Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoi Yes Kokan

stephens tone is always glorious, the diamond eyes record is the last time he used his marshall rig and you can hear it, its like ATF with 8 string guitars, there's no reason to bitch, he's been doing the same exact thing since the beginning, just at different octaves.

Korea Rounding

Quote from: Sicario on Feb 20, 2016, 02:41 PM
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/deftones_guitarist_and_co-founder_stephen_carpenter_talks_to_ug_i_didnt_want_to_play_on_the_new_record.html?no_takeover

Damn that's some expert level passive aggressiveness right there.
Totally unprofessional move, if you're not happy leave the band, don't stay for the cash and talk shit about the product you're about to put out into a marketplace. Weak weak weak, I'd be incensed if I were his bandmates.

Bifrost

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 11, 2016, 12:20 PM
Quote from: RavinVsFlud on Mar 10, 2016, 06:28 PM
New interview with chino and Stephen. Pretty in depth on the instruments side of things, writing the new album, etc.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/23895

Chino's Knaggs guitar is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen, holy shit

yeah I thought the same, never seen one of those before.

2MoreHours

Quote from: Korea Rounding on Mar 11, 2016, 09:03 PM
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/deftones_guitarist_and_co-founder_stephen_carpenter_talks_to_ug_i_didnt_want_to_play_on_the_new_record.html?no_takeover

Totally unprofessional move, if you're not happy leave the band, don't stay for the cash and talk shit about the product you're about to put out into a marketplace. Weak weak weak, I'd be incensed if I were his bandmates.

I agree.  Pretty unprofessional on his part.  He isn't getting his own way in terms of every song being played on an open low bass string on his 8 string guitar so he's whining about it.  Some of those songs sound cool but some of them also suck.  Deftones do a good job balancing that stuff.  I wouldn't want that stuff on every single song.  It gets stupid sometimes.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah Stephs most interesting riffs haven't been his recent ones,I still like his playing but he's just not going outside the box anymore, there's just a lack of experimentation in his riffs and tone, he's got his comfort zone but it seems he maybe stagnating in it, really wish he would actually just work on his playing like he keeps saying he wants to, I feel like he's got more to offer than what he's doing now.

ANattyRat

It's a bit passive-aggressive but I don't think it's much of an attack or anything. He was laughing during that interview, it's not something he's currently upset about, he's just being honest, and so is Chino. They've obviously been doing this for quite a while now, and I think they know each other well enough that they don't take it personally. Chino said he didn't like the 8-string, but that wasn't an attack either. Stephen doesn't say he hates the music, he said it took him a while to get into it. He's not in it for the money, he just wants more creative input than what he currently gets.

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 11, 2016, 10:12 PM

I agree.  Pretty unprofessional on his part.  He isn't getting his own way in terms of every song being played on an open low bass string on his 8 string guitar so he's whining about it.  Some of those songs sound cool but some of them also suck.  Deftones do a good job balancing that stuff.  I wouldn't want that stuff on every single song.  It gets stupid sometimes.

You've gone to the extreme end of the spectrum for no reason. He didn't say he wanted every song played his way, he was saying that if Chino doesn't like it, they don't play it. So basically, if Stephen has an idea for a song he enjoys but Chino doesn't like it for whatever reason (too heavy, too metal, whatever), it gets thrown out. Which must suck, you know? He's not saying his ideas never survive the creation process, just that the final say is down to Chino. It's OK for band members to want more of a say in the music they make. It doesn't mean he wants complete control.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Mar 11, 2016, 11:55 PM
Yeah Stephs most interesting riffs haven't been his recent ones,I still like his playing but he's just not going outside the box anymore, there's just a lack of experimentation in his riffs and tone, he's got his comfort zone but it seems he maybe stagnating in it, really wish he would actually just work on his playing like he keeps saying he wants to, I feel like he's got more to offer than what he's doing now.

What he's playing on the Doomed User verses is pretty different, though. Riff- and tonewise.

Yoi Yes Kokan

all that matters is that what he does is constantly and consistently good and it is.

shine down unshy

Yeah well it is pretty lacking. On songs like YSTB, CMND/CTRL, and even Doomed User.  He just uses that top string way too much. 

Yoi Yes Kokan

why did you just now decide to bitch? there were 8 other albums to whine about the fact he's not EVH.

shine down unshy

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 12, 2016, 02:01 AM
why did you just now decide to bitch? there were 8 other albums to whine about the fact he's not EVH.

Loud mouth motherfucker...swallow a dick nigga.

snw9

I agree, he did mention that he had nothing to prove and didn't want to go all over the fret board in some interview. I guess now is his opportunity to step it up.

