessive price for it. and go out with that one part of the money would go to chi, we are many who would buy it. one or two copies.release it in different colors and even on vinyl. spend 20% more than normal in doing it but charge 100% more. don't underestimate our love for deftones and chi. i think you're right- imagine a fan who would not buy this album, even a fan who normally doesn't buy their records. This time, surely many downloaders would feel forced to buy it. downloading the album without paying for it? their fan mark would be erased.

we, hearing the music, is secondary but I wonder how deftones themselves think about it. I can understand that they, after chi's accident, wait to begin with, wait to see what happens. maybe things could work out for themselves. but it's been quite some time now. time is ticking.

chino + others may not like the music on eros, how it represents them today, but how can that be more important than chi getting more help from a job he was part of. if some money from it can increase the chances of him getting better, why not do it? it's his life we're talking about

I hope that the reasons for having eros on the shelf now is bigger than what's been said in interviews. the answers, waiting for chi to wake up, was ok in the begnning, but now?

Inkblades

I do think Eros will be released one day. Just not anytime soon.

chino17

Eros must be release as a deluxe edition because about the situation the band have to make money with it

just to help their brother it's limpid ....

but for now what's the fuckin' bone why they don't release it!?
hope we never do meet again !

from_musings

Quote from: chino17 on Jul 05, 2011, 08:57 PM
Eros must be release as a deluxe edition because about the situation the band have to make money with it

what if they release a regular eros cd, but also - a double eros cd with the regular disc + 1 disc with bonus material, maybe some films from the studio, a riff that didn't make it etc.one on vinyl and then.. the big eros box .. the packeting is shaped like a big greek god .. and you open the face to get the cd. you also get a eros poster with that box + a one love for chi t-shirt. it would cost a fortune, only for the die hards ^

from_musings

and for those who just can't get enough of this era: the eros doll. also in the form of a greek god. it's when you open the top part of the skull you will get the disc,and the picture on the disc is a brain. when you press the nose on the doll it's a little speaker inside the mouth that says a greek saying about love. the're 10 pre-programmed sayings that goes around in order. there's also a small bit of brown hasch the butthole of the doll, always ready to be enjoyed while listening to the record to make it a special a eros trip.many of you will probably say" I quit playing with dolls when I was five" but this is a very special doll. can't believe it's not in the making

silver1

Quote from: from_musings on Jul 07, 2011, 06:31 PM
and for those who just can't get enough of this era: the eros doll. also in the form of a greek god. it's when you open the top part of the skull you will get the disc,and the picture on the disc is a brain. when you press the nose on the doll it's a little speaker inside the mouth that says a greek saying about love. the're 10 pre-programmed sayings that goes around in order. there's also a small bit of brown hasch the butthole of the doll, always ready to be enjoyed while listening to the record to make it a special a eros trip.many of you will probably say" I quit playing with dolls when I was five" but this is a very special doll. can't believe it's not in the making

Either you've completely lost it or we're getting way too far ahead of ourselves here. Unfortunately nothing's guaranteed regarding the Eros era - not even a release of the music produced during that time. Speculate all you want, even about packaging and the promotional tactics surrounding the release, but chances are we'll never hear a thing from Eros. Hopefully I am completely wrong. What a day that would be.

chino17

hey ! totally agree with you "from musings"

i'd like to see a second disc with the outtakes , videos in the studio and much more!
hope we never do meet again !

wheresmysnare

I think the band might just think that Eros is not good enough to release and don't want to risk popping the little bubble of good press that diamond eyes received, Eros might have very little relevance artistically to Diamond Eyes and thus doesnt offer a logical progression if it were to be relased now.

silver1

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Jul 07, 2011, 08:53 PM
I think the band might just think that Eros is not good enough to release and don't want to risk popping the little bubble of good press that diamond eyes received, Eros might have very little relevance artistically to Diamond Eyes and thus doesnt offer a logical progression if it were to be relased now.

I completely agree. I almost would rather not have it be released if the band isn't on board with it. The preferred direction I would hope they take is re-visit the Eros material, use portions of that material that they still enjoy and incorporate this into a new full length album. From there, they could create a Collector's Edition and include a second disk of what the old Eros release would have been like. Therefore, we get new material and die-hard fans are forced into a win-win situation.

tarkil

I liked the "hash in the butthole of the doll" idea though...  :-\

Can we still have it ?

