Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

The problems they were going through during SNW really reflects on the album...but still, the flashes of brilliance are some of their most brilliant.

Gaz

SNW, DE and KNY, I enjoy all of those albums for different reasons, 3 different kinds of era's for the band. That said, I haven't played SNW in full for a while, so thats getting spun tonight!

nineteen

I try and let go of album mixes these days as I have a tendency to focus on it too much and it ruins the enjoyment for me. Even with Ohms I started off by thinking the snare could be louder for my tastes but then had to stop myself, as I'll always have a love for 90s style mega loud snares which was 20+ years ago.

I suppose that I'll never be able to listen to an album without a preference here & there but it was getting ridiculous. I'll now just tinker with an EQ a bit and I'm happy.

Gaz

Quote from: nineteen on Aug 24, 2020, 09:57 PM
I try and let go of album mixes these days as I have a tendency to focus on it too much and it ruins the enjoyment for me. Even with Ohms I started off by thinking the snare could be louder for my tastes but then had to stop myself as I'll always have a love for 90s style mega loud snares.

I suppose that I'll never be able to listen to an album without a preference here & there but it was getting ridiculous. I'll now just tinker with an EQ a bit and I'm happy.

I'm a sucker for loud snares also

It would be good in the future if Gore got a re-master & new mix, ideally by Terry Date

buflen

Quote from: Gaz on Aug 24, 2020, 09:59 PM
I try and let go of album mixes these days as I have a tendency to focus on it too much and it ruins the enjoyment for me. Even with Ohms I started off by thinking the snare could be louder for my tastes but then had to stop myself as I'll always have a love for 90s style mega loud snares.

It would be good in the future if Gore got a re-master & new mix, ideally by Terry Date

I'm still very confused about the mix on Gore. I can't believe the band listened to it and were like: Yes, thats the sound we want to go with this time.

Draken

The mix on Gore is horrendous, maybe that style of production works for other bands but not Deftones. When Chino stated he was ripping off Morrissey's "Elvis-y delay" on his vocals I thought it sounded like it might be cool, but then when i heard the record it most definitely did not serve it well. Made his vocals sound tinny and unbearable imo.

Inkblades

Quote from: buflen on Aug 24, 2020, 10:01 PM

I'm still very confused about the mix on Gore. I can't believe the band listened to it and were like: Yes, thats the sound we want to go with this time.

Gore was pushed back because they were unhappy with the mix and they tried different versions, I think. At a certain point it probably became "well, we have to put the album out soon" so they just went with it.

E-Money

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 24, 2020, 07:38 PM
About 2003, I had the chance to discuss that recently on the Musically Meditated podcast. I hated the Wembley 2003 performance when I first watched it. It threw me off, I didn't like how Chino replaced the high notes on Digital Bath with those inhales, lots of things felt odd. I just didn't know any better at the time, I was a noob when it came to this band.

Today Wembley is my favorite Deftones recording. This whole era, specifically the second half of the year, has their most crafted performances (lightnings, transitions, etc.), and the performances were so very intense. There's this one particular performance of Digital Bath, in Montreal, where Chino pulls off the notes in a very different manner, I don't think he even did it out of this show. Very raw and powerful stuff.

And it's special because you know these raw performances happened because of the inner turmoil. I wouldn't want them to go through that again. But did it pay off musically!

That Montreal DB is my favorite of all Time V!!! It's slower paced and absolutely brutal.

honeybeewu

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Aug 24, 2020, 08:44 PM
Yeah Riviere is a masterpiece. For me whole SNW is the top tier of their catalogue - combat, beware, rapture, cherry waves, kimdracula, riviere. These songs basically combine everything what I love this band for. Sadly most of the fans won't agree with me. I hope Ohms will let me feel the same thing...
FWIW I 100% agree with you. Those tracks hit me hard at my core. I am very optimistic about ohms delivering similar.

Hidalgo

Quote from: buflen on Aug 24, 2020, 08:08 PM
From the hype I got from the new song, I listened to Gore again, and I'm kind of worried because I really don't enjoy that album. I don't know if it's mostly because of the production, but a lot of these songs I'm tempted to just skip. Finger crossed I guess
the Buflen? Mario Maker Buflen?

