Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

from_musings

Quote from: ANattyRat on Sep 10, 2015, 08:46 AM
At the end of the day, it depends on your preferences. Some people prefer Adrenaline, even though they've grown and evolved and improved so much since then.

I don't think stephen has evolved that much since adrenaline (which had awesome riffs) on the contrary, it's rather the opposite of that. to quote cain on kny: it's like stephen isn't even trying anymore.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 10, 2015, 11:25 AM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Sep 10, 2015, 08:46 AM
At the end of the day, it depends on your preferences. Some people prefer Adrenaline, even though they've grown and evolved and improved so much since then.

I don't think stephen has evolved that much since adrenaline (which had awesome riffs) on the contrary, it's rather the opposite of that. to quote cain on kny: it's like stephen isn't even trying anymore.
I don't think so, for a while he just settled into power chords but on the last record he incorporated more techniques like tapping and tremolo picking, definitely not complex stuff but it shows he's moving in  the right direction, I have high hopes he's continued that on the new album especially after seeing that long interview where he talks about how seeing people on youtube has inspired to become a better guitar player and pursue further training.

from_musings

yeah there's finger tapping in entombed,something new i agree. but when you say tremolo picking, do you mean the "solo" in swerve city?

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 10, 2015, 01:38 PM
yeah there's finger tapping in entombed,something new i agree. but when you say tremolo picking, do you mean the "solo" in swerve city?
Yeah there's some in goon squad aswell, not sure it's actually tremolo picked or whether it's an effect but it has a tremolo sound anyway, also not sure who wrote it Chino may have I know he plays it live atleast.

Capt Snow

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 10, 2015, 01:29 AM
Yep, Deftones fans are dumb as shit.

Maybe you should actually listen to Deftones albums a little more before you start shitposting.

Inkblades

So much stuff that I disagree with on the last two pages, but I'm not really going to change the minds of anyone, so I won't even bother. Plus, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so I will respect that...

PSYCH!

KNY IS IN THEIR TOP THREE ALBUMS AND EQUAL TO WHITE PONY?

ADRENALINE IS BETTER THAN ATF?

PALMS IS BETTER THAN S/T, SNW AND TEAM SLEEP?

*runs out of thread*

from_musings

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 10, 2015, 01:58 PM
Yeah there's some in goon squad aswell, not sure it's actually tremolo picked or whether it's an effect but it has a tremolo sound anyway, also not sure who wrote it Chino may have I know he plays it live atleast.

stephen used tremolo picking back in 1995 on the 7 words b-side/promo "please please please let me get what i want" so using that again 17 years later isn't that evolving i think. the power chords on adrenaline is far more bad ass than the powerchords and hitting that lower string on an 8-string guitar a la rosemary on kny. most of the kny riffs sounds so dull and inspired. like i said, entombed is a song that is something new.
but that one song isn't enough "proof" that he is constantly evolving growing and improving since the adrenaline days

Inkblades

Also, tremolo picking or not, that main riff on Entombed gets really repetitive.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 10, 2015, 03:47 PM
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 10, 2015, 01:58 PM

stephen used tremolo picking back in 1995 on the 7 words b-side/promo "please please please let me get what i want" so using that again 17 years later isn't that evolving i think. the power chords on adrenaline is far more bad ass than the powerchords and hitting that lower string on an 8-string guitar a la rosemary on kny. most of the kny riffs sounds so dull and inspired. like i said, entombed is a song that is something new.
but that one song isn't enough "proof" that he is constantly evolving growing and improving since the adrenaline days
I'm aware of that and having played all the albums on guitar Adrenaline is still the hardest to play just because of the speed and subtle changes my comment wasn't really talking about his development overall, I agree he hasn't developed much as a player over his career what I was talking about is his playing on KNY vs the preceding albums like DE and SNW which were simpler, basically even though his playing has been pretty basic for a while KNY is a step in the right direction.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 10, 2015, 03:55 PM
Also, tremolo picking or not, that main riff on Entombed gets really repetitive.

True, however I think it's more the sum of their parts what makes their music so great and appealing to me, nowadays. In the earlier years it was really just guitar, bass and drums, so it was up to Stephen to create the memorable melodies in their music. But now that they have Frank on keys and synths and Chino as an additional guitarist he can take a step back and focus on playing what he really prefers, which is playing rhythm guitar. Sure, his riffs have gotten simpler, but with everyone else playing together their instrumentation as a whole has become more complex and layered.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah it's not the best I feel it fits the song as it is but he could have added more to the song by developing the riff but it's a good sign for me because it shows he may be reassessing his playing and looking at other ways he can play, Chino may have written it but I like that Stephen may be picking up his guitar and doing something outside what he is automatically drawn to, could be Chino talking bullshit but if there is some truth to the "we're forcing ourselves to take songs in less obvious directions" thing then it could be a good writing environment for him to do something new.

from_musings

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Sep 10, 2015, 04:23 PM

But now that they have Frank on keys and synths...

i see your point,i just want to say and clarify that frank did stuff on all of their records.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: from_musings on Sep 10, 2015, 04:34 PM
Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Sep 10, 2015, 04:23 PM

But now that they have Frank on keys and synths...

i see your point,i just want to say and clarify that frank did stuff on all of their records.

I know, but come on, he only has a pivotal role in the band since White Pony

from_musings

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 10, 2015, 04:27 PM
"we're forcing ourselves to take songs in less obvious directions"

can also mean that they're pushing themselves into a territory they can't handle

Diplo

And that's would be great.

I agree with so many post in this thread... I really think they have improved them as musicians in a wayAnd that's would be great.

I agree with so many post in this thread... I really think they have improve them as musician in a way but it's not individualy, they have improved themselfs as a group. Just listen Noosebleed and then Entombed, Im not saying wich one is better, it's just not the same thing, but the way it's written it's a proof of maturity.

Also I want Abe to be more present, since snw (where he was sooo good) I dont know it lacks something not individualy, but  have improved themselfs as a group. Just listen Noosebleed and then Entombed, Im not saying wich one is better, it's just not the same thing, but the way it's written it's a proof of maturity.

Also I want Abe to be more present, since snw (where he was sooo good) I dont know it lacks something

RavinVsFlud

I'll just put this right here

Deftones' Chino Moreno Rig Rundown Video & Live Footage Available from theprp

https://youtu.be/DQ1oq7qfd_0

Jesus2Chino

Really interesting and clean setup. And dang, his vocal is on point these days.

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

Hinojos

Quote from: RavinVsFlud on Sep 11, 2015, 09:37 PM

At 6:26, is that Cherry Waves I see on the setlist? Woah!

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Hinojos on Sep 13, 2015, 01:15 PM

How can you even read that?
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

el perro

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Sep 14, 2015, 06:02 PM
Quote from: Hinojos on Sep 13, 2015, 01:15 PM

How can you even read that?

Hinojos obviously has better eyesight than you do.

Really interesting to see a rundown of Chino's gear. Seems like no time at all that he was using Orange amps. Anyway doesn't matter he still sucks at playing guitar.