Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: deftoner664 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:53 PM
Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
Quote from: deftoner664 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
Does anyone agree with me that Deftones need to do a double album at some point in their career? Maybe the final one?
they need a fucking new official dvd
yes indeed. I want a legit dvd, with performances, backstage footage, interviews, maybe some footage of them dicking around in the cities they play in.. shit like that.

This too.. It's long over due

Yeah, and the Beauty School video proves that OBVIOUSLY they got folks following them around filming them and shit. That video was just compiled from tour footage..

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

kckondor

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:53 PM
Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
Does anyone agree with me that Deftones need to do a double album at some point in their career? Maybe the final one?
they need a fucking new official dvd
yes indeed. I want a legit dvd, with performances, backstage footage, interviews, maybe some footage of them dicking around in the cities they play in.. shit like that.

Agreed.  Its baffling to me that they've never put out any kind of official live material.  I want a Deftones version of Pantera's 3:Watch it Go

BallZDeeP

Familia peeps cant get their hands on this before us ( even though some of us are Familia too )

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: BallZDeeP on Nov 06, 2012, 08:56 PM
Familia peeps cant get their hands on this before us

DATS what I'm sayin'

NicholasHume

Just as long as someone gets it soon!

Mustang

kckondor

Quote from: Mustang on Nov 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
Quote from: kckondor on Nov 06, 2012, 08:45 PM
Wouldn't you consider White Pony to be their most commercial as it is their best selling album?  For me the transition from ATF to WP was extremely jarring and I just could not get into it for awhile.  It was only after S/T came out that I realized what a great record it is. 

I can't ever decide how to rank their albums.  I never know where to put adrenaline.  It holds a special place as the first album, but unlike so many other bands, Deftones managed to exceed that first album multiple times. 

Oddly I feel like White Pony is the most realized version of their current sound.  ATF stands out to me because it seems to be in a class by itself.  With S/T and SNW, I think they were trying to capture the essence of both records (ATF and WP) and as a result both those albums are somewhat disjointed in my opinion.  DE was a good step in the direction of a cohesive album but still feels like it was lacking something.  I'm hoping that KNY will join ATF and WP at the top.

I feel it... But Deftones have always been somewhat of a polarizing band in terms of a signature sound. You can't really say this album "sounds like Deftones" or this album "doesn't sound like Deftones" but that's what makes them different and great. WP/ATF might be the closest they've ever come to a fully realized sound, but that's not to discredit the albums to follow either. Each are unique and distinctive... Adrenaline: Raw, hard-edged... ATF: Heavy... WP: Smooth... S/T: Dark... SNW: Diverse... DE: Clean-cut... Seems like KNY is going for a glossier, more anthemic sound, and that is something I can appreciate.

I think you are completely right.  That's probably why I have a hard time ranking them.  I like them all in their own way, but because each record is so different its hard to make a lot of blanket statements about which one is better.  Everyone has their favorites for sure

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: NicholasHume on Nov 06, 2012, 08:59 PM
Just as long as someone gets it soon!

Yeah, this is true. As long as someone who is nice enough to share with us.. I don't care about it going up on torrents.
I just want someone to give us the download here lol

Bifrost

I really feel like the deftones wont release Eros unless Chi passes or comes back... and I have a feeling a lot of people are gonna be disappointed in it... the deftones were in a real weird point for a lot of years between ST and SNW through to Eros, the accident with Chi was a big loss but the addition of sergio also really galvanized them Chino especially it seems, you could see he physically transformed himself and was re-energized

I don't ever see them doing a double disc release unless Eros is one half of it, they dont write that many songs in studio typically to do something like that

UrZ*

Quote from: shoop on Nov 06, 2012, 08:55 PM
Quote from: UrZ* on Nov 06, 2012, 08:50 PM
Quote from: shoop on Nov 06, 2012, 08:45 PM
Quote from: UrZ* on Nov 06, 2012, 08:39 PM
Quote from: shoop on Nov 06, 2012, 08:38 PM
Quote from: Mustang on Nov 06, 2012, 08:36 PM
I'm high right now. It's like freaking 300 degrees outside, and it's 10PM... I'm in my boxers and tank shirt... Room is full of smoke. Let's get this album rolling.
man you're lucky.. i ran out and anxiety is killin me.. this shit aint helpin.

nice kit u got there? what is it? tama? sonor?
Tama!

Nice, rocking Zildjians on top? :)
You bet ;)  A Custom Projection 19 & 20" crashes for now.. too bad they sound damn near identical.