Code: [Select]

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: shine down unshy on Mar 12, 2016, 03:12 AM
Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 12, 2016, 02:01 AM

Loud mouth motherfucker...swallow a dick nigga.

keep with that old 777 clique.

dont call me nigger, whitey.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: snw9 on Mar 12, 2016, 04:04 AM

I agree, he did mention that he had nothing to prove and didn't want to go all over the fret board in some interview. I guess now is his opportunity to step it up.
Yeah I don't expect solos just use the range an 8 string provides a for a better effect, the chugging riffs are cool but I like it when they're offset with some contrasting riffs higher up the register,I get Chino kind of provides that but I feel like those low heavy riffs lose there impact when they're so consistently present.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 11, 2016, 03:22 PM
stephens tone is always glorious, the diamond eyes record is the last time he used his marshall rig and you can hear it, its like ATF with 8 string guitars, there's no reason to bitch, he's been doing the same exact thing since the beginning, just at different octaves.
Maybe but in the range he's in now it lacks definition, when your higher up you can stay on the low strings and get a good mix of bottom end weight and higher notes cutting through, it's fine to go lower but I feel like you need to adjust your playing to keep the balance between bottom end boom and the higher frequencies that gives you some edge.

wheresmysnare

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Mar 12, 2016, 07:12 AM
Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 11, 2016, 03:22 PM
Maybe but in the range he's in now it lacks definition, when your higher up you can stay on the low strings and get a good mix of bottom end weight and higher notes cutting through, it's fine to go lower but I feel like you need to adjust your playing to keep the balance between bottom end boom and the higher frequencies that gives you some edge.

yep it sounds like his guitar sound is pumped out through a vat of syrup.

from_musings

Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 12, 2016, 12:35 AM
He was laughing during that interview

source? where can i hear this laughter

snw9

It's a bit passive-aggressive but I don't think it's much of an attack or anything. He was laughing during that interview, it's not something he's currently upset about, he's just being honest, and so is Chino. They've obviously been doing this for quite a while now, and I think they know each other well enough that they don't take it personally. Chino said he didn't like the 8-string, but that wasn't an attack either. Stephen doesn't say he hates the music, he said it took him a while to get into it. He's not in it for the money, he just wants more creative input than what he currently gets.

You've gone to the extreme end of the spectrum for no reason. He didn't say he wanted every song played his way, he was saying that if Chino doesn't like it, they don't play it. So basically, if Stephen has an idea for a song he enjoys but Chino doesn't like it for whatever reason (too heavy, too metal, whatever), it gets thrown out. Which must suck, you know? He's not saying his ideas never survive the creation process, just that the final say is down to Chino. It's OK for band members to want more of a say in the music they make. It doesn't mean he wants complete control.

I understood that the balance between Chino's songs and Steph's songs was attained on Diamond Eyes and Eros (based on the older interviews of Chino mentioning he played less guitar). It's great to hear Chino's input on the tracks however I don't think he should be taking the lead all the time. The chemistry of Diamond eyes was great, some songs were heavy however featured clean vocals (Risk, Diamond Eyes, Prince, 976-evil) and more aggressive (Rocket skates, CMD/CTRL, Royal). On KNY, its quite evident that Chino took more control.

the next album should have 12 songs, 6 Chino and 6 Steph. No arguments, everyones' input is heard and no feeling of being "left out."
Code: [Select]

Capt Snow

Quote from: snw9 on Mar 15, 2016, 03:23 AM

I understood that the balance between Chino's songs and Steph's songs was attained on Diamond Eyes and Eros (based on the older interviews of Chino mentioning he played less guitar). It's great to hear Chino's input on the tracks however I don't think he should be taking the lead all the time. The chemistry of Diamond eyes was great, some songs were heavy however featured clean vocals (Risk, Diamond Eyes, Prince, 976-evil) and more aggressive (Rocket skates, CMD/CTRL, Royal). On KNY, its quite evident that Chino took more control.

the next album should have 12 songs, 6 Chino and 6 Steph. No arguments, everyones' input is heard and no feeling of being "left out."

Lol this guy thinks he's a band member

sharinglungs

Quoterecently spread an interview Deftones guitarist Stephen Car made with Ultimate Guitar. Dar said that he initially ir vile play on "Gore" when he heard the ideas colleagues had. Gen interpreted the statement as he hates the disc and is on the way out of the band Just days later (see interview on pages 22-23) had trummi Abe Cunningham tired of commenting they read on after the title was understood that what Carpenter meant was that he had difficulty to agree with the direction of Gore ", but finally succeeded. and when listening to the finished result is actually Carpenter that impresses the most. in songs like Pittura infamante and" Doomed user, he shows a rediscovered rlek to Riffa loose, the likes of which have not been heard since "Around the Fur Biggest moment on the album is" Hearts and wires. "Strumming operation in the protracted, small ambientminnande intro is none other than the gastrointestinal There characterize than the main track, whose atmosphere is reminiscent of classic Passenger" from "White pony Speaking of guitar playing has a great talking point for the "Gore has been Alice in Chains-man Jerry Cantrell's guest appearance in" Phantom Bride ". The song icy a beautifully melancholy piece with a light autumn feeling. Cantrell sparse melancholy guitar solo appears as a center in the late steals focus, and then exit. It does not sound like something he could do in Alice in Chains, nor as something Deftones had hatched on its own. There is something truly unique that were developed for the spirit is. Otherwise? The record an airier. more dreamy atmosphere than for its immediate predecessor and I have thumbs that Gore Exceeds the songs. Something as doormigt as "Acid has never done and as the soundtrack for a psychological thriller Constant is dim. Tone, which runs as a thread through the songs. Any spretighet after all expe built thus effectively and a true masterpiece is a fact. SEBASTIAN zwEINIGER

Sorry for the shit translation but that's the best Google could do.

Sounds like Pittura and Doomed User are gonna be heavy fast songs while Hearts/Wires is going to be their biggest moment of the album, the "Passenger" of Gore.