Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braincleaner

Both the verses and the chorus really do it for me. Also props to Sergio for those basslines on the verse.

beansandcornbread

Quote from: jciraheta on Apr 20, 2016, 02:39 PM
am i the only one who absolutly in  love with  phantom bride , but not for the solo, its for chino in the verses ,

it has a such melancholic tone its amazing , or sad, i think chino stole the show in that song, pd.orry or my english 

Love it as well, but I'm an 80's kid.  The solo fits perfect.  Not overplayed and fits the tone of the song very well.

the7thsaga

Finally listened to it front to back for the first time yesterday. There are things that bug me about it, but overall, I really like it.

The engineering is pretty inconsistent, and I'm not really a fan of some of the drum samples/sound replacement they did on the drums. On the other hand, this is kind of cool, because every song has a unique personality and sonic character.

The guitar tone is wonderful sounding IMO - probably the best sounding 8 string tone they've had, but the mix is a shade too guitar dominant at times. With Adrenaline through SNW I felt like the mixes worked for the material, but now that they've stopped coasting on a certain guitar tone / riff style combo, I think the last three albums would have benefit from having a louder, more natural drum sound.

Chino is actually singing within his range and the vocal production sounds pretty good, but I'm not a fan of the obvious distortion they use when he screams, because it accentuates the overtones in his screado sms and actually makes his voice sound weaker than it would without it.

The song structures are by far the most interesting and adventurous they've ever had, although sometimes I feel the mix kind of dilutes the impact of some of the big transitions in the songs.  Still, they were definitely inspired during the writing sessions for Gore, and rode a wave quite unlike any they previously had. I would love to hear the b-sides from this album, and hope they release them via singles or something, although given we still haven't heard the unreleased track from DE, it seems unlikely that this will happen in the future.

nicklav

I'd like an album with Steph taking the lead on songwriting. I really like Gore, but man do I miss Steph's creativity.

sooniletugo

"Blank featured vile creatures collapse at your angles"

Anyone else think the lyrics and chino's delivery on Geometric Headdress are fantastic. The whole song has such a cool vibe.

ANattyRat

Quote from: sooniletugo on Apr 20, 2016, 08:06 PM

Anyone else think the lyrics and chino's delivery on Geometric Headdress are fantastic. The whole song has such a cool vibe.

Man, the lyrics on this album are my favourite in a very long time. Geometric Headdress is by far my favourite on the album, lyrically and in terms of vocal melody.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 20, 2016, 08:37 PM
Quote from: sooniletugo on Apr 20, 2016, 08:06 PM

Man, the lyrics on this album are my favourite in a very long time. Geometric Headdress is by far my favourite on the album, lyrically and in terms of vocal melody.

"Ornate Headdress, my temptress" has to be one of the coolest lines on the album. Also love the cathartic ending. "Right here in your prism walls we will stay" *duuuunnn*

Penicks

absolutely hate how chino sings that, yuck yuck yuck

from_musings

i really like the echo effect on the "words" when chino sings "and our hearts they collapse, at the words" after 1 min or so. That whole shift between those parts is awesome. frank's synths during the song is pretty damn sweet too. great song

ANattyRat

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 20, 2016, 09:15 PM
i really like the echo effect on the "words" when chino sings "and our hearts they collapse, at the words" after 1 min or so. That whole shift between those parts is awesome. frank's synths during the song is pretty damn sweet too. great song

Absolutely. It's nice to see the appreciation for a song that's generally not as loved as I think it should be. I get people thinking it's too straightforward, but it's such a beautiful song.

elite54

The "now relate like I relate" part at 2:40 is cool

rainnyx4

The chorus on GH is one of the high points of the album. Probably second best chorus after Xenon.

SMLiberator

Geometric Headdress is God.

::)
i'm confused??

nicklav

Quote from: elite54 on Apr 20, 2016, 10:13 PM

Love this part of the song.

ANattyRat

Also let's not forget how awesome Sergio is on Geometric Headdress.

Inkblades

Quote from: nicklav on Apr 20, 2016, 11:24 PM
Quote from: elite54 on Apr 20, 2016, 10:13 PM

Love this part of the song.

+1

Shadow46/2

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 20, 2016, 11:28 PM
Also let's not forget how awesome Sergio is on Geometric Headdress.
THIS

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

only pieces remain

everyone in here sucking geos dick but yet its about to be eliminated

its the best track on the album and anyone who doesnt like it is a fart knocker

nicklav

I disagree. Geometric is a good song, but Acid Hologram is the best song on the album.

pinata89

Rubicon...that is all.😉

Fact is, this album is strong, and there are lots of strong moments. I think we can all agree on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk