Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSeptember

illthrowROCKS@U

I've always enjoyed Xerces while in the act.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

aeroplume

cds suck. vinyl is the way to go. just completed my deftones album collection today.

Sicario

Just found this video. Not sure if many have seen it yet. My question basically is whether or not this is Chino singing well or not. Also, if its good or bad is this how he usually sounds? Sounds good to me but  I have never seen them live and I am just trying to get an idea of how they typically sound.
Deftones - Bloody Cape live @ Volkshaus, Zurich, June 23rd 2010
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

pinkmaggit69

yes.....he sounds good.. he doesn't sound bad, but also not amazing.  good.......very good.

Drinks won't stain this birth!

Vesanic

This is actually a decent performance. This is what you would call a bad performance:

Deftones - Bloody Cape (Pinkpop 2006)

But even though Chino is not as on key on the chorus as on the video you've mentionned, I very much prefer this live version, the screams are fucking sick:

Deftones - Bloody Cape [Monsterous performance] live @ Download Festival, May 31st 2003

pinkmaggit

The video at the top of the page is actually one of their better performances technically.
Chino's voice sounds great (and that's not an easy song to sing either) and the band sounds tight.
However that's not always how you define a good performance - a good performance is one that really connects with the audience.
One of my favourite performances of 'Bloody Cape' and actually one of my favourite performances ever of any song by any band is the one below.
Technically it's inferior  and Chino's voice doesn't sound as good as in the one above but the anger, the chaos, the feeling and the energy that go into it make it great in my eyes.
Chino sounds like he really means every word he's singing:

Deftones - Bloody Cape(Live)

Penicks

i think you have to split up his performances by era

like, every era has its live gems, but you can't really compare them to each other because his voice changes pretty drastically with every new album

jbmp1390

He's been sounding pretty damn good since they started touring for DE. I think the whole band is sounding pretty fucking tight. Seems like his voice has been better since this album than it has been for the last few years. Seems like they're working harder though, more serious about what they're doing.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

cEvin Key

In general the performance is a good one for bloody cape. but there is no energy. it's a very boring deftones performance... I've seen performances where chino sounded worse but the energy was so much it made up for him not sounding as good as this. if I have to be honest last time I saw them live chino sounded as good as this but with much more energy. from some videos i saw chino can do way better than this performance in terms of energy. I would say you should expect this but with more energy, but even the best band in the world have bad days. don't expect to catch a performance like they had back in the day but unless you are unlucky you will be more than very satisfied with a average deftones show,

pinkmaggit

Chino's voice is sounding really good lately - definitely right up there with the best it's ever been.
It's better than it was 10 years ago this time.
His voice sounded terrible in 2001 - their performance in Hawaii was maybe the worst I've heard Chino sound.
Ok it was around the time he paralized his vocal chord but still it's pretty cool to be able to say that my favourite band sounds better than they did 10 years ago!
Chino's obviously learned some techniques to look after his voice - he was really giving it a lot of abuse around 2000 but since then he's obviously learned how to look after it and it's lasted amazingly well, especially considering all the screaming he does.
I think techniques like inhaled screams allow him to do this

Sicario

Is it also true that he was notorious for not being sober while on stage back in the day? I think that would probably deter from the experience. I've been to concerts where the lead singer was fucked up on a lot of shit and the performance was awful. I felt cheated out of my money actually. Have any of you had that happen with them?
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

jbmp1390

Quote from: Heisenberg on Dec 12, 2011, 04:01 AM
Is it also true that he was notorious for not being sober while on stage back in the day? I think that would probably deter from the experience. I've been to concerts where the lead singer was fucked up on a lot of shit and the performance was awful. I felt cheated out of my money actually. Have any of you had that happen with them?
That's also true. I know that up until around SNW he was doing a lot of shit. As far as I know, he just smokes a lot of weed now, which still isn't great but that's his perogative. At least he isn't doing the speed and coke anymore.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

deftoolsys07

I just thought of the best one,

No Ordinary Love

Period.
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

Penicks

The most fucked up Deftones concert in the history - Headup [1/9]

Northcal

Quote from: Penicks on Dec 12, 2011, 09:10 AM

The most fucked up Deftones concert in the history - Headup [1/9]
chino was  kinda  fuckked up at my very first tones concert.off key and drunkk as a pirate back in 7.2.07

Northcal