Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neirda

PUTAIIIIIIN, that guitar sound on poltergeist verse

Highdust

KNY Thread is unlocked guys and gals :)

shoop

the 320 is a transcode just so you all know.. I just got here so i'm sure it's been said already but just in case. If anyone gets a real 320, please pm :)  Last but not least, BUY THIS FUCKING ALBUM!

Adrenaline951

sweet mother of fucks the last breakdown in Goon Squad just melted my fucking face off

dat riff when Stef starts shredding the octaves with the low string............. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOWOWOW.

jujuslim

Inkblades

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:33 PM
Chino's vocals may be more melodic and less aggressive than it was on Diamond Eyes, but the overall instrumentalization by the band is way heavier.

I agree 100% percent.

Mustang

Quote from: Drummerboy_123 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:32 PM
Quote from: Mustang on Nov 07, 2012, 10:30 PM
Quote from: Amdrag on Nov 07, 2012, 10:27 PM
oh noes...not heavy enough, moar guitars = less lamestream. Deftones have sold out they just make radio friendly tracks this sux white pony forever!!11.

pffft, luddites. This album blew me away, pretty much every track got me, except maybe romantic dreams and graphic nature, but overally amazing album...definitely agree with some people about the grungy nature of the album.

THIS.

and can someone hook me up with the 320kps? Thanks.

Kickass torrents mate. Its on there. Just search "deftones koi no yokan 320kbps"

Thanks!

The Chauffer

CANT. STOP. BOBBING. HEAD. AND. DANCING.

Drummerboy_123

See you guys over in the KNY thread  ;D
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

Pndi

Quote from: neirda on Nov 07, 2012, 10:33 PM
PUTAIIIIIIN, that guitar sound on poltergeist verse
oula, du calme du calme  ;D i haven't got the chance to hear it yet (i'm on my phone) but i remember hearing some 976-Evil like chorus on a snippet. is the whole song really similar to it ?

edit : well wrong thread

whipsy77

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
Quote from: whipsy77 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:03 PM
Quote from: Moz on Nov 07, 2012, 09:57 PM
Goon Squad became my favourite.

Yep, Killer track, soft intro then just jumps out from behind a tree and smashes you in the face... love it
I love how that outro from Rosemary flows straight into Goon Squad. Fucking bad ass!
The whole album just flows so beautifully from one track to another.
Makes me wish I never listened to Tempest/Leathers/Rosemary beforehand.

Fuck yeah, they way the 2 blend into eachother is awesome...

MuffBiscuits

Really can't see the whole 'mainstream' thing I keep seeing being thrown around in regards to KNY. To my ears this is the proggiest, most layered thing they've done since WP.

TheShade1989

Oh, shit, look what I missed ^_^ how did the leak come about?

kurtone

Quote from: TheShade1989 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:49 PM
Oh, shit, look what I missed ^_^ how did the leak come about?

some brave soldier put it on tumblr and it spread like wildfire

Mustang

Quote from: MuffBiscuits on Nov 07, 2012, 10:45 PM
Really can't see the whole 'mainstream' thing I keep seeing being thrown around in regards to KNY. To my ears this is the proggiest, most layered thing they've done since WP.

True. I don't see anything remotely mainstream about it either... And even if it is, it sure as hell blows 99% of everything else considered "mainstream" out of the water.

M1GHTY M4VS

Quote from: M1GHTY M4VSSwerve City - reminds me of "the years" with stef
Romantic Dreams - not so much of a fan, doesn't seem so outstanding.
Leathers - alright but not hyper like it was at the beginning.
Poltergeist - probably one of the best on the record, unfortunately the singing seems weird will grow over time I think.
Entombed - probably better than what the 30 second snippet overall.
Graphic Nature - such a deep darkish feeling, seems to be my favourite on this record.
Tempest - great better than leathers top 4 on this eventually.
Gauze - gonna be decent in full probably.
Rosemary - indeed not as big a fan as everyone else... still a sweet song, it's spacey but predictable.
Goon Squad - again darkish need to hear full to judge it appropiate.
What Happened To You - lovely Outro Song better than TPID.

Snippets vs. Full

Swerve City - still pretty much straight but nothing fancy - alright opener I guess.
Romantic Dreams - They used the worst part of the song for the snippet, the rest is exceptionally great.
Leathers - alright but not hyper like it was at the beginning.
Poltergeist -  the singing pretty much SNW like, guitars are better than from the live stuff, the slower tempo was nice with the singing not as rushed as on SNW.
Entombed - Nice Flowing track, instant favourite.
Graphic Nature - It is definitely my favourite of this album, it is dark and has a brilliant vibe to it
Tempest - nice fade in fade outs as the album goes, decent track
Gauze - Pretty track that seemed like a combo of much DE love sequences ending riffs are great I suspected Eros to be the exact Style.
Rosemary - Spacey yes, not as heroic as praised by some, Much Shuffling of Sextape and Xerces
Goon Squad - Beginning was like entering an Alien Ship, then comes the Dark stuff, then high verses and chorus, then sublime added stuff that gives it a quite unique feeling. Approved as good listener, it feels like you knew it all and than comes another part which you wouldn't have thought off. Top 3 definitely.
What Happened To You - It feels like a combination of what many will like and what we heard in the past. Much a like Beauty School and 976-Evil as Hybrid Song. Questioning where's Song Number 12 It is just cut and lacks as a real closure.

