Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones - Smile (Eros)

Started by Inkblades, Apr 13, 2014, 10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romain

Quote from: luisch on Apr 14, 2014, 03:13 AM
Quote from: FlyingPiranha on Apr 13, 2014, 11:57 PM
Was there any kind of artwork released for a cover, or something that could work as one? This song is looking really lonely with no artwork in my iTunes.

Not official, not mine, but anyways

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8031/8041674072_c0bf736650_z.jpg

I swear, if I have to see one more of those half-assed new Deftones covers with those stupid shapes and that shitty font à la Koi No Yokan and Leathers, I'll scream.

This was used on their website during the Eros process. It's also Eros (the god) on the picture

Romain

I'm wondering though :

Is it one of the songs that were finished, or is it one of those songs Chino still had to lay vocals on?

I mean, I would rather see the DE/KNY Chino coming up with lyrics and vocals like those, but then again at the time of the creation of the album, they were really optimistic and positive, so if it had been at the time, it would make sense too. Besides I think I'm spotting that grain in his voice that kind of faded afterwards.

Gaz

Wow, did not expect this, such a beautiful atmospheric song.

pony_01

REST IN PEACE CHI! SMILE EVERYBODY!

UrZ*

Quote from: kurtone on Apr 14, 2014, 08:22 AM
Really surprised this isn't being talked about more. People must abandon this site when there isn't a new album on the horizon lol. Thanks for the rip Luisch

Or when then aren't updates from the band or live shows... Not much to talk about right?
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

Martin

Amazing. I did not see that coming at all. Amazing. Love it. Cried too. RIP Chi.

White Wrist

RIP CHI.

Great action...one year after his death.

Caín

Thank you, Chino.
Touching song, great move.

RIP Chi

Penicks

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: mrpelon94 on Apr 14, 2014, 08:01 AM
feels good to have new deftones track....awesome song......was there any studio version of melanie...released other than the live version...that song rocks too

Sadly not.

Quote from: Diplo on Apr 14, 2014, 11:46 AMWhen was the vocals recorded ?
It's a demo ? A final version ?

The one thing we do know is that all the instrumentals were recorded and about half the vocals before Chi's accident. Whether any mixing was done or not, I don't know. I would assume so because recording was going on for about half a year

dangerballs

Quote from: FlyingPiranha on Apr 13, 2014, 10:48 PM
Quote from: shine down unshy on Apr 13, 2014, 10:36 PM
Someone rip this shit.
Here ya go.
https://mega.co.nz/#!vUETlBZY!8vEz-QZ74Nq29d28_jQpRKdG0P0s5GKTdIeZc3kigtM

EDIT: beaten to it oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Link is working now. Thanks for ripping it!

normsteez

May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

jciraheta

yes i have the same doubt about the vocals, but to me sounds pre D. E ...

luisch

Quote from: Romain on Apr 14, 2014, 11:46 AM
Quote from: luisch on Apr 14, 2014, 03:13 AM
Quote from: FlyingPiranha on Apr 13, 2014, 11:57 PM
Was there any kind of artwork released for a cover, or something that could work as one? This song is looking really lonely with no artwork in my iTunes.

Not official, not mine, but anyways

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8031/8041674072_c0bf736650_z.jpg

I swear, if I have to see one more of those half-assed new Deftones covers with those stupid shapes and that shitty font à la Koi No Yokan and Leathers, I'll scream.

This was used on their website during the Eros process. It's also Eros (the god) on the picture

Yup, you're right, Romain.
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

peterdigiacomo

Bridge reminds me of Fist. Still like the song, I was a little hyped yesterday when I first heard it, but its definitely a grower.

Deadradio

love this song! Glad we got to hear it!

defTHE1s

Quote from: luisch on Apr 13, 2014, 10:47 PM
Smile

We move together
We cruise till the end
Screwing and shooting our way out

You want to know what it's like?
then watch this
You want to feel again?

You wanted this
Welcome to my world
Now
You want feel again

Smile
You're born again (x2)
Do you feel wet? do you feel love?

We've sailed through hell knows
They've sank but we float on

You want go for a ride?
It's over
You want to feel it again?
You've always said that you know my worth
And now you want to feel it again

Smile
You're born again (x2)

We cruise together
It's me and you till the end

Smile
You're born again (x4)

Download
God bless you.
It's a really beatiful song, as some of you said, like the next step from SNW, like a perfect continuation on the way of the evolution of the band, and very emotive on how it was released.
I really hope they will release more stuff like this, even if it's not entirely produced. It sounds perfect to me. I love it already.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

buddyboy101

it's perfect old-school deftones.  only chino could make the phrase "smile" work and sound sinister

dangerballs

Finally got an opportunity to sit still and listen to this without any co-workers buzzing around.

What a great song! I absolutely love the false ending at around 3:10...something I have been missing in Deftones songs for a while now.

Diplo

Quote from: buddyboy101 on Apr 14, 2014, 09:38 PM
it's perfect old-school deftones.  only chino could make the phrase "smile" work and sound sinister

Exactly ! Love the way he sings, really old school, calm and melancholic.
Also, I'm really enjoying the bass of Chi.