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

from_musings

yup, but the follow-up question is more interesting- is it an acceptable excuse from them to keep eros in the vault? if eros could give money to chi, is deftones pride and vanity and their view on the band, where it is now sonically, more important? what's important in life?

a hypothetical question or whatever (will not happen but to produce an eye-opener) what if the record company would go out and say that they want to release eros and give some money to chi from it.. if deftones would say "no it would ruin the buzz d.e is having" and "we do not feel like the music represents us today" a lot of fans would think they were selfish idiots. next after that - do they really have to answer a question like that to to make us react? isn't this what's already is at stake? (there's of course the option that the record company don't want to release eros)

from_musings

Quote from: tarkil on Jul 08, 2011, 09:02 AM
I liked the "hash in the butthole of the doll" idea though...  :-\

Can we still have it ?

I believe warner and toys r us are in the final process of the deal.

in stores pwetty soon

wheresmysnare

Quote from: from_musings on Jul 09, 2011, 04:37 PM

yup, but the follow-up question is more interesting- is it an acceptable excuse from them to keep eros in the vault? if eros could give money to chi, is deftones pride and vanity and their view on the band, where it is now sonically, more important? what's important in life?

a hypothetical question or whatever (will not happen but to produce an eye-opener) what if the record company would go out and say that they want to release eros and give some money to chi from it.. if deftones would say "no it would ruin the buzz d.e is having" and "we do not feel like the music represents us today" a lot of fans would think they were selfish idiots. next after that - do they really have to answer a question like that to to make us react? isn't this what's already is at stake? (there's of course the option that the record company don't want to release eros)

Yeah good points, either way the decision rests with the record company, as they almost certainly contractually own the rights to Eros. I think the best thing to do (as i think has already been suggested here) would be to do a radiohead style release online with an option to donate to chi. This would be morally be the best way.... but then record companies don't really do morals...anyway it will get leaked eventually i'm sure.

from_musings

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Jul 09, 2011, 05:40 PM
anyway it will get leaked eventually i'm sure.

maybe. but the only ones benefiting from a leak would be the stingy fans.i hope all involved in the making can get some earnings from the material. time money blood sweat beers and tears have been put into it (i think)

Nebontha

Eros was not finished (lyrically and vocally at least), and Chino cannot get back into the original mindset he was in when he was writing the lyrics to the tracks that he did do...
I am no longer keeping my hopes up for this material surfacing.  It's pointless.
Depressing? Yes.
Suck it up fairy princess.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

iceache

Quote from: Nebontha on Jul 19, 2011, 04:24 AM
Eros was not finished (lyrically and vocally at least), and Chino cannot get back into the original mindset he was in when he was writing the lyrics to the tracks that he did do...
I am no longer keeping my hopes up for this material surfacing.  It's pointless.
Depressing? Yes.
Suck it up fairy princess.

From what i've read, the lyrics are done, they just have to be recorded.

Vesanic

Quote from: iceache on Jul 19, 2011, 05:00 AM
From what i've read, the lyrics are done, they just have to be recorded.

Might be, I don't know, but even in that case, he hasn't come up with a structure for these lyrics yet, and like Nebontha said, he cannot get back into the mindset he was in during the Eros days. With the finished songs and the songs he has to work on, Eros would sound like two different singers work on it. That would feel awkward, to me, but that's just me. It would be nice to hear the finished songs at least, that's the only thing I'm asking for...

jaypayton

Every band has tons of unfinished songs in their vaults. Faith No More had over 10 songs written for the Album of the Year LP and just needed lyrics and vocals and Mike Patton came in and threw them all out because he refused to record vocals on those songs, so they started from scratch. Trent reznor has stated he has over 30 unreleased songs for The Fragile (some with vocals, some just instrumentals) the Cure recorded over 30 songs for Disintegration--most will never see the light of day...If they really wanted it to come out they would "leak" it and not give a fuck what the record company thinks

Nebontha

QuoteEvery band has tons of unfinished songs in their vaults. Faith No More had over 10 songs written for the Album of the Year LP and just needed lyrics and vocals and Mike Patton came in and threw them all out because he refused to record vocals on those songs, so they started from scratch. Trent reznor has stated he has over 30 unreleased songs for The Fragile (some with vocals, some just instrumentals) the Cure recorded over 30 songs for Disintegration--most will never see the light of day...If they really wanted it to come out they would "leak" it and not give a fuck what the record company thinks
NO, they would NOT leak it!  It's the last thing that Chi worked on!  It really has NOTHING to do with the record company, it really all comes down to Chi being in his condition.  They are not doing ANYTHING with Eros until they get a conscious decision from Chi.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.