Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

First impressions:

1. Swerve City - 5/5 - Melodic and heavy all at once. Chino does some things vocally here that he has never done before. Love the guitars at the end. Great way to open the album.
2. Romantic Dreams - 3/5 - Definitely like nothing they have ever done before. Not sure how I really feel about it, though.
3. Leathers - 4/5 - A fun track that grew on me a lot. The verses are probably the heaviest moment on the album. I find the chorus melodic and a little grating at the same time. I think I'd like it better if Chino just WGTB'd the whole track, though.
4. Poltergeist - 5/5 - Loved this from the very time I heard the live version. Break down is sickness and the chorus sounds like something off of Adrenaline or ATF.
5. Entombed - 4/5 - Pretty song. Chino's voice sounds great. Wish it had more of a build? 
6. Graphic Nature - 3.5/5 - I like the weird, sour mood of it, but its a little repetitive. "Everytime you do it"...are you talking about how many times you sing that over and over again, Chogo? Still, cool track.
7. Tempest - 4/5 - I've struggled with this track for a while. There are no doubt many awesome elements to it, but I had some problems with it. I still think Chino's vocals on the verses after the guitars kick in are annoyingly high pitched. And it still just kind of drags along to me. But I love the chorus.
8. Gauze - 5/5 - Awesome, beautiful track. Love, love, love the chorus. Gives me that "I'm floating on clouds" vibe that so many great Deftones songs have before it. When the song switches up at the end, I kind of wish it would just keep going on. Heh.
9. Rosemary - 5/5 - I think this is the song that most sounds like a "classic" Deftones song. Sounds like it would have fit on S/T nicely.
10. Goon Squad - 4.5/5 - Whoa, dark and moody way start to this track. I was actually driving around while it was snowing and turning into night listening to it for the first time. Quite surreal. Then it turns into a grungy version of Combat. Me likes.
11. What Happened to You - 3/5 - I like Chino's vocals on this one, but the actual music is a little bland. For an album with so many epic sounds, I was hoping for a more epic closer. Maybe Rosemary should have closed?

4/5

stu_101

Bring back Terry Date.
On first listen, I'm really not digging this.
A few great tracks but massively lacks aggression.
Feels very mainstream.

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

xToxin

The ending totally owns the first half

iceache

NicholasHume

Could someone hook me up with a link to the 320kpbs version?

Moz

Deadradio

Quote from: Far away on Nov 07, 2012, 09:37 PM
The 30 sec preview of Gauze did not lied to me! HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!

Totally, goosebumps!

DarkKnight85

Just got to Goon Squad and shit a brick.

xToxin

I love the final four tracks. Totally cool. I don't like the first half though, except Leathers.

Amdrag

oh noes...not heavy enough, moar guitars = less lamestream. Deftones have sold out they just make radio friendly tracks this sux white pony forever!!11.

pffft, luddites. This album blew me away, pretty much every track got me, except maybe romantic dreams and graphic nature, but overally amazing album...definitely agree with some people about the grungy nature of the album.

Drummerboy_123

Sad that the anticipation has gone now  :'(

Ah well, will be back in 2 years for another album!
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

deftoner664

Well... Upon first listen this album is easily in my top 3 Deftones albums... The very essence of this album captures everything I love about them.. No fucking joke.. No fanboyism attached... Just my true heart speaking. 
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Mustang

Quote from: Amdrag on Nov 07, 2012, 10:27 PM
oh noes...not heavy enough, moar guitars = less lamestream. Deftones have sold out they just make radio friendly tracks this sux white pony forever!!11.

pffft, luddites. This album blew me away, pretty much every track got me, except maybe romantic dreams and graphic nature, but overally amazing album...definitely agree with some people about the grungy nature of the album.

THIS.

and can someone hook me up with the 320kps? Thanks.

rageman02uk

Ok ok i see what i missed  ::) time to crack open a lager and give this a blast

DarkKnight85

Quote from: deftoner664 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:28 PM
Well... Upon first listen this album is easily in my top 3 Deftones albums... The very essence of this album captures everything I love about them.. No fucking joke.. No fanboyism attached... Just my true heart speaking.

Agreed. Destined to be number 2.

xLhabiax

Original mediafire link that was sent to me earlier isnt working, just tried opening it once i got home, can anyone pm me a fresh one?
We are ok in a misguided Sadist way

elite54

Drummerboy_123

Quote from: Mustang on Nov 07, 2012, 10:30 PM
Quote from: Amdrag on Nov 07, 2012, 10:27 PM

THIS.

and can someone hook me up with the 320kps? Thanks.

Kickass torrents mate. Its on there. Just search "deftones koi no yokan 320kbps"
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

N0S3BLEED976

Alright, first of all I know that I'm a fucking moronic hypocrite, but I caved in and gave the album one listen so far.

Bloody hell, the album is so proggy, I would almost tag it as progressive metal/rock. I love how Stephen's riffs constantly seem to change in tempo and tone in songs like Romantic Dreams, Gauze, Goon Squad and Poltergeist and how every song has a certain twist or surprise. Chino's vocals may be more melodic and less aggressive than they were on Diamond Eyes, but the overall instrumentalization by the band is way heavier. Poltergeist, Goon Squad and Gauze are heavier than anything on Diamond Eyes.

Favorite songs so far:

Romantic Dreams
Goon Squad
What Happened To You? (dat bassline)