Hidalgo

Quote from: LG95 on Aug 24, 2020, 09:13 PM
Penicks isn't really a fan of the post SNW records, same with Ves. I kind of like that there are people on this forum that go against the grain like that, even though most fans - including me - would disagree (I think DE and KNY are brilliant records). And of course there's a special love for the self-titled which I think is a top three Deftones album.
i kind of appreciate the fans like them more than i used to as well. i don't think they're saying the other albums sucked either, just that they're not hitting them the same way. i respect that. luckily i really like/love all the albums, but certainly have an order for them. i acutally think Crosses is probably the 3rd best album Chino's made(ATF and WP 1st and 2nd). doubt many people agree. everyone's opinion is right to them, not really a big deal

if i had to rank Chino's discography

1. Around the Fur
2. White Pony
3. Crosses
4. Diamond eyes
5. Adrenaline (i started with adrenaline, in late 1995, i don't care if Chino isn't crazy about it)
6. Like Linus (yea i count like linus 12 tracks i put on a cd, lol)
7. Palms
8. s/t
9. Gore
10. Team Sleep (including the 2002 demos)
11. Saturday night wrist
12. Koi no yokan (something had to be last, but i'm a diehard and really like this album a lot. all of them)

still my fav band for sure. 20-25 years ago i used to listen to them almost daily, but the past 15 years or so i only listen to deftones  a few times a year, kinda keeps it all very fresh, and more exciting to hear, cause i don't over play them

Hidalgo

Quote from: nicklav on Aug 24, 2020, 08:30 PM
Going through their catalog and Riviere is a monster of a song. It might be one of their best. Huge sounds, Chino on point vocally, with beautiful bass lines throughout from Chi. I can't seem to play it loud enough. I love SNW as it is, but if all that ever came out from that time period were Riviere I don't think I would complain.
yes, Riviere would be my favorite from SNW as well

Hidalgo

Quote from: buflen on Aug 24, 2020, 10:01 PM

i dont get it either, the louder it's played, the worse it sounds. i like the songs, but that mix is rough. i tried to jam "doomed user" loud as hell one time in the car, and it just sounded bad, and i had to turn it down a bit. and yea "Beware" might be even worse sounding mix wise

buflen

Quote from: Hidalgo on Aug 25, 2020, 01:19 AM
From the hype I got from the new song, I listened to Gore again, and I'm kind of worried because I really don't enjoy that album. I don't know if it's mostly because of the production, but a lot of these songs I'm tempted to just skip. Finger crossed I guess
Yes. it's me.

I was not expecting to be recognized with this name here. I used to post on the old and retired Deftones official board, and had multiple account here since the very beginning. I forgot my password so I registered again under this name.

Vesanic

Quick write-up:

I actually like Saturday Night Wrist, quite a lot. I bought it in 2007 after catching the Hole in the Earth promo clip on YouTube. I remember thinking that was the most directly emotional Chino had sounded (from the little I knew about) if that makes sense, and the composition sounded very fresh, I loved Frank's ambient and the outro breakdown hit me deep.

The Konami Code is one of the Deftones songs I've overplayed to death (and there aren't as many as you'd think for someone like me). Something about it was different while still sounding very Deftones. Some kind of peaceful innocence mixed with the surrounding melancholy, I don't really have the words. I even remember trying to figure out piano at the time, and I had come up with my own version of the song. No credit to me obviously, it sounded beautiful on piano.

And for as disjointed as the band was and how pieced together to writing process was, I still don't feel the album is as disjointed as many people think. There's only one point in the sequence where I'm thrown off, is the Konami Code into Xerces. I like both tracks (though Xerces may be my least favorite SNW song), but the lack of transition there doesn't work for me. You'd think it's a very Deftones move to go like this, I just don't think it worked that well in that case. And then going into Rats! after that is debatable too. I do like Rats! though. I remember someone on here criticising the very simple lyricism, but the feeling of anger came out really well and sincere. It's definitely in their few all-time heaviest cuts and it didn't feel heavy for the sake of being heavy. That's something for a metal band imo. Hell, does anyone remember another instance of Deftones playing fucking death metal? Someone said Gore felt more cohevise than SNW... I disagree.

