Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bifrost

Deftones going mainstream? its just not gonna happen, it would have happened by now... their sound will never be that popular to most people, mainly because of Chino's voice, most people dont get it... they are a tweener band, not metal enough for some, too dark and heavy for others (but thats what I love about them)

I think when people say they are going mainstream they mean they are continuing to go away from Adrenaline/ATF towards SNW/DE... but that's the progression (its been a steady one) I am not sure why anyone would be surprised at this point

Bifrost

Quote from: DarkKnight85 on Nov 06, 2012, 07:16 PM
Quote from: kckondor on Nov 06, 2012, 07:12 PM
Quote from: CliptheApex on Nov 06, 2012, 06:55 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 06, 2012, 06:50 PM
[spoiler]It depends, actually. Some of them take too much time to build to be seen as radio-friendly but the overall vibe is, to me. My favorite is probably Tempest. Most of them are really predictable (Rosemary ending is blank as fuck), Tempest isn't, I think.[/spoiler]

Tempest really? I hate that song. Its terrible. Im am actually liking your review because I feel that I will love it as you seem to be bored by it. If this is a slower more melodic Deftones then color me happy.

Me too, from what I've gathered about Ves and his opinion on there music, his negativity has me excited.  I almost never listen to any modern radio so I have no idea what is mainstream now, but I can't imagine that Deftones would ever be considered mainstream.

Im sure if White pony were released today people would shit all over it

guaranteed...

Mustang

Quote from: Bifrost on Nov 06, 2012, 07:19 PM
Deftones going mainstream? its just not gonna happen, it would have happened by now... their sound will never be that popular to most people, mainly because of Chino's voice, most people dont get it... they are a tweener band, not metal enough for some, too dark and heavy for others (but thats what I love about them)

I think when people say they are going mainstream they mean they are continuing to go away from Adrenaline/ATF towards SNW/DE... but that's the progression (its been a steady one) I am not sure why anyone would be surprised at this point

I agree. I don't think Ves means it as "they're changing into pop/mainstream Lady Gaga music" but it's just that their newer music (SNW and DE progression has proved) is much more accessible for other audiences besides the heavy crowd, and that's not a bad thing at all. Unfortunately some fans see it as an embarassment... lol. I actually love when Deftones start to slightly become conventional here and there. When they do, it's not in vein of Linkin Park because it's still actually good music. I guess it's why SNW/DE gets a lotta hate around here...

Vesanic

Quote from: Mustang on Nov 06, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hey Ves, just curious... What's your favorite Deftones album?

My favorite is White Pony. But I think their best album is Around the Fur.

BallZDeeP

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 06, 2012, 07:24 PM

well put

Usurper

Quote from: Mustang on Nov 06, 2012, 07:23 PM

I agree. I don't think Ves means it as "they're changing into pop/mainstream Lady Gaga music" but it's just that their newer music (SNW and DE progression has proved) is much more accessible for other audiences besides the heavy crowd, and that's not a bad thing at all. Unfortunately some fans see it as an embarassment... lol. I actually love when Deftones start to slightly become conventional here and there. When they do, it's not in vein of Linkin Park because it's still actually good music. I guess it's why SNW/DE gets a lotta hate around here...

KNY is decidedly a much less heavy direction for deftones, even more so than DE was.  Fans will love it or hate it.  I believe most will love it.  Many will find it jarring and will need to soak it up for a while and let it marinate.
-[usurper]-

gui

my body is ready.

Or should i say ears.

Mustang

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 06, 2012, 07:24 PM

Awesome. Appreciate your feedback. I'm actually more excited for this now, for some reason. And no Deftones album can be given a rating on first listen. Gotta let it soak in (fun fact: Hated WP on first listen. Now it's my favorite album ever. lol)

Mustang

Quote from: Usurper on Nov 06, 2012, 07:26 PM
Quote from: Mustang on Nov 06, 2012, 07:23 PM

KNY is decidedly a much less heavy direction for deftones, even more so than DE was.  Fans will love it or hate it.  I believe most will love it.  Many will find it jarring and will need to soak it up for a while and let it marinate.

I'm a big fan of their less heavier sound, so something tells me I'm gonna like this album.

CliptheApex

Quote from: gui on Nov 06, 2012, 07:27 PM
my body is ready.

Or should i say ears.

Ive been lathered up for days and days  :-* Damn it all.

sir madrid

Is there any good Koi No Yokan desktop hd wallpapers out there ?

Pony#1

White Pony is and will always be the most mainstream album they've ever done.  That record started the turmoil in the band which very evident in Entertain Me.  It's also extremely boring album to listen to all the way through.  Obviously I despise that record outside of a few tracks

Vesanic

Quote from: Pony#1 on Nov 06, 2012, 07:35 PM
White Pony is and will always be the most mainstream album they've ever done.  That record started the turmoil in the band which very evident in Entertain Me.  It's also extremely boring album to listen to all the way through.  Obviously I despise that record outside of a few tracks

Nice nickname, by the way.

Bifrost

kind of ironic then your name is Pony#1 lol

girothegod

well i might be a noob to this forum, but how is goon squad sounding :)?

Inkblades

No way. Obviously WP is not as heavy as Adrenaline and ATF, but it is way darker than Adrenaline, SNW and Diamond Eyes.

deftoner664

Quote from: Bifrost on Nov 06, 2012, 07:37 PM

Lmao.. Yeah that was the most ironic thing i've ever seen on this board...
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

xToxin

I don't like Nick Raskulinecz.

Pony#1

Quote from: Bifrost on Nov 06, 2012, 07:37 PM

Lol ya.  Don't get me wrong, that album has some of my favorite tracks from the band but as whole my least favorite.  Pony#1 came from the Sevendust linear notes after Chino guested on "bender" and a rumor got started he changed his name

BallZDeeP

you should unlock KNY thread Ves ;)