Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The 9th Deftones Album Thread.

Started by Inkblades, Jan 11, 2014, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainnyx4

Quote from: Diplo on Feb 12, 2014, 05:48 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Feb 12, 2014, 08:44 AM
Lots of crazy talk about DE and KNY.  Easily their best work since WP. 
If KNY had just a little more aggression to it, it would've been a perfect album.

This two sentences are contradictory, have you listened to the S/T ?
Anyway it's not the topic.
With the age they got and the evolution of their stuff, I still think more time they take (I mean more time to think or meditate) more the album would be better or more accomplished.

Yeah, I have.  S/T is easily their worst.

Teknoman

So, can somebody ask Chino or Sergio on Twitter (or something) about what comes next for the band?
It's getting confusing with all the reports about them taking a year off and doing festivals at the same time and Chino saying that they are "eager to write new material"

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/deftones_eager_to_start_writing_music_chino_moreno_says.html

I make music too

jaypayton

with age they lost their balls.....I've come to the conclusion the people who hate S/T are the people who just want Digital bath part 2,3,4,5,6,7,8, and want Chino to sing lovely ballads....

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 13, 2014, 08:29 PM
with age they lost their balls.....I've come to the conclusion the people who hate S/T are the people who just want Digital bath part 2,3,4,5,6,7,8, and want Chino to sing lovely ballads....

Poltergeist is one of the heaviest fucking songs I've ever heard.
You really think Deftones lost their balls? Hah, you wish...

rainnyx4

Not at all.  I don't like S/T not because it's heavy, I don't like it because it was lazy.  Most of that album's songs sound either unfinished, like a rehash of another song, or are just plain lazy or monotonous.

SNW fixed most of these problems but was super disjointed.  DE was again another step in the right direction.  KNY was nearly perfect.  Like I said, the only thing I wished it had more of was a little bit more heaviness as the atmosphere and ambition were spot on.  But this may not be a feasible desire seeing how old the guys are and cut up Chino's throat is.

Northcal

yupppppppppp

Northcal

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Feb 13, 2014, 06:49 AM
Quote from: Diplo on Feb 12, 2014, 05:48 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Feb 12, 2014, 08:44 AM
Lots of crazy talk about DE and KNY.  Easily their best work since WP. 
If KNY had just a little more aggression to it, it would've been a perfect album.

This two sentences are contradictory, have you listened to the S/T ?
Anyway it's not the topic.
With the age they got and the evolution of their stuff, I still think more time they take (I mean more time to think or meditate) more the album would be better or more accomplished.

Yeah, I have.  S/T is easily their worst.
S/t is a masterpiece my friend!!SNW is the weakest of all!

cvthedrv

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Feb 13, 2014, 08:51 PM

Poltergeist is one of the heaviest fucking songs I've ever heard.
You really think Deftones lost their balls? Hah, you wish...

yep, poltergeist is imo the loudest song in kny (i always thought in the similarity with 'melanie' from the eros writing process), but if you think is one of the most heavy songs in the deftones catalog, your ears are so gay.

i remember chino saying somethink like 'we're not afraid of being pretty', and that means the good moment that they are living in their lifes, they aren't angry anymore, i think because of that isn't possible to listen the weirdness of 'eros' or the fury of the 'self-titled', just pussy mellow songs like 'entombed'.

jaypayton

I would classify Hexagram, and when girls telephone boys as their heaviest songs...not one song on KNY ranks in the top 30 of heaviest deftones songs considering Chino doesn't raise his voice once on the entire record

bewareofrats

Your ears must be defective if you really think that.  He doesn't raise his voice on Poltergeist?  Give me a break.  I'm not saying it's their heaviest song, but you're way over-doing it.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Penicks

goon squad is way more aggressive than poltergeist, it's also a way better song

sing blue silver

Am I the only one who thinks Adrenaline is far and away their worst?

kurtone

Quote from: sing blue silver on Feb 15, 2014, 05:04 PM

No. My least favorite album.

laurapalmer

Quote from: sing blue silver on Feb 15, 2014, 05:04 PM

Yeah its not even close. I only keep two songs from it on my IPod.

nicklav

With the exception of KNY, it's my least listened to Deftones album. Has some good moments, but is just overshadowed by the next 3 albums.

FlyingPiranha

Not much of a fan of Adrenaline myself, but I like listening to it sometimes to see how far they've come.

Anyway, I saw someone post about the confusing info lately about the band, so let me clarify it to the best of my knowledge: when Chino mentioned the band getting back together in February to write new music, and going on break for a bit, it was the same interview (I think it was done in November or December of last year). It's just getting picked apart and quoted now, so it seems conflicting and out of context. As far as I interpreted it he meant they were taking a break from when they finished last years' touring and then getting back together to write this February, not Feb '15.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

iceache

Quote from: Teknoman on Feb 13, 2014, 06:46 PM
So, can somebody ask Chino or Sergio on Twitter (or something) about what comes next for the band?
It's getting confusing with all the reports about them taking a year off and doing festivals at the same time and Chino saying that they are "eager to write new material"

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/deftones_eager_to_start_writing_music_chino_moreno_says.html

There's nothing to clarify. Interviews are done months in advance, and only published many months later.. in some instances, such as the chino interview where he says they're taking the rest of the year off... He meant the rest of 2013, writing in Feb 2014. There's nothing more to it than that.

kurtone

Abe was on a will haven podcast and said he hopes to start writing soon. Found this at theprp

rainnyx4

Adrenaline rules.  Classic post-hardcore up there with the best of Helmet, Quicksand, etc.

cvthedrv

i love adrenaline, young, honest and raw as fuck, no pussy shit.