Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Quote from: MrVesanique on Feb 25, 2016, 07:23 PM
I never mentioned the heaviness

I wasn't referring to you in particular, man, just all the general speculation and complaining. I understand people wanting them to be more heavy again, since we all have our own ideas on what we want the album to sound like, but to go on and on about it like some people do, to the point where it's just complaining...it's pointless.

CarloDefDonno

Steph's interview for Ultimate Guitar is quite worrying, but I don't know how much credit we should give to it. Steph always seems to be joking in his interviews and you get to understand that in a video. In a written intreview you don't have that kind of insight. It's just that to me it seems pretty ridiculous to vent such a complaint in an interview, it's something I would expect from an immature member of a crappy band, definitely not from Steph.

jaypayton

how is it speculating? It is common knowledge Chino isnt into heavy aggressive music anymore. Have you heard Crosses? Have you heard him dismiss Adrenaline and ST in interviews from the past year or so...have you heard Palms? Hes the one guy who does an album with Isis and manages to make them sound mellow. He namedrops how much heloves beiber all the time.....the guitar player (who is known to want the band to be more metal) does an interview saying he basically hated the new album and doesnt like the direction the band is going in.  put 2 and 2 together its obvious the album will NOT be heavy and Chino is clearly the reason why....who do you think is pushing them in a new direction? Abe and Frank? or Chino? hmmmmm thats a tough one

Sicario

I don't think Chino has anything against aggressive music. I just think he has just somewhat moved beyond the relentless aggression. I feel like he is fine with refined aggression and heaviness which is what is present on KNY. The end of the interview has the note saying the interviewer listened to the album and that if you are a fan of heavy or softer Deftones you will be satisfied. That sums it up for me. They are creating some awesome music in their old age, despite it not being as heavy as many may want it to be. Sure, somedays I like the raw aggression that is Adrenaline or ATF. But others days, I feel pretty laid back and enjoy their lighter stuff. There may be less heavy songs on the album than in albums past but as long as the music is good, who cares?
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

N0S3BLEED976

Chino is definitely into heavy music. He's a fan of Gojira, Meshuggah and numerous other metal bands. He just grew up with a lot of new wave and pop music and it's important to him to let those influences seep into the music as well.

He mentioned in multiple recent interviews how he likes the opposition of the beautiful and the ugly and how that is definitely a huge theme on the new record. See here: https://youtu.be/J09-mhm1b2c
How the melodic sequences entwine with the abrasive parts is what he likes about Deftones so much. Heaviness will always be a part of band, just not the outdated 90's frosted tips, baggy pants, Nike sneakers, jumping around and screaming kind. To me the heaviness in the band's music over the years stems from a lot of post-rock and -metal influences. Just listen to some notable bands from that genre and you'll see a similar juxtaposition of quiet and heavy instrumentation.

I feel like some of you might appreciate what the band's doing nowadays more if you'd simply broaden your horizons a bit and listen to more music than the usual 90's alternative rock staples...

luisch

Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 25, 2016, 11:42 PM
how is it speculating? It is common knowledge Chino isnt into heavy aggressive music anymore.

https://twitter.com/chinomoreno/status/679078604358049793

And when Chino gets invited to be part of Palms, the music was already recorded, he just put his voice on it.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2699063/chino-moreno-deftones/
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Yoi Yes Kokan

if chino isn't into heavy music why was diamond eyes and kny their most crushing albums? they are also the most melodic too which is why they are my favorite, they represent deftones at their best, they've become better at what they've done since '89.

ever heard the song *GIFT*

exactly, so shut up.

ZND84

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 26, 2016, 01:21 AM
if chino isn't into heavy music why was diamond eyes and kny their most crushing albums? they are also the most melodic too which is why they are my favorite, they represent deftones at their best, they've become better at what they've done since '89.

exactly, so shut up.

KNY and Diamond you think are the most crushing?  our interpretation of "crushing" must be way different, to me Hexagram, My Own Summer,  shit like that is crushing. As far as Gore, I couldn't care less if it's heavy or softer, I think they do both styles brilliantly, so as long as they don't do a fucking dubstep album or some shit like that, I'm 99% percent I'll like it.

sharinglungs

I'm 100% sure Chino's lurking the boards...

on his twitter he linked to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls87arRvzLg

Yep. Chino's not into heavy anymore....

nghtmrv

Quote from: sharinglungs on Feb 26, 2016, 01:44 AM

yeah, he's lurking. hot damn, that's a dope song.

jaypayton

exactly, so shut up.

KNY is their most crushing album??? are you one of the new fans who thinks Diamond Eyes is their 1st record???? might be the most idiotic statement I have ever read...try listening to the 2003 album and then listen to KNY..then get back to me on which is more crushing...LMAO

HooiserBowhunter

I saw that too haha. Ive never heard of them, but that song rocks and goes super hard. I mostly hate metal bands b/c for me they all sound the same. Also I get so sick of the constant growling that I can't even understand what they are saying. I guess thats why I love Deftones so much. I really want to go to that PointFest show, but its a long drive and the only bands I would be into would be Deftones and Chevelle.

thewanderer

Sometimes I hear certain sounds, and they make my dick really fucking hard.........

B0RNtoR0CK

Plot Twist. Chino's son's band? ha jk

song slays though

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 26, 2016, 02:44 AM

exactly, so shut up.

KNY is their most crushing album??? are you one of the new fans who thinks Diamond Eyes is their 1st record???? might be the most idiotic statement I have ever read...try listening to the 2003 album and then listen to KNY..then get back to me on which is more crushing...LMAO

I have somthing for you to "LMAO" about. first off all poltergeist is their heaviest song and second of all as for being a new fan, you don't even know the song GIFT which is why I put that in my original post because i know how you baseheads think around here, I can predict your every move.

thewanderer

It's all social engineering bullshit.
I don't think Deftones know the song "gift" either.
Sometimes I hear certain sounds, and they make my dick really fucking hard.........

N0S3BLEED976

y'all crazy

King Leer

these last few pages on this thread had me like...

in some cases it's OK to use common sense guys... my two cents on this are that any type of band that is going to release new material obviously likes to create buzz. the whole steph stuff while some people might describe it as to being bad press/karma, does have people guessing and coming to their own conclusions which is perfect because those who were skeptical to begin with will most likely give the album a listen just to hear the  direction of the band that steph "didn't approve of..." im pretty sure they are just messing up with your mind you fucking sheep..

thewanderer

cvthedrv

I dont care, fuck DE & KNY Newbie fans.