Hell, Pink Cellphone used to be the running gag of this forum. I actually did like Pink Cellphone. I thought, for as random as it sounded, it really fitted Saturday Night Wrist. I still think stuff like that and The Konami Code could be played live with success if done correctly.

Kimdracula still is one of my favorite songs. This texture, are you kidding me? It's one of those few songs where you know you can't put this band in a box no matter how hard you try.

Combat comes as a personal preference since I witnessed first hands the only time they pulled it off in front of an audience. I liked it a lot when I first heard it too.

And Riviere. Fucking Riviere man. I didn't notice it on the first few listens, felt like that mandatory ballad by an otherwise heavy band, but holy shit. Those guitar chords hit right when they need to. Chino's vocals come off very sincere and almost fragile. Makes me tear up every time, I'm not ashamed. Absolutely my favorite SNW track and in my top 5 Deftones songs. I may or may not have played a tiny role in them starting playing it live during the KNY cycle, I'll never know.

My two main problems with Saturday Night Wrist are, for one, its touring cycle. I'll never blame a man for gaining weight, I'm not a fucking gossip magazine worker, and I can't be THAT shallow. But how they had all put on weight, especially Chino, was a sign that all those dark years had taken their toll. Stephen admitted, in an interview after the release of SNW, that Chino had a really hard time singing, and he felt very bad for him. It's not to say all the shows sucked, and none of them did from start to end, there was just this inconsistency. Most of the time (not all the time), they'd sound good for a minute and get tired the next minute, and you could hear it if you paid attention (which, as an off-the-record archivist, I did). Don't get me wrong: there are many great performances in the SNW cycle.

My second problem is knowing the potential that was wasted into this. We all know the production could have been a lot better and in fact, was going to be a lot better: they had fucking Bob Ezrin working with them. Sure enough a couple of you don't know, there's a bunch of demos they made with him, they're all available on YouTube. Had they gone through with him and completed these songs and come up with one decent sequence... this album was going to be on another level. We all know it. Stephen knew it at the time and was probably pissed over it.

I'll finish this very biased review with my favorite performance of Rats which, in my opinion, represents what I just said really well. Up until the first chorus, Chino is almost studio-like: the screams, the highs, the rasp, to the point it gives me the biggest chills. After that... it gets inconsistent. Again, don't twist my words. The rest of the band is top-notch through and through, but Deftones songs have always relied a lot on Chino. If he doesn't sound as good, the whole music takes the toll. Hope you get what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXquohLxF3Q

buflen

Watching chino "perform" in the SNW era was kinda sad.

ireallywish

that's an awesome review Ves. SNW is my personal favorite, and while I love the clarity and sharpness of the Terry Date albums (S/T is my 2nd fave) I like the contrast it has with them. DE/KNY are great albums but for me they're polished in a way that kind of hides some of the nuance in their stuff tbh.

Hidalgo

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 25, 2020, 02:38 AM
Quick write-up:

I actually like Saturday Night Wrist, quite a lot. I bought it in 2007 after catching the Hole in the Earth promo clip on YouTube. I remember thinking that was the most directly emotional Chino had sounded (from the little I knew about) if that makes sense, and the composition sounded very fresh, I loved Frank's ambient and the outro breakdown hit me deep.

The Konami Code is one of the Deftones songs I've overplayed to death (and there aren't as many as you'd think for someone like me). Something about it was different while still sounding very Deftones. Some kind of peaceful innocence mixed with the surrounding melancholy, I don't really have the words. I even remember trying to figure out piano at the time, and I had come up with my own version of the song. No credit to me obviously, it sounded beautiful on piano.

And for as disjointed as the band was and how pieced together to writing process was, I still don't feel the album is as disjointed as many people think. There's only one point in the sequence where I'm thrown off, is the Konami Code into Xerces. I like both tracks (though Xerces may be my least favorite SNW song), but the lack of transition there doesn't work for me. You'd think it's a very Deftones move to go like this, I just don't think it worked that well in that case. And then going into Rats! after that is debatable too. I do like Rats! though. I remember someone on here criticising the very simple lyricism, but the feeling of anger came out really well and sincere. It's definitely in their few all-time heaviest cuts and it didn't feel heavy for the sake of being heavy. That's something for a metal band imo. Hell, does anyone remember another instance of Deftones playing fucking death metal? Someone said Gore felt more cohevise than SNW... I disagree.