Ratings,

Swerve City - 7.5/10 - alright as a short opener, interluder thought it could be forgotten live but it has a quite decent connection to their playstyle so I don't see it beeing Street Carp 2.0 because of the repetitive shortness it gets soon.

2. Romantic Dreams - 8.5/10 - wasn't satisfied with the snippet parts but the rest of the song is quite dynamic and changes are often. Guitar isn't amazing until about half into the song, Abe makes up for the drums tho - way to go Captain. 60% into it gets what many reviews promised but that's just not the full Song.

3. Leathers - 8/10 - Remains a solid song but nothing major.

4. Poltergeist 8.5/10 - Vocals take some getting used to it again - SNW is there yet fresh with the changed Tempo finally another classic fan song, much missed since Headups claps.

5. Entombed - 9/10 - Vibey and a real floater song perfectly fitting, recharger for the Album, this could have been 2005 deftones when they were glued with good mood instead of their nearly disband attitude.

6. Graphic Nature  - 10/10 - anything that was missing since 2004, deep down to sneaky dark stuff.

7. Tempest - 9/10 - Not as heavy and skidding as you may think but it gives the Album quite some depth.

8. Gauze - 7.5 - It just doesn't go well with their attempt of heavy riffs with 30STM Radio chorus, the normal parts are alright. Gets much better when the first Leftout Chino part is on but the beginning to it is just bland - digging it from then on though. Ending is impressive tho so It'll be a growing over time song.

9. Rosemary - 7/10 - It is so commonly that it just seems quite standard - not in a bad way but not in a good either, it just fills when it needs. Lyrics are again oceanic and outer space but I'm a bit tired with this now.

10. Goon Squad 9.5/10 - Very Interchanging and Entertaining once it goes fully loaded, will be cracker live and is among the best they've done since they formed. Again Singing Style is questioned by some that's why  it doesn't get the 10, squeally there you are again, now even on the albums from this day forward.

11. What happened to You - 8/10 - At first I was like Team Sleep where have you been all this time, then it is Team Crosses afterall it is deftones again as you know them, delivering when they have to just the product placement might not be appropiate but the song is subject to gain it's likes much more than some of the DE rarities. They won't pull it out often I predict so get you experience now when they play it on the setlist.

Overall I'd rate it close to DE, tendicious above or below just what you like more - the heavy or the lovely.

Koi No Yokan - 8/10

MuffBiscuits

Quote from: Mustang on Nov 07, 2012, 10:54 PM
Quote from: MuffBiscuits on Nov 07, 2012, 10:45 PM

True. I don't see anything remotely mainstream about it either... And even if it is, it sure as hell blows 99% of everything else considered "mainstream" out of the water.

I guess I can maybe see it in some of the choruses  - I mean Gauze is the most anthemic thing they've ever done! - but definitely not elsewhere in the tracks. Romantic Dreams is weird as fuck!

And yeah, totally agree. If this is mainstream, I want more.

DAFTPUNK87

Koi No Yokan overall impression: This album is lush, beautiful, heavy when it needs to be and very emotional. Each song compliments each other so perfectly. The albums flow is very consistent. Definitely an album that you will listen to as a "whole" rather than skip thru to your favorite tracks; mainly because there aren't any "skip" worthy tracks.

