Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gottsu

I don't dig the hype for this song. It's just boring and perfect to some mainstream rock radio. The bassline and drums sounds like in RX Queen, nothing new for me. Also the bridge is KNY-ish.

I expected just a little more dynamic, powerful record not only on choruses.

Inkblades

Yeah, it's a definite grower. I like it overall. In a way, it reminds me structurally of "Diamond Eyes", but I think the sounds are more interesting and weird than that song. Also, does anyone feel like this is one of the most 1980's-esque song Deftones have ever written? I don't why, but something about it just screams 80's to me. The verse guitar riff, the chorus, etc., but with a Deftones twist.

defTHE1s

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Feb 04, 2016, 06:19 PM
I am actually going to try and go old school on this one and wait for the full album to be out there before listening to anything. Just wondering about the length of the song and whether or not they fell into their old lazy trap where the bridge is just one of the main riffs repeated in slightly different way. Also, any solos?
Wait for the one with Jerry :P
btw, how long it is? I seemed very short in duration and also I think the chorus comes in reallly quick. We already have Diamond Eyes (the song).

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

shine down unshy

Opening verse drums/bass remind me of some straight up 80's shit. Very Duran Duran-ish.

Entombed

I like it slightly better in high quality, but I'm still a bit disappointed overall. The fuzz on his vocals during the screaming part sounds pretty horrible IMO.
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

So glad they decided to upload it to youtube, now being enjoyed at 320 and waiting 6pm to go meet Stephen at Guitar Center :D

Knucklestones

Quote from: shine down unshy on Feb 04, 2016, 06:58 PM
"There's a new, strange, godless demon awake inside me."
There's a force divine. Terrorizing the angels I keep. While we dream. Prayers. Laid on the line. You will never be free. You will never be free.

nineteen

Quote from: shine down unshy on Feb 04, 2016, 07:01 PM
Opening verse drums/bass remind me of some straight up 80's shit. Very Duran Duran-ish.

It's so Sade (the vocals).

pelican fly

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 04, 2016, 07:00 PM
Also, does anyone feel like this is one of the most "1980's"-esque song Deftness have ever written? I don't why, but something about it just screams 80's to me. The verse guitar riff, the chorus, etc., but with a Deftnones twist.

Yea man, It does sound that way. I got the whole 80's vibe with the teasers/ artwork and sound on this song ( the font of record title also).
I get a whole 80's Miami vibe with all of that. I think this album will be very different. Maybe not as much as some would like but it will stand on its own while still having that sound they are known for. I hope.

ANattyRat

Quote from: gottsu on Feb 04, 2016, 07:00 PM
I don't dig the hype for this song. It's just boring and perfect to some mainstream rock radio. The bassline and drums sounds like in RX Queen, nothing new for me. Also the bridge is KNY-ish.

I assume this is the most straightforward-sounding, typical Deftones song on the album. They're not going to release, for example, the song with Jerry Cantrell, for a first glimpse into the album, you know? They want something that'll appeal to most fans, and most fans will be happy with a song like this, because it's simply Deftones. Ticks all the boxes. I'm very sure this is nowhere near the highlight (musically or vocally) of the album. I'm expecting a great album, to be honest. I love the song, but I don't consider it to be a representation of the overall sound of the album, so it hasn't changed my expectations at all. That's just me though. I never have to worry much about not liking Deftones albums, thankfully.

Bifrost

someone want to attempt the complete lyrics? ;)

shoop

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Feb 04, 2016, 07:02 PM
So glad they decided to upload it to youtube, now being enjoyed at 320 and waiting 6pm to go meet Stephen at Guitar Center :D
It's 128kbps on youtube

stu_101

I'm confident in this album. I mean, name a deftones record where the first track is the standout song? This is a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far away

Quote from: gottsu on Feb 04, 2016, 07:00 PMperfect to some mainstream rock radio.

Agree

Altho I do like Tempest. The record version, anyway. Every live version of it that Ive watched, is rly bad. Thansk, Sergio. ¬¬

also... prayers... triangles

Reichward

Quote from: ANattyRat on Feb 04, 2016, 07:09 PM
Quote from: gottsu on Feb 04, 2016, 07:00 PM

I assume this is the most straightforward-sounding, typical Deftones song on the album. They're not going to release, for example, the song with Jerry Cantrell, for a first glimpse into the album, you know? They want something that'll appeal to most fans, and most fans will be happy with a song like this, because it's simply Deftones. Ticks all the boxes. I'm very sure this is nowhere near the highlight (musically or vocally) of the album. I'm expecting a great album, to be honest. I love the song, but I don't consider it to be a representation of the overall sound of the album, so it hasn't changed my expectations at all. That's just me though. I never have to worry much about not liking Deftones albums, thankfully.

It's exaclty this actually, if you refer to Chino's words during the interview:
Quote"I feel like it's just one of those songs that's very 'DEFTONES-esque,' where that dynamic is there as far as that ebb and flow and that dynamic of just those parts that go at your throat. But, you know, it also has a soothing quality to it as well, and that dichotomy is what makes us who were are, in a way. It's sort of our DNA. So I feel like it's a good representation of where we're at right now and where we've been in the past as well."
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/listen-to-new-deftones-song-prayerstriangles/#ABHxCdSUclf8bFql.99

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: shoop on Feb 04, 2016, 07:11 PM
It's 128kbps on youtube

Actually I converted it to audio 320 with Realtimes

Val

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Feb 04, 2016, 07:13 PM
Quote from: shoop on Feb 04, 2016, 07:11 PM
It's 128kbps on youtube

Actually I converted it to audio 320 with Realtimes
Thats not how that works.

Bifrost

Quote from: Knucklestones on Feb 04, 2016, 07:04 PM
Quote from: shine down unshy on Feb 04, 2016, 06:58 PM
"There's a new, strange, godless demon awake inside me."
There's a force divine. Terrorizing the angels I keep. While we dream. Prayers. Laid on the line. You will never be free. You will never be free.

I guess this is how you feel after you get a tattoo of Baphomet on your arm LOL

stu_101

Is it just me or does the very first millisecond sounds like it's about to break into Feiticeira? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANattyRat

Quote from: Far away on Feb 04, 2016, 07:11 PM
Quote from: gottsu on Feb 04, 2016, 07:00 PMperfect to some mainstream rock radio.

Agree

Altho I do like Tempest. The record version, anyway. Every live version of it that Ive watched, is rly bad. Thansk, Sergio. ¬¬

also... prayers... triangles

Why, is it Sergio making the live versions bad?