Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

SONS OF ANARCHY

Started by theis, Jun 03, 2010, 09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chick de la lynch

Yeah, I'm definitely not fond of path Tara is going down either. I don't know if Sutter is trying to point out how the club can turn any one to the dark side or if he's making his characters evil so that way they can find redemption later on in the series. I think he enjoys fucking shit up way too much. He gets himself in a corner and sometimes it works, and other times it falls flat. I'm just crossing my fingers the season finale this year gives us something to yearn for.

Oh, and I still miss Opie. :(

samson simpson

This show is probably 1 of the most unpredictable ones Ive sat down and tried to keep track of. You never know who is gonna go.
Opie was awesome . fool had 2 silvers, long hair and just looked and acted like a nut ever since his old lady and Pops got their issue ...it was sad but awesome in a brutal way to see him go out .

never thought I would dig this show since I heard it was on basic cable here in the states ..but like Breaking Bad , It seems to prove the exception when it comes to pay channels having all the clout.. especially when it comes to violence, foul language and a great dirty gritty storyline.

and Clay is the fucking devil.

nobody but Perlman could pull his role off

Stephen King's Desperation - Ron Perlman2
TAK!

jbmp1390

Dude, props for the Desperation clip. Have you ever read the book? So fucking good. And Ron Perlman was incredible in the movie version. One of the few movies based on a book that actually lives up to what it was based on.

TAK!

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

samson simpson

Quote from: jbmp1390 on Nov 06, 2012, 06:58 PM
Dude, props for the Desperation clip. Have you ever read the book? So fucking good. And Ron Perlman was incredible in the movie version. One of the few movies based on a book that actually lives up to what it was based on.

TAK!

yea man

Ive probably read more King books than my mind should have allowed / handled . My fav. of course being It ( really hope production on that gets started soon and stays true to the book since its got the green light and a great screenplay writer at the helm) and all his others have always got to me...i could go on about his writing ..might start a thread ..Ive read most his work and Desperation is up there in my top 10..although I have to say it could of been alot better on film ( only thing that saved it to me was that they cast Perlman ala like they did Curry for IT)

great shit regardless..

Id love to see 2 stories from him made in to some type of cinema before I die man...and its from " Everything's Eventual"

"The Man in the Black Suit" and "Riding the Bullet"

awesome shit

jbmp1390

I agree it could have been better. But seeing as it's such a long and complex book, I was actually pretty fucking impressed with how they managed to keep it pretty true to the story.  Speaking of other books of his I'd like to see in cinema, a movie version of The Gunslinger would kick fucking ass.

chick de la lynch

Just saw last night's episode. I'll give Sutter this--he's open to doing anything on his shows. Sometimes it's brilliant and sometimes it's weird or awful, but he definitely doesn't follow a formula that's for sure.

I don't know how I feel about the Otto/Tara scene, but I definitely felt uncomfortable. I read Warming Glow's review and it was pretty harsh. The review stated that it was the Otto/Tara scene when SOA jumped the shark. Did anyone else think it jumped the shark at that moment? Because I sure as hell didn't. Maybe I'm biased because I like this show too much.

bright lights, big city

I read that too, and I'm starting to agree with some of what he writes about the show. Rowles on WG honestly kinda pisses me off sometimes in his posts, and his SoA reviews really bitch about EVERYTHING, which is annoying. I still love watching this show, and I'll admit it really is soap-opera-y. But Rowles wrote something at the end of his last review that made a lot of sense:

QuoteWe Need Tangible Evidence — Those were the words of Bobby again, reiterating that they can't take out Clay until they have "tangible evidence" that he was behind the home invasions. I hate to beat a dead horse, but no matter how many times Bobby or Jax say that, it doesn't make it any more true. They have plenty to indict Clay. If this was a court of law, there'd enough evidence to convict four times over. But more importantly, JAX PLANS TO KILL JUICE WITH NO "TANGIBLE EVIDENCE." Jax had a HUNCH that Juice was the informant, and that's all it takes to seal the fate of Juice? But with Clay? Apparently, they have to catch him in the act of shooting someone with videotaped evidence. There's a clear double standard here. Only Jax knows that Juice is the informant, but every member of SAMCRO except for Happy and Filthy Phil know that Clay was responsible for the home invasions. And yet, it's Juice's life that is in immediate danger. THIS SHOW MAKES NO F**KING SENSE.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 08, 2012, 03:59 PM
I read that too, and I'm starting to agree with some of what he writes about the show. Rowles on WG honestly kinda pisses me off sometimes in his posts, and his SoA reviews really bitch about EVERYTHING, which is annoying. I still love watching this show, and I'll admit it really is soap-opera-y. But Rowles wrote something at the end of his last review that made a lot of sense:

QuoteWe Need Tangible Evidence — Those were the words of Bobby again, reiterating that they can't take out Clay until they have "tangible evidence" that he was behind the home invasions. I hate to beat a dead horse, but no matter how many times Bobby or Jax say that, it doesn't make it any more true. They have plenty to indict Clay. If this was a court of law, there'd enough evidence to convict four times over. But more importantly, JAX PLANS TO KILL JUICE WITH NO "TANGIBLE EVIDENCE." Jax had a HUNCH that Juice was the informant, and that's all it takes to seal the fate of Juice? But with Clay? Apparently, they have to catch him in the act of shooting someone with videotaped evidence. There's a clear double standard here. Only Jax knows that Juice is the informant, but every member of SAMCRO except for Happy and Filthy Phil know that Clay was responsible for the home invasions. And yet, it's Juice's life that is in immediate danger. THIS SHOW MAKES NO F**KING SENSE.

Yeah, Dustin is a bitch. Bring Matt back! He did Corgi Friday right--no offense to Danger. I love him and he's one of my favorites at WG, but Corgis should be appreciated using AT LEAST 20 Corgi pictures.

Rowles' quote on the "tangible evidence" bit Sutter is using on this show hits it right on the nose. The Sons have always been impulsive and have never used evidence to decide who lives and who dies (Donna, anyone?) I think Sutter is running into difficulty trying to keep Clay alive for as long as possible and it's becoming illogical in the show's universe. Clay should have been dead by now by the Sons standard and the fact that he's still alive is just implausible at this point. If Clay doesn't die by the season finale, then the show is doing something absolutely wrong.

If Jax ends up killing Juice without any evidence, then it proves there is a double standard on the show and Sutter is doing things willy nilly to keep the audience interested. It would be show suicide if Sutter killed another universally loved character on the show. You seriously cannot kill Opie and Juice in the same season and still expect an audience to show up next season. If Juice dies, then what other lovable characters are left on the show?

jbmp1390

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Nov 08, 2012, 09:43 AM
Just saw last night's episode. I'll give Sutter this--he's open to doing anything on his shows. Sometimes it's brilliant and sometimes it's weird or awful, but he definitely doesn't follow a formula that's for sure.

I don't know how I feel about the Otto/Tara scene, but I definitely felt uncomfortable. I read Warming Glow's review and it was pretty harsh. The review stated that it was the Otto/Tara scene when SOA jumped the shark. Did anyone else think it jumped the shark at that moment? Because I sure as hell didn't. Maybe I'm biased because I like this show too much.

I agree that it definitely was uncomfortable and just unnecessary. I don't think this show has jumped the shark necessarily but I think it's starting to lose its greatness. A lot of just generally fucked up shit happening, seemingly just for the sake of seeing how fucked up things can get. I'm personally just getting really tired of almost every aspect of this show.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Nov 08, 2012, 10:06 PM
Yeah, Dustin is a bitch. Bring Matt back! He did Corgi Friday right--no offense to Danger. I love him and he's one of my favorites at WG, but Corgis should be appreciated using AT LEAST 20 Corgi pictures.
glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

chick de la lynch

Quote from: jbmp1390 on Nov 08, 2012, 10:52 PM
Quote from: chick de la lynch on Nov 08, 2012, 09:43 AM

I agree that it definitely was uncomfortable and just unnecessary. I don't think this show has jumped the shark necessarily but I think it's starting to lose its greatness. A lot of just generally fucked up shit happening, seemingly just for the sake of seeing how fucked up things can get. I'm personally just getting really tired of almost every aspect of this show.

The show has been very frustrating for me this past season, but I would rather a show runner just try to make the show interesting for both the writers and viewers and fail than to make it easy on himself and follow a generic formula to guarantee ratings.  I just wish Sutter was more consistent in the logic of the show. I think that's where a lot of my frustration comes from. Who knows? Maybe the season finale will kick so much ass we'll just forget about what has happened with the show this season.

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 08, 2012, 11:59 PM
Quote from: chick de la lynch on Nov 08, 2012, 10:06 PM
glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

+1

jbmp1390

Say what you want about Dustin Rowles. His reviews and analyses of this show are fucking spot on. I was going to post a long diatribe about the last episode but then I read his review on uproxx so I'm just going to post a link to that. He said everything I was thinking. I hope you guys read it and realize that he is right whether you like him or not. http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/11/10-things-we-learned-from-last-nights-maddening-sons-of-anarchy/

chick de la lynch

His review for the past episode was pretty on the mark, but I still think he over-dramatizes shit a little too much.

I think this quote from Rowles encapsulates what I think about the show at this point:

QuoteHe makes up sh*t as he goes along, and then retroactively attempts to fit it in. It does, however, make for compelling television. As frustrating as Sons of Anarchy can get, and as much as Sutter has destroyed his characters, every episode is entertaining.

I may not enjoy Sutter's logic, but I do appreciate he manages to keep me interested. I'd rather Sutter try shit out and fail at it, then not try anything at all.

Also: Is Tara an idiot? No, seriously. I saw what Otto was going to do with that crucifix the minute he asked for it. How in fucking hell did she manage to make it though med school and become a great surgeon?!

bright lights, big city

I actually read most of uproxx's tv reviews, and still not a big fan of his. But yeah I'll admit he is spot on right now with SoA. The first half the season I thought Dustin was completely nuts, but I guess I was slow in realizing Sutter's writing strategy, and the current state of the show.

Still entertaining television, but it does get frustrating - the random Grim Bastards appearance and that they're important allies. And the whole Opie revenge plot is aggravating. Does Jax forget that Pope put the whole plot into play?
DERP

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 17, 2012, 10:28 AM
Opie revenge plot is aggravating. Does Jax forget that Pope put the whole plot into play?

I don't get where Sutter is going with that, either. Jax keeps kissing Pope's ass and that makes no logical sense whatsoever. If my best friend was killed in front of me, I'd kill the guy behind the murder, not the guy paid to do the murdering. That's just fucking stupid.

The Clay plot is also annoying. Why do we need physical proof that Clay was behind the murders and the break-ins? Since when did the Sons become a court of law? The season finale better have a damn good pay off and make some sort of logical sense.

jbmp1390

Exactly, you guys have said exactly what I thought. All of a sudden Jax is all buddy buddy with Pope, almost seeking his approval like a fucking puppy. Then the whole grim bastards thing. Shitting on a 20 year alliance basically cuz he didn't like the look on the face of the hired thug but now he's homies with the guy who ultimately set his killing in motion. Then the Clay bullshit like Chick said. All of a sudden the SOA are a fucking court of law now? And the crucifix thing. I mean, who DIDN'T see some shit like that coming? You had to know he was going to hurt SOMEONE with it. Plus I thought his little quote of ''Sons Live, Redwood Bleeds'' was fucking convuluted and stupid. I realize that otto has done a lot of shit for the club and lost ALOT, but he's never really portrayed as so vindictive and hateful. Same with Jax and Tara. Both just becoming straight hateful. I can't believe she woke up the fucking baby because she was ''bored'' I guess. At the end of last season and beginning of this one, I felt kind of bad for Tara, now I'm losing pretty much all feeling for her other than hating the bitch. Also, in line with something else Chick said, are we supposed to believe that Tara made it through fucking medical school and is now a surgeon? I mean she fucking saves the lives of infants. She was always meant to be perceived as intelligent but also caring and thoughtful about her own actions as well as the actions of those around her. Now they've raped that version, and replaced it with a weed smoking, criminal loving, ass beating just overall hateful and stupid white trash bitch. And they act like we're supposed to be dumb enough at this point with all the character changes, not just Tara, to watch and be like ''Oh man that's great, deep writing derp''. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This show is no longer really an example or good writing/storytelling. It's some asshole named Kurt Sutter making shit up as he goes, forgetting about or almost totally discounting the events of previous seasons as well as the previous perceptions of several well loved characters, and just seeing how far he can push his audience until we completely suspend disbelief and just shovel it down like he obviously wants us to. I'm really starting to agree that this piece of shit show has jumped the shark. And I HATE saying that because this USED to be one of the best shows on TV, up there with Breaking Bad for me at least in terms of enjoyment/anticipation. As chick said above me, the finale better have a really fucking good pay off and make some serious fucking logical sense. Otherwise I am done being treated like an idiot by Kurt Sutter for another very hyped but ultimately lame/ridiculous season. And Clay better fucking die.

bright lights, big city

Sons live, redwoods bleed - so the RICO case will be gone, but now new problems will rise that could kill the club (or Jax/Tara).
DERP

chick de la lynch

So I guess this means more Otto? Or Tara is seriously fucked when it comes time to accept that job offer or she gets her license taken away.

Tara was never really a favorite character of mine, but I did have respect for her and didn't think she was a character that deserved so much hate. Now, though...yeah, I'm not very fond of her. She and Jax have let the power get to their heads and neither one is thinking properly. It's annoying.

I wonder if Sutter is bringing the plot all over the place because he has now realized he will never win awards and be adored by critics like Mad Men? I know he has complained about this in the past and even talked shit about Matthew Weiner because of it. I'm curious if there is a direct correlation.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Nov 17, 2012, 09:51 PM
Tara was never really a favorite character of mine, but I did have respect for her melons.
fixed. i've let my attraction for her get in the way for years, but now i'm realizing her character is pretty crappy. nowhere near as bad as Lori was though.
DERP

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 17, 2012, 10:11 PM
Quote from: chick de la lynch on Nov 17, 2012, 09:51 PM
Tara was never really a favorite character of mine, but I did have respect for her melons.
fixed. i've let my attraction for her get in the way for years, but now i'm realizing her character is pretty crappy. nowhere near as bad as Lori was though.

Aren't you funny?

I seriously never notice another woman's boobs unless they are abnormally gigantic. My brother is always pointing out other women's boobs to me and I always say something along the lines of "I didn't notice. I wasn't looking at her chest". Ah, men. They're interesting creatures!