Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones - Smile (Eros)

Started by Inkblades, Apr 13, 2014, 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laurapalmer

Didn't see this coming at all and its by no means an earth-shattering song or anything but I'm on board for many different reasons

Freedomsoldier17

I think it's great how this song was released, but I don't feel Chino should do it again. Just getting songs progressively without an official album would be kind of a mood killer for me.

illthrowROCKS@U

The only reason I would support an actual album over releasing the songs over time is for the money to go towards the band or Chi's family.  Also, official album art would be nice.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

chuckles

As it was expected... WB took it down completely... Very disrespectful.
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: chuckles on Apr 14, 2014, 11:34 PM
As it was expected... WB took it down completely... Very disrespectful.

Wow, that's pretty pathetic. I mean it was uploaded from the LEAD SINGER. However it's been reuploaded 5+ times already and a mp3 link has been established so I don't think WB can get tabs on this train.

kurtone

Just another case of the man trying to keep us down

sing blue silver

Pretty scummy move by WB.

kurtone

Not surprised. They did the same thing when the put up all those bootlegs.

Northcal

Terry Date please report to the deftones office,  will the real Terry Date please stand up!!! ;D

Northcal

Chi should be on the cover of Eros by himself!!Use a  pic of Chi during his childhood,it would be a classy move by the tones  8)ok people start talking shit !andddddd go

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: Northcal on Apr 15, 2014, 02:59 AM
Chi should be on the cover of Eros by himself!!Use a  pic of Chi during his childhood,it would be a classy move by the tones  8)ok people start talking shit !andddddd go

If I were Deftones' I'd release Smile as a single and put Chi in the artwork(the song being dedicated to him). I wouldn't want him on the cover of the actual album though.

pony_01

i got this weird feeling that this song is more mature than any songs from DE and KNY, in a good way

Northcal

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Apr 15, 2014, 03:08 AM
Quote from: Northcal on Apr 15, 2014, 02:59 AM

If I were Deftones' I'd release Smile as a single and put Chi in the artwork(the song being dedicated to him). I wouldn't want him on the cover of the actual album though.
that's cool 2,but its Chi last Album with the tones ,not his last song!!

jbmp1390

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

Martin

Surfed by the PRP, and saw this in a post about the song;

"Despite being posted by Moreno himself the original upload has been taken down by the bands label, Warner Bros. Records."

WTF.

Penicks

DeftonesNZ

Yeah bad move on warners part that claim doesn't even stop the song getting out and they would know that by know there's no stopping it getting around it's just a power move or their part but it reflects really poor or them given it was a tribute

ANattyRat

Wow, very different than I expected. I was expecting it to be heavy for some reason, I guess because Melanie was somewhat heavy and they said it was quite unorthodox. I know in all of Deftones' albums, they've never had an entirely-heavy or an entirely-soft album, there's always a mixture. I just suppose I felt like the majority of Eros would be heavy. Of course, this is only one song, and it is a beautiful song.

I think the song is great. It's not their best by a long shot, but great, and the difference between this and Diamond Eyes is massive. You can see the lyrics going more in the direction we've heard on Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan. Actually, they remind me a bit of Risk, for some reason. Even though we haven't heard Eros, I still think they've proven that no album of theirs sounds the same. That was a truly beautiful way to honour Chi on the anniversary of his passing, to allow fans of him and of Deftones to hear one of the songs on the last album he worked on.

As for the vocals, I did wonder if they were recently recorded or not, but I hear the quality in Chino's voice that was very prevalent on Saturday Night Wrist, and then a tiny bit on Diamond Eyes, but not on Koi No Yokan. So I think it's one of those songs that the vocals were already done.

Also, this is a good indicator that the band are in more of a mindset where they can release Eros. It might be a one-off, it might not be, but obviously they're not completely opposed to it, so this is a good sign.

Romain

I don't see why everyone is so surprised about the song being removed, it was obviously going to happen. I mean yeah it sucks, but when bands belong to a label, it's supposed to mean something. The artist doesn't have the publishing rights, that's why they sign with a label, right? So they can publish and promote it in an effective manner, and if they actually never do it, it doesn't give the artist any more right to publish, no matter if the bassist is dead.

mono

Quote from: Romain on Apr 15, 2014, 10:28 AM
I don't see why everyone is so surprised about the song being removed, it was obviously going to happen. I mean yeah it sucks, but when bands belong to a label, it's supposed to mean something. The artist doesn't have the publishing rights, that's why they sign with a label, right? So they can publish and promote it in an effective manner, and if they actually never do it, it doesn't give the artist any more right to publish, no matter if the bassist is dead.

unfortunately, it's true...at least almost everyone downloaded the song