Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The 9th Deftones Album Thread.

Started by Inkblades, Jan 11, 2014, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingPiranha

I have to agree with whoever said they want the band to take their time with this one. As much as I liked KNY, some of the songs really could've used some more time to be fleshed out and strengthened (no specific examples come to mind at the moment, but I felt they really overused certain choruses and riffs in some of the songs and I know they can do better). For me, I'd definitely welcome some more experimental stuff akin to Rosemary, alongside their traditional sound. I know a lot of people don't really like DE and KNY, but I really think they've found a groove that works for them lately and I have faith in whatever they put out next.

Also, Chino needs to fucking scream a little more if he can.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

DeftonesNZ

I wonder who the producer will be they've have said they intended to work with Terry date again I wonder if this will be the album they work with him again, that'd be awesome if it was.

Sett

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jan 15, 2014, 04:31 AM
I wonder who the producer will be they've have said they intended to work with Terry date again I wonder if this will be the album they work with him again, that'd be awesome if it was.

Yes, please. And also for more stuff a la Rosemary. Easily my favorite song from the last 3 albums.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: FlyingPiranha on Jan 15, 2014, 02:38 AM

That's probably my only gripe with KNY, I would use a bit more screaming. I think KNY really touched on something great, but something's missing and some screaming is part of that. It was multiple times better than DE was, because there were no songs on KNY I "didn't like," but sometimes I felt like certain songs were just "ok," or that there was just something missing to really push it over the edge to greatness. I think this next album will be even better, though, and my hopes are high.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

geraavl08

III

976-EVIL

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jan 15, 2014, 04:31 AM

Something has always told me the Terry Date and Deftones have one more Album in them.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Jan 15, 2014, 06:49 PM
Quote from: FlyingPiranha on Jan 15, 2014, 02:38 AM

That's probably my only gripe with KNY, I would use a bit more screaming. I think KNY really touched on something great, but something's missing and some screaming is part of that. It was multiple times better than DE was, because there were no songs on KNY I "didn't like," but sometimes I felt like certain songs were just "ok," or that there was just something missing to really push it over the edge to greatness. I think this next album will be even better, though, and my hopes are high.

yeah i agree qp. the "ok" grade songs for me are gauze, goon squad, and tempest on a borderline(goon squad's intro is awesome, however)

Caín

Eros TBA

I hope they get some guests on the new album, last time was SNW

ANattyRat

I want to hear more from Frank like in White Pony (Digital Bath, Change, Korea). I like what he brings to the band, but I love those atmospheric sounds he brought to that album.

I do love their dark music, too, but I think that's long gone. Maybe a song or two, but I don't believe we'll ever get another self-titled album. I'm OK with that, I'd rather hate their music and them be cool than for them to be in a terrible place to create amazing music.

I also think the days of screaming-Chino are quite over. I think he's mostly tired of it now, and I don't think he can physically do it as well as he could. So that's kind of sad, but it's life. At the same time, with Crosses and Palms and another(?) side-project with soft, mellow music, there is the possibility that he'll use Deftones as a means to bring forth a heavier, more aggressive side again.

Who knows? But I haven't hated a single Deftones album yet, so I'm not worried.

nicklav

If Chino won't scream then I'll take him singing ala The Boy's Republic, Moana, Mascara, etc.

BunsRaisinsPies

The boys will probably call up Nick Rasculinecz, but I'm pretty sure they have one more in them with Terry Date.

Jesus2Chino

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features/38128/Deftones-New-album-Big-Day-Out-and-Eros

Not a lot of news, but I guess they haven't done any real writing for the new album. Also, it seems like any thoughts about Eros being released are gone again.

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

ignore the fashion

Quote from: Jesus2Chino on Jan 19, 2014, 05:27 AM
http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features/38128/Deftones-New-album-Big-Day-Out-and-Eros

Not a lot of news, but I guess they haven't done any real writing for the new album. Also, it seems like any thoughts about Eros being released are gone again.

Much respect,
-Matt

Not even to the questions part of the interview and he has already called him Sergio Vargos and Sergio Vegas.

deftoner664

Terry Date or GTFO! I really think they need to take the work ethic they established with Nick and make a cohesive and dynamic  album with Terry's signature sound. IMO he brings the balls to Deftones music.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

DeftonesNZ

I don't know how Terry really effects their style just because they haven't done anything with him since those darker days so it's impossible to say but I definitely think he captures their sound better in all aspects, he's great at capturing Chino's vocal intricacies,Abes really strong sound especially his snare sound and he captures the dynamics of the guitars better and Frank is also more noticeable in his mixes, Nick isn't bad but he's not great either I find his tracks to be quite flat and compressed sounding compared to Nicks which are rich and have some air and atmosphere to them, Nicks mixes sound almost sterile whereas Terry will leave in the parts where Chino's voice starts to break up and all the other little sounds and imperfections like string scrapes that make it sound real.

deftoner664

I love the way Terry captures Abes drums because he uses different micing  techniques. Terry doesn't use bottom mics for the snare and toms but angles his mics further back and angles them so he gets that aggressive crack on his snares. Think digital bath. Nick on the other hand uses both top and bottom mics on all of Abes drums which adds fullness but creates the sterile sound when he compresses the living hell out of the entire kit.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

rainnyx4

Terry= Records their sound best

Nick = Motivates them to write their best

If Terry can keep them motivated then I'm all for them going back to him.  Otherwise, I'd rather them stick with Nick as he seems to be better at getting them off of their asses and writing ambitiously.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jan 31, 2014, 04:18 AM
Terry= Records their sound best

Nick = Motivates them to write their best

If Terry can keep them motivated then I'm all for them going back to him.  Otherwise, I'd rather them stick with Nick as he seems to be better at getting them off of their asses and writing ambitiously.
I don't think we can attribute that to Nick though I think it's more that Chi's accident and the short time frame they were given to do DE was the reason they started the whole quick album thing, from what I have heard Terry's never been ok with the long time frames and always tried to get them to do stuff and get motivated but they would basically just fuck around playing games and hanging out, I think if Terry did an album with them now it would been done just as fast as if Nick had done it, but even though I don't think Nick is responsible for the change in work ethic I think what they will take from him is what he implemented during the writing process, the guys have said while they were just jamming he would be there listening and recording everything and that he would go over each session and talk to each one of them to point out cool stuff they played and also as a group about some things he thought would go together well, I think they'll keep doing that either by getting Terry more involved during the writing stages or just doing it themselves.