Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: Mustang on Nov 07, 2012, 11:04 PM
Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
Koi No Yokan overall impression: This album is lush, beautiful, heavy when it needs to be and very emotional. Each song compliments each other so perfectly. The albums flow is very consistent. Definitely an album that you will listen to as a "whole" rather than skip thru to your favorite tracks; mainly because there aren't any "skip" worthy tracks.

1.Swerve City - This one immediately grabs you right out the gate. It's bouncy, the vocal delivery forces you to sing along. It's a great opener. Short and sweet, to the point. Classic Deftones!
2.Romantic Dreams - This one took a couple of listens. The opening riff is very different from the typical Deftones sound. But it comes on and takes you right away. Chino's vocals are awesome. Very loud and agressive at some times and very emotional at other. I love the song structure of this one a lot. The chorus is very catchy, in the way "Minerva" is.
3. Leathers - This track I immediately fell in love with. It's got that raw guitar riff that Stephen is adored for. The time signature is bad ass. Makes you nod your head.. loving the lyrics and vocal deliver on this one.
4. Poltergeist - Easily one of the heavier tracks. It's a nod to their Around The Fur days. I simply love it. Makes you want to punch someone in the face. The chorus is so haunting, and I love the aggressive drumming. And that guitar riff during the verses, are you kidding?! That shit rocks!!!! Holy Fuck!! (Easily my favorite on the album)
5. Entombed - Alright, this song from the get go gave me chills all over. It's just simply a beautiful song, nice bass interlude from Sergio. Words can't describe this song.. It's that fucking amazing. "Shapes and Colors are all I see.."
6. Graphic Nature - This one is grooving right off the bat. Abe's drumming, the gritty guitar tone, and Chino's haunting vocals.
7. Tempest - This one grew on me, but only after a couple of listens. It seems to be everyone's least favorite, but I think it is a solid track. Especially in the context of the entire album. The chorus is catchy, but it still retains that Deftones vibe. Although, it is a little long, and it does tend to linger for a while. I enjoy it.
8. Gauze - This song is a banger! Also, easily one of the heavier tracks. The guitar riff hooks you immediately and has your head nodding. Chino's vocals on this track, especially right when the chorus kicks in gave me chills. It's very melodic but pounding at the same time.
9. Rosemary - This one impressed me right away. It's definitely one of their best songs to have written. I love everything about it.. the chorus "Stay with me as we cross the empty sky".. so emotional. The outro leads right into the next track perfectly.
10. Goon Squad - Starts off very slow and chill. Frank is very apparent on this track, and it builds up to give way to this monster riff that crashes through the synth. Another solid heavy one that will have you jumping up and down.
11. What Happened to You? - Starts off with a very mathy drum pattern. This track is just as beautiful as "Entombed". Abe's drumming is very obvious on this track, it's mellow with Chino crooning. I love it. Great closing track to a beautiful album. Really rounds everything out.

Over all I have to give this one 4.5/5. As I have said before, I try to not have any expectations for their albums, because I love everything they make and this album will speak to me. It's a very solid album, I will be enjoying it for years to come.

Just glad all that waiting and refreshing pages wasn't in vein! hehe

Agree with everything! Especially Entombed. It was the biggest surprise on the album for me.

Yeah man, this album is great. It has a new sound/tone/feel that I'm just really digging.
Also the album cover really represents the overall feel of the music!

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

DAFTPUNK87

JVell

That fadeout in "Gauze"... HOLY SHIT.

Mustang

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 07, 2012, 11:05 PM
Quote from: Mustang on Nov 07, 2012, 11:04 PM
Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
Koi No Yokan overall impression: This album is lush, beautiful, heavy when it needs to be and very emotional. Each song compliments each other so perfectly. The albums flow is very consistent. Definitely an album that you will listen to as a "whole" rather than skip thru to your favorite tracks; mainly because there aren't any "skip" worthy tracks.