1.Swerve City - This one immediately grabs you right out the gate. It's bouncy, the vocal delivery forces you to sing along. It's a great opener. Short and sweet, to the point. Classic Deftones!
2.Romantic Dreams - This one took a couple of listens. The opening riff is very different from the typical Deftones sound. But it comes on and takes you right away. Chino's vocals are awesome. Very loud and agressive at some times and very emotional at other. I love the song structure of this one a lot. The chorus is very catchy, in the way "Minerva" is.
3. Leathers - This track I immediately fell in love with. It's got that raw guitar riff that Stephen is adored for. The time signature is bad ass. Makes you nod your head.. loving the lyrics and vocal deliver on this one.
4. Poltergeist - Easily one of the heavier tracks. It's a nod to their Around The Fur days. I simply love it. Makes you want to punch someone in the face. The chorus is so haunting, and I love the aggressive drumming. And that guitar riff during the verses, are you kidding?! That shit rocks!!!! Holy Fuck!! (Easily my favorite on the album)
5. Entombed - Alright, this song from the get go gave me chills all over. It's just simply a beautiful song, nice bass interlude from Sergio. Words can't describe this song.. It's that fucking amazing. "Shapes and Colors are all I see.."
6. Graphic Nature - This one is grooving right off the bat. Abe's drumming, the gritty guitar tone, and Chino's haunting vocals.
7. Tempest - This one grew on me, but only after a couple of listens. It seems to be everyone's least favorite, but I think it is a solid track. Especially in the context of the entire album. The chorus is catchy, but it still retains that Deftones vibe. Although, it is a little long, and it does tend to linger for a while. I enjoy it.
8. Gauze - This song is a banger! Also, easily one of the heavier tracks. The guitar riff hooks you immediately and has your head nodding. Chino's vocals on this track, especially right when the chorus kicks in gave me chills. It's very melodic but pounding at the same time.
9. Rosemary - This one impressed me right away. It's definitely one of their best songs to have written. I love everything about it.. the chorus "Stay with me as we cross the empty sky".. so emotional. The outro leads right into the next track perfectly.
10. Goon Squad - Starts off very slow and chill. Frank is very apparent on this track, and it builds up to give way to this monster riff that crashes through the synth. Another solid heavy one that will have you jumping up and down.
11. What Happened to You? - Starts off with a very mathy drum pattern. This track is just as beautiful as "Entombed". Abe's drumming is very obvious on this track, it's mellow with Chino crooning. I love it. Great closing track to a beautiful album. Really rounds everything out.

Over all I have to give this one 4.5/5. The album art really represents the overall mood of this album.
As I have said before, I try to not have any expectations for their albums, because I love everything they make and this album will speak to me. It's a very solid album, I will be enjoying it for years to come.

Just glad all that waiting and refreshing pages wasn't in vein! hehe

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

Mustang

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
Koi No Yokan overall impression: This album is lush, beautiful, heavy when it needs to be and very emotional. Each song compliments each other so perfectly. The albums flow is very consistent. Definitely an album that you will listen to as a "whole" rather than skip thru to your favorite tracks; mainly because there aren't any "skip" worthy tracks.

1.Swerve City - This one immediately grabs you right out the gate. It's bouncy, the vocal delivery forces you to sing along. It's a great opener. Short and sweet, to the point. Classic Deftones!
2.Romantic Dreams - This one took a couple of listens. The opening riff is very different from the typical Deftones sound. But it comes on and takes you right away. Chino's vocals are awesome. Very loud and agressive at some times and very emotional at other. I love the song structure of this one a lot. The chorus is very catchy, in the way "Minerva" is.
3. Leathers - This track I immediately fell in love with. It's got that raw guitar riff that Stephen is adored for. The time signature is bad ass. Makes you nod your head.. loving the lyrics and vocal deliver on this one.
4. Poltergeist - Easily one of the heavier tracks. It's a nod to their Around The Fur days. I simply love it. Makes you want to punch someone in the face. The chorus is so haunting, and I love the aggressive drumming. And that guitar riff during the verses, are you kidding?! That shit rocks!!!! Holy Fuck!! (Easily my favorite on the album)
5. Entombed - Alright, this song from the get go gave me chills all over. It's just simply a beautiful song, nice bass interlude from Sergio. Words can't describe this song.. It's that fucking amazing. "Shapes and Colors are all I see.."
6. Graphic Nature - This one is grooving right off the bat. Abe's drumming, the gritty guitar tone, and Chino's haunting vocals.
7. Tempest - This one grew on me, but only after a couple of listens. It seems to be everyone's least favorite, but I think it is a solid track. Especially in the context of the entire album. The chorus is catchy, but it still retains that Deftones vibe. Although, it is a little long, and it does tend to linger for a while. I enjoy it.
8. Gauze - This song is a banger! Also, easily one of the heavier tracks. The guitar riff hooks you immediately and has your head nodding. Chino's vocals on this track, especially right when the chorus kicks in gave me chills. It's very melodic but pounding at the same time.
9. Rosemary - This one impressed me right away. It's definitely one of their best songs to have written. I love everything about it.. the chorus "Stay with me as we cross the empty sky".. so emotional. The outro leads right into the next track perfectly.
10. Goon Squad - Starts off very slow and chill. Frank is very apparent on this track, and it builds up to give way to this monster riff that crashes through the synth. Another solid heavy one that will have you jumping up and down.
11. What Happened to You? - Starts off with a very mathy drum pattern. This track is just as beautiful as "Entombed". Abe's drumming is very obvious on this track, it's mellow with Chino crooning. I love it. Great closing track to a beautiful album. Really rounds everything out.

Over all I have to give this one 4.5/5. As I have said before, I try to not have any expectations for their albums, because I love everything they make and this album will speak to me. It's a very solid album, I will be enjoying it for years to come.

Just glad all that waiting and refreshing pages wasn't in vein! hehe

Agree with everything! Especially Entombed. It was the biggest surprise on the album for me.

N0S3BLEED976

Romantic Dreams convinced me instantly. Those rolling and constantly changing riffs are superb