Good stuff :) i'm more of a Paiste man ;-)
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

shoop

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: Bifrost on Nov 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
I really feel like the deftones wont release Eros unless Chi passes or comes back... and I have a feeling a lot of people are gonna be disappointed in it... the deftones were in a real weird point for a lot of years between ST and SNW through to Eros, the accident with Chi was a big loss but the addition of sergio also really galvanized them Chino especially it seems, you could see he physically transformed himself and was re-energized

I don't ever see them doing a double disc release unless Eros is one half of it, they dont write that many songs in studio typically to do something like that

I feel like they'll release Eros in the future, but not tour on it..
It'll just be a special release for the fans and anyone interested.
I remember at the time they were about to release it, or finishing the record up - they all seemed pretty positive about it though. If my memory serves me correctly, they said it was some dark heavy shit.

Pony#1

Quote from: Jacob on Nov 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
Quote from: Pony#1 on Nov 06, 2012, 07:35 PM
White Pony is and will always be the most mainstream album they've ever done.  That record started the turmoil in the band which very evident in Entertain Me.  It's also extremely boring album to listen to all the way through.  Obviously I despise that record outside of a few tracks

I respectfully disagree. I don't see at all what's mainstream about WP, in the context of their previous albums. Deftones will always be sort of mainstream though, so it kinda depends on the context and what meaning you put into "mainstream". but in my opinion, WP is their one album that sounds the least like anything else I've ever heard. it's the album that has the least catchy songs. and it's the album that has them experimenting the most with new sounds. so out of curiosity, I wonder why you think it's their most mainstream?
I'll think it's the most mainstream because of what Adrenaline and ATF sounded like in comparison to it and were the only other albums to compare it to at the time.  Besides the fact it's their biggest selling album and received the most radio/tv play songs like Change, Digital Bath, Teenager, RX Queen, and Passenger are all single worthy.  The heavy tracks outside of Korea which I'll say are only Street Carp and Elite are pretty repetitive and easy to digest.  This album also had some extreme marketing behind it, I got 4 different versions of this album and a promo VHS EPK were they play in some apocalyptic wasteland.  I can't remember them doing that with any other album besides White Pony.  With that said,  Digital Bath, Korea and Pink Maggit are 3 of my all time favorite Deftones songs 

Pndi

Quote from: rageman02uk on Nov 06, 2012, 08:55 PM

I wouldnt be against the idea at all, in fact two of my fave albums are double LPs in Nine Inch Nails - Fragile and Wu Tangs - Forever, and looking forward to Biffy Clyros double cd due in January.

BUT i know some people didnt like the two albums mentioned above because of "Filler" tracks, IMO i thought they were excellent, and as someone posted above, More 'Tones the better

that one is the only double album i really love front to back. even Baroness can't pull it off well :/

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: Pndi on Nov 06, 2012, 09:04 PM

I wouldnt be against the idea at all, in fact two of my fave albums are double LPs in Nine Inch Nails - Fragile and Wu Tangs - Forever, and looking forward to Biffy Clyros double cd due in January.

BUT i know some people didnt like the two albums mentioned above because of "Filler" tracks, IMO i thought they were excellent, and as someone posted above, More 'Tones the better

that one is the only double album i really love front to back. even Baroness can't pull it off well :/
Yeeeah.. that new Baroness album is very hit or miss.

deftone702

Have any more photos from the 13 witness shoot surface or anywhere on their site?  I am curious since the trailor came out if anyone knows.

Thanks.

deftoner664

Even if the other disk was Eros, that would be awesome.... They should really think about that... Especially if they're trying to give a percentage of their earnings towards the benefit of Chi's health. Releasing a double, with Eros would increase the sales for sure.. Even making a live dvd would help them out... They need to stop relying on just touring, and spend some time off the road for a few years to do something big before they end their careers together as a band. I'm just really curious as to what their next move is after Koi No Yokan is old news.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Drummerboy_123

Quote from: Pndi on Nov 06, 2012, 09:04 PM

Someone who speaks my language!

I personally find double-albums too overwhelming, one of the only ones I've been able to get into is Hammocks new album (which is over 2 hours long)

Everyone kept telling me to try Baroness and I just couldn't get into them unfortunately  :(
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

Drummerboy_123

Quote from: deftoner664 on Nov 06, 2012, 09:07 PM

Even if the other disk was Eros, that would be awesome.... They should really think about that... Especially if they're trying to give a percentage of their earnings towards the benefit of Chi's health. Releasing a double, with Eros would increase the sales for sure.. Even making a live dvd would help them out... They need to stop relying on just touring, and spend some time off the road for a few years to do something big before they end their careers together as a band. I'm just really curious as to what their next move is after Koi No Yokan is old news.

Because Eros is apparently really dark, if they were going to do a double LP they should have the other CD be happy and uplifitng. Be quite cool IMO. And would make for a diverse listening experience too!
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

DAFTPUNK87

I agree.. but something tells me it's going to be forever and a day before we get to hear Eros.
Unless somehow it gets leaked onto the interwebs (which is obviously highly unlikely)