1.Swerve City - This one immediately grabs you right out the gate. It's bouncy, the vocal delivery forces you to sing along. It's a great opener. Short and sweet, to the point. Classic Deftones!
2.Romantic Dreams - This one took a couple of listens. The opening riff is very different from the typical Deftones sound. But it comes on and takes you right away. Chino's vocals are awesome. Very loud and agressive at some times and very emotional at other. I love the song structure of this one a lot. The chorus is very catchy, in the way "Minerva" is.
3. Leathers - This track I immediately fell in love with. It's got that raw guitar riff that Stephen is adored for. The time signature is bad ass. Makes you nod your head.. loving the lyrics and vocal deliver on this one.
4. Poltergeist - Easily one of the heavier tracks. It's a nod to their Around The Fur days. I simply love it. Makes you want to punch someone in the face. The chorus is so haunting, and I love the aggressive drumming. And that guitar riff during the verses, are you kidding?! That shit rocks!!!! Holy Fuck!! (Easily my favorite on the album)
5. Entombed - Alright, this song from the get go gave me chills all over. It's just simply a beautiful song, nice bass interlude from Sergio. Words can't describe this song.. It's that fucking amazing. "Shapes and Colors are all I see.."
6. Graphic Nature - This one is grooving right off the bat. Abe's drumming, the gritty guitar tone, and Chino's haunting vocals.
7. Tempest - This one grew on me, but only after a couple of listens. It seems to be everyone's least favorite, but I think it is a solid track. Especially in the context of the entire album. The chorus is catchy, but it still retains that Deftones vibe. Although, it is a little long, and it does tend to linger for a while. I enjoy it.
8. Gauze - This song is a banger! Also, easily one of the heavier tracks. The guitar riff hooks you immediately and has your head nodding. Chino's vocals on this track, especially right when the chorus kicks in gave me chills. It's very melodic but pounding at the same time.
9. Rosemary - This one impressed me right away. It's definitely one of their best songs to have written. I love everything about it.. the chorus "Stay with me as we cross the empty sky".. so emotional. The outro leads right into the next track perfectly.
10. Goon Squad - Starts off very slow and chill. Frank is very apparent on this track, and it builds up to give way to this monster riff that crashes through the synth. Another solid heavy one that will have you jumping up and down.
11. What Happened to You? - Starts off with a very mathy drum pattern. This track is just as beautiful as "Entombed". Abe's drumming is very obvious on this track, it's mellow with Chino crooning. I love it. Great closing track to a beautiful album. Really rounds everything out.

Over all I have to give this one 4.5/5. As I have said before, I try to not have any expectations for their albums, because I love everything they make and this album will speak to me. It's a very solid album, I will be enjoying it for years to come.

Just glad all that waiting and refreshing pages wasn't in vein! hehe

Agree with everything! Especially Entombed. It was the biggest surprise on the album for me.

Yeah man, this album is great. It has a new sound/tone/feel that I'm just really digging.
Also the album cover really represents the overall feel of the music!

When I listen to Rosemary and Entombed, mostly, that album cover comes alive.

TheShade1989

Swerve City: so much for sounding like Feiticeira haha definitely bouncy, but very light-sounding. Love the halfway point.

Romantic Dreams: the beginning part is...the last thing I'd expect frm Deftones. This was the only one on the previews that didnt sound good to me. But 30 seconds of a song with a lotta tempo changes, vocal changes even, etc., doesnt do it justice. Nice. The vocals (or the effects on them anyways) remind me of ATF/ST I guess, so that's nice. Good song, pleasantly surprised by this.

Leathers: wen I first heard this I almost had a heart attack lol brilliant song, nice atmospheric introduction and just hits you with the aggression.

Poltergeist: love this song. It appealed to me wen I heard the live version, but I didnt play it much because the quality wasnt good enough for me to make an opinion. Album version is just brilliant though, unexpected heaviness.

