Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N0S3BLEED976

Never knew Scott Weiland sang on RX Queen. I've listened to this song  hundreds of times and never realized the harmonized vocal part during the chorus wasn't Chino as well. Rest in piece, Scott.

HooiserBowhunter

Im sure this has been posted on here previously since all you guys are super on it, but just in case no one saw it. Starting to get super pumped for the new cd. Hoping they release a single here soon to hold me over.

https://www.instagram.com/p/z4LlmeLgPTV5EIG5M-gyTPmPOmD-41yYuGyi40/

ZND84

Nick Diaz and Ronda Rousey listening to Deftones - Some People at six minute mark. Diaz  has used Root, Diamond Eyes, and Feiticeira as entrance songs. The fact that it's Some People made it interesting to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSCd16orlsw     

buddyboy101

Quote from: ZND84 on Dec 22, 2015, 06:02 PM
Nick Diaz and Ronda Rousey listening to Deftones - Some People at six minute mark. Diaz  has used Root, Diamond Eyes, and Feiticeira as entrance songs. The fact that it's Some People made it interesting to me.

ha amazing, good find

people are people

Quote from: ZND84 on Dec 22, 2015, 06:02 PM

Yeah, he's a massive Deftones fan, funny Nick Diaz subbed my deftones channel!

Hinojos

You wouldn't think so, but I wonder if he's lurked on SharingLungs before haha.

ZND84

That's pretty cool he subscribed to your channel. i don't know maybe he does stop by sharinglungs.

snw9

Korn partially covering a part of Bored back in 1996!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82BDMvx4yNw
Code: [Select]

cvthedrv

illthrowROCKS@U

9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

cvthedrv

wheresmysnare

It dawned on me the other day that although i am by most accounts a big deftones fan, now that im 32 it's pretty much only white pony that i can honestly say has stuck with me.

The last few albums, culmintating in koi no yokan just seem like a damp squib to me, it's as if their main objective has become to maintain their careers (which i can understand).

It feels to me like Chino has saved his creative energy for his forward thinking side projects like team sleep, palms, crosses. He now just see's deftones as a means paying the bills as far as i can see, playing the role of chino from the deftones and throwing in a few screams here and there to keep it all familiar.

I think it was David Bowie passing that made me think about this, his blackstar album was far more layered, creative and daring than anything Deftones have created in recent years and the guy was 69 years old. I appreciate he didn't have much to loose financially due to his terminal illness, however he certainly put his legacy at risk by making an obscure jazz driven album.

The last risk deftones took was white pony (alienating nu-metal fan base) and then going heavier on self titled at a time where bands were reigning it in. Since then, it's all felt a bit like they are trying to blend into the middle ground.

No doubt that when the new album hits it's going to be more of the same but I hope they can write something that stops people in their tracks, rather than another reasonably well charting but ultimately pedestrian alt rock/metal album.

I also don't think Sergio Vega has helped, he gives me the impression that he's still just happy to be there, where as Chi may have had more balls to challenege the creative authenticity of what they are pumping out.

Anyway...

Penicks

strange that you're eluding saturday night wrist, probably their most experimental album. i mean come on, pink cellphone? a full instrumental song? insanity in rats? trippy mein as a single? really big contrast compared to the last two albums

hoping that this slow and laid-back recording approach of the new album will result in something that is enjoyable to hear

god damn it diamond eyes sucks dick

DeftonesNZ

I think his side projects aren't comparable because it's a different situation, a lot of the time he gets given the material from his band mates and writes mainly lyrics, for palms at least he said he gets given the complete music and just adds his vocals and I'd say with his other projects he's not fully involved with the development like he is with Deftones, it seems like when he's busy the rest of crosses and teamsleep work together and come to him with pretty well formed song ideas which he then fiddles around with, so I don't think the interesting elements of his side projects can be credited to him but more the other band members.

I see what you're saying but I respect them since they still are doing their own thing, also we have to remember the White Pony diversion in sound was a result of the music industry at the time, they were being lumped into a category that they hated and made a conscious effort to seperate themselves but now they have broken free of that and have kind of earned the reputation for being their own entity they don't force themselves into going against the grain they just go into the studio and work on whatever they're digging which I think results in progression still but a slower progression.

wheresmysnare

Quote from: Penicks on Jan 16, 2016, 11:46 AM
strange that you're eluding saturday night wrist, probably their most experimental album. i mean come on, pink cellphone? a full instrumental song? insanity in rats? trippy mein as a single? really big contrast compared to the last two albums

hoping that this slow and laid-back recording approach of the new album will result in something that is enjoyable to hear

i class SNW as a mess really - i don't think it was intentional, i just think the broken recording process resulted in load of misguided content being produced, which i suppose when viewed philisophically you could argue has it's own merits.

The bulk of my dissapointment stands at the doors of DE and KNY

wheresmysnare

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jan 16, 2016, 11:57 AM
I think his side projects aren't comparable because it's a different situation, a lot of the time he gets given the material from his band mates and writes mainly lyrics, for palms at least he said he gets given the complete music and just adds his vocals and I'd say with his other projects he's not fully involved with the development like he is with Deftones, it seems like when he's busy the rest of crosses and teamsleep work together and come to him with pretty well formed song ideas which he then fiddles around with, so I don't think the interesting elements of his side projects can be credited to him but more the other band members.

I see what you're saying but I respect them since they still are doing their own thing, also we have to remember the White Pony diversion in sound was a result of the music industry at the time, they were being lumped into a category that they hated and made a conscious effort to seperate themselves but now they have broken free of that and have kind of earned the reputation for being their own entity they don't force themselves into going against the grain they just go into the studio and work on whatever they're digging which I think results in progression still but a slower progression.

Hmm i still think he shows more creative flair in his side projects but has learned to keep deftones simmering over as a practical necessity.

I just hope him saying the new record is dreary in parts is not a freudian slip.

I will still be buying the record, i'm just staying off the hype train this time round and quitely hoping to hear something challenging.

snw9

Quote from: Penicks on Jan 16, 2016, 11:46 AM

As mentioned by Chino, the new album is quite heady, maybe even more than SNW? I appreciate SNW for what it is creatively, it is something fresh for the fans after the Self-titled record. I hope some of the SNW style finds its way on this record.
Code: [Select]

thewanderer

Sometimes I hear certain sounds, and they make my dick really fucking hard.........

BillyNo.9

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Jan 16, 2016, 11:59 AM
The bulk of my dissapointment stands at the doors of DE and KNY

Same.