Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones - Smile (Eros)

Started by Inkblades, Apr 13, 2014, 10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UrZ*

Mixing not even done.. still sounds awesome.. Terry <3
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

Teknoman

I'm going to listen to this until my ears bleed... I think this is the song that some people said it had the "Minerva Vibe"... I think it was Dallas.

I make music too

jciraheta

wow, i expected eros to be something more heavy , but this is maybe even more beatiful , ...amazing!!!

FlyingPiranha

Was there any kind of artwork released for a cover, or something that could work as one? This song is looking really lonely with no artwork in my iTunes.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

Sett

N0S3BLEED976

That part with "You wanna know what it's like? Then watch this" goes by so smooth. Goosebump inducing, for sure!

RIP Chi, we miss you

bebo

Enjoying it, definitely a vibe from pre-raskulinecz vibe here

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Amazing and not difficult to drop a tear listening to this.

Romain

And they stopped working with Terry? Seriously.

The production is ridiculously good. It's definitely sounding like some SNW 2, but I would like to say : it's just one song. I'm not gonna put an image on the album with that one song. It's supposed to have been extra experimental. This song doesn't mean the album can't be heavy as fuck at times. Even moreso, put in context, the song could have a better impact.

I dig it. The music sinks in, the "jam" kind of vibe is enjoyable, and Chino's vocals, while they're reminiscent of the direction he took on DE and KNY, it's done slightly differently. It works better. The effects are better. Lyric wise... I guess it can be a wide debate. It's definitely more generic like DE and KNY, at least.

shoop

What a surprise to wake up to.. damn. I guess i'll be listening to this and Melanie today quite a bit.

Inkblades

Wasn't sure how I felt on the first listen, but now I like the somber tone to it. It's also slightly psychedelic and jammy, which is how Eros has frequently been described.

I'm wondering how many people are going to go apeshit with "DOES THIS MEAN WE CAN HAZ EROS NOW!?!?" type of questions. I'm going to try really hard to not be one of those people.

digital bath

thank you for posting the song!
It really sweets my start in the new week :)

Jesus2Chino

Wow, what a treat. I was just watching some old shows the other day thinking how much I missed Chi. I don't want draw too many conclusions by glimpsing at Eros through the lens of this one song, but I like it a lot. The raw production is great, even unmastered, and though it has a sound that foreshadows the coming of DE and KNY, it has a lot more of the old Deftones sound that I love so much. I had more goosebumps listening to this one track than pretty much the last two albums as whole pieces. That's not to say the other albums were bad, it's just how I physically reacted to the song; I suppose the surprise-factor of waking up to something like this could have contributed to my reaction. I've only listened to it once...trying to resist playing it out...just in case...this means...Eros...is being released.............*sigh*

A guy can hope.

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

jciraheta

its weird but i feel like this one is a new song , sound like SNW tho

deftones47

This is a good song. Nice way to remember Chi a year after his passing.

We miss you, Chi.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

I'm pretty sure that Chino just had a lot of the vocals to record at the time that they shelved this album so the vocals on this track may have all been done in the last two or three years which is well after the album was nearly done instrumentally.

deftjess

people on facebook thinking Chino died  ::)

very cool song

this sounds like chino put vocals over this eros song recent

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 14, 2014, 12:43 AM
Wasn't sure how I felt on the first listen, but now I like the somber tone to it. It's also slightly psychedelic and jammy, which is how Eros has frequently been described.

I'm wondering how many people are going to go apeshit with "DOES THIS MEAN WE CAN HAZ EROS NOW!?!?" type of questions. I'm going to try really hard to not be one of those people.

since they've started recording a separate album I don't see Eros coming out as a whole for another couple years. but yeah this is pretty good, I see it as a contrast to Melanie.

Jesus2Chino

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Apr 14, 2014, 02:11 AM
since they've started recording a separate album I don't see Eros coming out as a whole for another couple years. but yeah this is pretty good, I see it as a contrast to Melanie.

I'm absolutely NOT saying that this means Eros is coming out, but vocals are the last thing Deftones work on with their writing process. Even if they are writing for their next release right now, Chino should be relatively free vocally for the first chunk of the writing. And because vocals are the only thing left unfinished on Eros, it's feasible for him to record a bit for Eros while the writing is going on for their KNY followup. But yeah, still not expecting a full release, at least not soon. Hoping, but not expecting.

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

Shadow46/2

Wow, really great track. That guitar riff that plays during "do you feel wet/do you feel love" is tearjerking.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.