Entombed: reminds me a lot of Crosses, even how Chino is singing. To me, it feels like a melancholy song, but building up into something happy or looking for some optimism. Love the "shapes and colors are all I see" part, lyrically and how it's sung. Simple but emotional. So much better than I thought it'd be frm listening to it.

Graphic Nature: three seconds in and I'm digging it haha. I'm not sure what tone I get frm this song. Definitely a bit of some darkness or something sinister or playful maybe. Not sure, but I love it, and the drums and whatnot remind me of Digital Bath.

Gauze: loved what I heard in the preview, thinking it'd be a favorite. And it is, but since I adore the entire album (so far) there's not really much in saying that. Anyways, I love it, just a fantastic song.

Rosemary: I dont know, I used to love it, but I think compared to the other songs it's not quite as good, but depends what you're in the mood for.

Goon Squad: I like how it builds up in the beginning and hits you. Another heavy song and surprisingly catchy. That said, not quite as awesome as I thought it'd be. Last minute and a half is great.

What Happened To You?: weird intro, just adds to them yet again doing new things, not just tryna re-create old albums. I think it's a great closer for the album. Cant really explain why, it just feels like it. Love the chorus especially.

I'm not gonna give the album/songs any ratings, because it's new music frm my favorite band: it's gonna be a 10/10 until the hype wears off haha. DE I was thinking was the best album ever, but wen the hype wore off, it was nowhere near as good as I thought it was. This album, however, could easily end up being in my top 3. Much better than DE, more experimental and intricate. Not their heaviest album, no, but not a complaint for me, personally. Dont get anyone thinking it'd be their most commercial or mainstream album. Hell. Fucking. No. DE is only heavier in the sense that it has songs like Royal and CMND/CTRL, whereas KNY only has Leathers in that respect. But man, there's a lotta heaviness going on in these songs, which to me shows they're still doing what they do best, even if they're not as aggressive.

As I predicted listening to the previews; WP feel with the optimism and clean feel of DE, and of course some new aspects. But to me, WP was their "alright, this is us going in a more experimental direction but still being us" frm their previous albums. And for me, KNY is the 2012 version of them doing just that. And no, I'm not calling it a White Pony 2.0, just the same kinda feel I get that it's them being more experimental. Damn, cant wait to see them play some new songs next year. EASILY gonna be in my top 3 even wen the hype wears off.

Jville808

just got back from dinner. still looking for a 320kbps rip, not transcoded from the 160. Did anyone ever come across one?

rock_n_frost

I wanna say how ROMANTIC DREAMS sound like snw BOB ERZIN track x.
Anyone agree with that?

Ps: I wrote here because KOI O YOKAN thread is the worst thread ever.
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Billy Booze

Thanks for the hookup dudz.
It's been a hell of a ride getting here.
Hamburgers.

jonnyboy84

Fuuuck..haven't really had much time to really listen..been workin all day..you folks like?

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: jonnyboy84 on Nov 08, 2012, 01:37 AM
Fuuuck..haven't really had much time to really listen..been workin all day..you folks like?

Yeah, the general consensus is everyone (minus like 2 people love it.)
It's a great album dude, you won't be disappointed.

m1nusblindfoLd

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:00 PM
Gah I don't know what to even think right now.. I almost can't believe I'm listening to the album.. am I dreaming????  ;)

Haha exacty how I feel..it's unreal after all this bullshit and waiting..

thenoiboi

gonna do a track by track myself soon, but i've yet to get a good sit down and listen with this beautiful thing. for now, though, i'll say this. did not let down.

worth the ridiculous level of anticipation. boys, you done good (yet again).
we could be two straight lines in a crooked world.

geraavl08

http://youtu.be/OZwjr494YGY

Not KNY related, Digital bath gets fucked up real bad due to an untuned guitar

lungdamage

Quote from: TheShade1989 on Nov 07, 2012, 11:42 PM
Swerve City: so much for sounding like Feiticeira haha definitely bouncy, but very light-sounding. Love the halfway point.

