Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Tour: Live guide + video footage

Started by Vesanic, Jul 26, 2012, 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guizz

Quote from: MrVesanique on Mar 06, 2016, 05:45 PM
No, it is the lack of training. A fat guy can definitely be an awesome metal singer.
Being in very good shape is important for a singer that moves a lot on the stage like chino does. Being out of breath does not help your voice. But I'm not saying it's the only factor.

el perro

Doomed User sounds dysfunctional which I like but it sounds like a Chino metal song. Like Stef said he's the glue on this album. He took songs written by Chino and Serj and just made them tighter. I do like that Chino's singing in a manageable key for once. Overall though it's disappointing that what I've heard so far that they haven't really done anything different on this album. It's still the same style. 

guizz

el perro

Vesanic

Quote from: guizz on Mar 06, 2016, 08:05 PM
Quote from: MrVesanique on Mar 06, 2016, 05:45 PM
No, it is the lack of training. A fat guy can definitely be an awesome metal singer.
Being in very good shape is important for a singer that moves a lot on the stage like chino does. Being out of breath does not help your voice. But I'm not saying it's the only factor.

I know, and have said this on the board probably a dozen of times, but here I'm talking about the vocals only, not the stage presence. You could be a fatass and still sound great on most Deftones songs.

cvthedrv

guizz

Quote from: el perro on Mar 06, 2016, 08:41 PM
Quote from: guizz on Mar 06, 2016, 08:27 PM
Quote from: el perro on Mar 06, 2016, 08:09 PM
"Chino metal song"
what does that even mean?
A metal song that Chino wrote which Steph plays.
So is Rocket Skate a chino metal song or a steph metal song? what about a deftones metal song?

cvthedrv

what is metal, what is song, what is deftones, what is love.

guizz

Quote from: cvthedrv on Mar 06, 2016, 09:41 PM
Baby don't hurt me, no more.

cvthedrv

Quote from: guizz on Mar 06, 2016, 10:43 PM
Quote from: cvthedrv on Mar 06, 2016, 09:41 PM
Baby don't hurt me, no more.

a doomed user at the roxbury.

Vesanic

Let's just get Jim Carrey to replace Chino

ANattyRat

Quote from: luisch on Mar 06, 2016, 05:57 PM
I read he had pneumonia lately

Yeah, I read that too. When he's talking, his voice sounds a bit weird, so I imagine that at least played a part in the vocals. I mean, he sounded awesome on their tour with Incubus or whenever it was that they were playing When Girls Telephone Boys. He does seem to get pneumonia a lot though, this dude needs to boost up his immune system, haha.

el perro

Quote from: cvthedrv on Mar 06, 2016, 09:10 PM
"Chino metal song"

how do you know that?
I don't, but it doesn't sound as cohesive as a Steph song to me. It sounds like riffs cobbled together.

el perro

Quote from: guizz on Mar 06, 2016, 09:28 PM
"Chino metal song"
So is Rocket Skate a chino metal song or a steph metal song? what about a deftones metal song?

I'd guess Rocket Skates was mostly Steph's baby along with CMND/CTRL and YSTB on Diamond Eyes

Bifrost

Doomed User sounds dysfunctional which I like but it sounds like a Chino metal song. Like Stef said he's the glue on this album. He took songs written by Chino and Serj and just made them tighter. I do like that Chino's singing in a manageable key for once. Overall though it's disappointing that what I've heard so far that they haven't really done anything different on this album. It's still the same style.

Yeah I am having a hard time getting hyped about this album, I thought P/T was lackluster and the live renditions recently were just bad. I think someone mentioned it, from just a professional POV, it's got to be embarrassing. People pay money to see you perform and get excited about your new material and you can barely pull it off. I understand the age of the band and Chino could have been sick but it seems like he has been having these issues for years and hasn't really adequately addressed them, it's disappointing to me as a long time fan. Also musically from what I have heard I am not too blown away- sounds like KNY part 2. Honestly ever since Stef went to 7 then to 8 strings the music has steadily digressed IMO (and his tone).

Sorry to be so negative- this is just how I have been feeling lately about the 'tones.

worship

Far away

Quote from: pelican fly on Mar 07, 2016, 11:01 PM
! No longer available

lol

i love Franks work in Hexagram. I wish someone with the expertise in sound mixing or w/e could do the same as some guy (I dont remember who it was) did in WGTB, enhancing the Franks part on it. Makes me sad that you can barely hear it on the record. So calm and chill... Frank is amazing.

Vesanic

Far away

Quote from: MrVesanique on Mar 09, 2016, 02:04 PM
Twas me. And I did Hexagram too a while back.

! No longer available

Oh yeah, thats right. Thanks for both versions, dude. Kudos!
ps: i knew it would sound soooooo gooood!