Hell, Pink Cellphone used to be the running gag of this forum. I actually did like Pink Cellphone. I thought, for as random as it sounded, it really fitted Saturday Night Wrist. I still think stuff like that and The Konami Code could be played live with success if done correctly.

Kimdracula still is one of my favorite songs. This texture, are you kidding me? It's one of those few songs where you know you can't put this band in a box no matter how hard you try.

Combat comes as a personal preference since I witnessed first hands the only time they pulled it off in front of an audience. I liked it a lot when I first heard it too.

And Riviere. Fucking Riviere man. I didn't notice it on the first few listens, felt like that mandatory ballad by an otherwise heavy band, but holy shit. Those guitar chords hit right when they need to. Chino's vocals come off very sincere and almost fragile. Makes me tear up every time, I'm not ashamed. Absolutely my favorite SNW track and in my top 5 Deftones songs. I may or may not have played a tiny role in them starting playing it live during the KNY cycle, I'll never know.

My two main problems with Saturday Night Wrist are, for one, its touring cycle. I'll never blame a man for gaining weight, I'm not a fucking gossip magazine worker, and I can't be THAT shallow. But how they had all put on weight, especially Chino, was a sign that all those dark years had taken their toll. Stephen admitted, in an interview after the release of SNW, that Chino had a really hard time singing, and he felt very bad for him. It's not to say all the shows sucked, and none of them did from start to end, there was just this inconsistency. Most of the time (not all the time), they'd sound good for a minute and get tired the next minute, and you could hear it if you paid attention (which, as an off-the-record archivist, I did). Don't get me wrong: there are many great performances in the SNW cycle.

My second problem is knowing the potential that was wasted into this. We all know the production could have been a lot better and in fact, was going to be a lot better: they had fucking Bob Ezrin working with them. Sure enough a couple of you don't know, there's a bunch of demos they made with him, they're all available on YouTube. Had they gone through with him and completed these songs and come up with one decent sequence... this album was going to be on another level. We all know it. Stephen knew it at the time and was probably pissed over it.

I'll finish this very biased review with my favorite performance of Rats which, in my opinion, represents what I just said really well. Up until the first chorus, Chino is almost studio-like: the screams, the highs, the rasp, to the point it gives me the biggest chills. After that... it gets inconsistent. Again, don't twist my words. The rest of the band is top-notch through and through, but Deftones songs have always relied a lot on Chino. If he doesn't sound as good, the whole music takes the toll. Hope you get what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXquohLxF3Q
i almost wanna say they played Combat and the boy's republics live for you alone, lol. probably riviere too. didn't you and a few other people from here send some of them messages about playing more rare stuff? now if you can just twist their arm into playing pink maggit

Hidalgo

Quote from: buflen on Aug 25, 2020, 02:36 AM
Yes. it's me.

I was not expecting to be recognized with this name here. I used to post on the old and retired Deftones official board, and had multiple account here since the very beginning. I forgot my password so I registered again under this name.
i used to post their too. i spent so much time on there.i also came here in the first few weeks of the board. their was a different deftonesworld board before this one as well, and was replaced with this one in 2004. cool that you're a big deftones fan. a lot of your levels are named after bands or songs(like ohms, digital bath, etc) i've noticed. loved the 4ymm level. i've probably put 3,000 hours into smm1 and 2 combined, lol

guizz

Quote from: Hidalgo on Aug 25, 2020, 03:30 AM
Quote from: buflen on Aug 25, 2020, 02:36 AM
Yes. it's me.

i used to post their too. i spent so much time on there.i also came here in the first few weeks of the board. their was a different deftonesworld board before this one as well, and was replaced with this one in 2004. cool that you're a big deftones fan. a lot of your levels are named after bands or songs(like ohms, digital bath, etc) i've noticed. loved the 4ymm level. i've probably put 3,000 hours into smm1 and 2, lol

thats my old school name, forgot password is a thing that exists haha. I ended up waiting 2 years to register I guess, but I was reading it. Maybe you might remember me. And thanks, that level took me forever to make, I probably has as much time on the game as you, maybe more. Anyway moving on, this is very out of topic.