Romantic Dreams: the beginning part is...the last thing I'd expect frm Deftones. This was the only one on the previews that didnt sound good to me. But 30 seconds of a song with a lotta tempo changes, vocal changes even, etc., doesnt do it justice. Nice. The vocals (or the effects on them anyways) remind me of ATF/ST I guess, so that's nice. Good song, pleasantly surprised by this.

Leathers: wen I first heard this I almost had a heart attack lol brilliant song, nice atmospheric introduction and just hits you with the aggression.

Poltergeist: love this song. It appealed to me wen I heard the live version, but I didnt play it much because the quality wasnt good enough for me to make an opinion. Album version is just brilliant though, unexpected heaviness.

Entombed: reminds me a lot of Crosses, even how Chino is singing. To me, it feels like a melancholy song, but building up into something happy or looking for some optimism. Love the "shapes and colors are all I see" part, lyrically and how it's sung. Simple but emotional. So much better than I thought it'd be frm listening to it.

Graphic Nature: three seconds in and I'm digging it haha. I'm not sure what tone I get frm this song. Definitely a bit of some darkness or something sinister or playful maybe. Not sure, but I love it, and the drums and whatnot remind me of Digital Bath.

Gauze: loved what I heard in the preview, thinking it'd be a favorite. And it is, but since I adore the entire album (so far) there's not really much in saying that. Anyways, I love it, just a fantastic song.

Rosemary: I dont know, I used to love it, but I think compared to the other songs it's not quite as good, but depends what you're in the mood for.

Goon Squad: I like how it builds up in the beginning and hits you. Another heavy song and surprisingly catchy. That said, not quite as awesome as I thought it'd be. Last minute and a half is great.

What Happened To You?: weird intro, just adds to them yet again doing new things, not just tryna re-create old albums. I think it's a great closer for the album. Cant really explain why, it just feels like it. Love the chorus especially.

I'm not gonna give the album/songs any ratings, because it's new music frm my favorite band: it's gonna be a 10/10 until the hype wears off haha. DE I was thinking was the best album ever, but wen the hype wore off, it was nowhere near as good as I thought it was. This album, however, could easily end up being in my top 3. Much better than DE, more experimental and intricate. Not their heaviest album, no, but not a complaint for me, personally. Dont get anyone thinking it'd be their most commercial or mainstream album. Hell. Fucking. No. DE is only heavier in the sense that it has songs like Royal and CMND/CTRL, whereas KNY only has Leathers in that respect. But man, there's a lotta heaviness going on in these songs, which to me shows they're still doing what they do best, even if they're not as aggressive.

As I predicted listening to the previews; WP feel with the optimism and clean feel of DE, and of course some new aspects. But to me, WP was their "alright, this is us going in a more experimental direction but still being us" frm their previous albums. And for me, KNY is the 2012 version of them doing just that. And no, I'm not calling it a White Pony 2.0, just the same kinda feel I get that it's them being more experimental. Damn, cant wait to see them play some new songs next year. EASILY gonna be in my top 3 even wen the hype wears off.

re: romantic dreams, there's no tempo change. i know reviews mentioned it did though

edit: purely from a scientific BPM stand point

Playhouse

Quote from: lungdamage on Nov 08, 2012, 04:57 AM

re: romantic dreams, there's no tempo change. i know reviews mentioned it did though

Yeah its time signature changes. Not tempo

Playhouse

Quote from: Jville808 on Nov 08, 2012, 12:06 AM
just got back from dinner. still looking for a 320kbps rip, not transcoded from the 160. Did anyone ever come across one?
yeah its on Pirate bay. Look it up

lungdamage

lungdamage

Quote from: Playhouse on Nov 08, 2012, 04:58 AM
Quote from: lungdamage on Nov 08, 2012, 04:57 AM

Yeah its time signature changes. Not tempo

i can dig

976-EVIL

One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Vesanic