Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

PALMS [new Chino Moreno side project]

Started by luisch, Apr 25, 2012, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckles

I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

laurapalmer

Alright well, I really didn't care for the song at all after the first listen so I decided to listen to it again about 6 hours later with my good headphones. It certainly comes across much better in this capacity. I still don't love it but the vocals in the verses sound much better and less alienated although the choruses are still a bit strained to me. Instrumentally it's solid. I really hope this vocal mix isn't final. But at this point I'd guess it would have to be.

endstand

After hearing two Palms songs, I'm not a fan of this project. And I agree that Chino vocals on Patagonia are weird.
hello memory lover, you are mine

play

the instrumentation reminds me of Cocteau Twins

bright lights, big city

this project blows and i never want to hear anything else from them. they should just stop what they're doing and burn down ipecac so no one will ever hear the rest of the album.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

Quote from: bright lights, big city on May 01, 2013, 03:54 PM
this project blows and i never want to hear anything else from them. they should just stop what they're doing and burn down ipecac so no one will ever hear the rest of the album.

DeftonesNZ

haha if you're into ambient dream poppy stuff this is actually really good, I expected this from Deftones fans though not as if there's not a huge overlap between Deftones fans and electronic ambient  music fans. I think anyone who like's the genre will like it but some people will never like any ambient stuff.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: theis on May 01, 2013, 04:02 PM
Quote from: bright lights, big city on May 01, 2013, 03:54 PM

haha yeah you got me.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Slacker

i agree instrumentally is so solid. such a hard match for vocals. the verses como through, but the chorus is a tough one. an yeah...the vocal mix aint a strong point either...i think harris should had brought other engineer to handles this duties...

tropics is able to mesh better fosho, but just like ya'll say, it 'ill grow.

scarywindow

Quote from: Slacker on May 01, 2013, 06:09 PM
i agree instrumentally is so solid. such a hard match for vocals. the verses como through, but the chorus is a tough one. an yeah...the vocal mix aint a strong point either...i think harris should had brought other engineer to handles this duties...

tropics is able to mesh better fosho, but just like ya'll say, it 'ill grow.

if you listened to ISIS, it was quite the same way with Aaron Turner.  the first thing that caught me off guard with that band was the vocals... all monotone and buried.  then i fell in love. 

i seriously think Patagonia will grow on most of you.  it is quite a beautiful track, and i think the production fits it just right, just as i do the vocals.  like i said, with this one and Tropics, i'm ready for Deftones to just lay down and for Palms to keep moving full steam ahead.  this band is probably where Chino's heart lies from this point on.  hate to put it that way, but i know if i were him, Palms would be my main focus.  Deftones have had their day.

cvthedrv

i think the chino's voice is so weak in this, but i prefer patagonia than tropics.

scarywindow

Quote from: cvthedrv on May 01, 2013, 06:40 PM
i think the chino's voice is so weak in this, but i prefer patagonia than tropics.

Let's face it... Chino is getting older.  There is a reason his voice has changed... and that's due to age + being so hard on it throughout the years.  Deftones are most likely never going to be what people stuck in the old-school (Adrenaline-Self-titled) want from this point on.  SNW, DIAMOND EYES, and KOI NO YOKAN were all great records... but, let's face it... Chino is more suited for projects like Palms and Crosses now.  His voice has changed drastically, and he is certainly more suited for the 'dream-pop'/'shoegaze' style now.  His voice is still silk, no doubt.  But the Eagle Screaming Chino has to be laid to rest at some point.  I don't see him performing songs like Elite in 5 years time... and that's fine with me.  To be honest, as much as I loved Koi, I'm really ready for Deftones to take a much needed LONG break.  Release Eros, and rest up.  Meanwhile, I'd love to see Palms release records until the day I die.  I'm really in love with this band.  I haven't felt 'in love' with Deftones since SNW.  That's just me though. 

I'd just encourage everyone to chill and wait.  I have no doubt that most of you will be in love with Palms by the time these tracks are put in context of the record. 

nicklav

Quote from: scarywindow on May 01, 2013, 07:27 PM

Let's face it... Chino is getting older.  There is a reason his voice has changed... and that's due to age + being so hard on it throughout the years.  Deftones are most likely never going to be what people stuck in the old-school (Adrenaline-Self-titled) want from this point on.  SNW, DIAMOND EYES, and KOI NO YOKAN were all great records... but, let's face it... Chino is more suited for projects like Palms and Crosses now.  His voice has changed drastically, and he is certainly more suited for the 'dream-pop'/'shoegaze' style now.  His voice is still silk, no doubt.  But the Eagle Screaming Chino has to be laid to rest at some point.  I don't see him performing songs like Elite in 5 years time... and that's fine with me.  To be honest, as much as I loved Koi, I'm really ready for Deftones to take a much needed LONG break.  Release Eros, and rest up.  Meanwhile, I'd love to see Palms release records until the day I die.  I'm really in love with this band.  I haven't felt 'in love' with Deftones since SNW.  That's just me though. 

I'd just encourage everyone to chill and wait.  I have no doubt that most of you will be in love with Palms by the time these tracks are put in context of the record. 

I don't think these complaints have anything to do with his screams. Compare his "silky" voice on these songs to Digital Bath, Pink Maggit, MX, Natalie Portman, Teenager, Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event. There is a huge difference in his delivery and that's what I think people are complaining about.

therealdaebat

I am not a huge fan.  Sounds exactly like the stuff I don't really dig on SNW, DE, and KNY.  That being said, I'll still listen to the shit out of it because I like chino. 
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

Slacker

Quote from: sicily on Apr 30, 2013, 11:19 PM
anyone taking a crack at the lyrics, not for nothing but the prod quality is so muddy, the mix aint right, and his vocals sound too raw.

my take...

patagonia

there's a hole in space
where the demons wage
they control our sounds
when the silence goes

by the time we awake
the desires go on

there's a queen in place
would design our course?
while the silence waits
'till the silence comes

we'll dance across the wire
it dares a part of me

(hum)

does a tree like rain?
smother lonely waves
to control our signs
when the silence comes

a hero inside
all over this wed
lying you'll find
all over his wreth

a hero inside
over his wreth
away from your stop
covered in smiles
laughing your steps!

across the wire!
dance!
above the plains!

there's a hole in space
where your demons wait
to control our sounds
when the silence goes
when the silence goes
will we see ourselves?
will the silence go?
when the silence goes

(hum)

(a hero inside, over this wed
laughing inside, over his wreth)

im sold...

DeftonesNZ

I don't think it's Chino's voice getting weaker I think like any musician he wants to do different things with his instrument so he changes up  his singing style, I'm sure well rested and fully healthy he could pull off any song.

DaniknifeParty Ænema

Quote from: scarywindow on May 01, 2013, 07:27 PM

Don't get me wrong , I feel lucky and grateful to be a Chino fan, To me, Chino music is a mirror where I perceive more of myself and in that familiarity "the band" becomes irrelevant and only I remain. Let him make music in any band. That's just me though.

He had a lot to say...
He had a lot of nothing to say.

nicklav

Hmm... I don't know if the soundcloud version is any different, but I suddenly really like this song.

https://soundcloud.com/ipecacrecordings/02-patagonia

Sett

It sounds so much like Team Sleep. I'd never guessed it was done by the guys from ISIS, never. That being said, I like it. A lot.

Zantera

Really excited for this project. Chino is awesome, Isis were awesome, not much more to add really.