Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imbrie

If recent intel is legit, 2nd single should be out next week. And then just 3 looooong weeks until the album after that!

thatdeftkid

Quote from: imbrie on Aug 25, 2020, 08:19 PM
If recent intel is legit, 2nd single should be out next week. And then just 3 looooong weeks until the album after that!

:)

SMLiberator

Diamond Eyes just passed 16m views on Youtube, which is nice. I remember it being below 10m during the Gore cycle. I wonder how many of those thousands of recent views are from people going through their catalogue due to Ohms hype (like myself)
i'm confused??

Inkblades

Chino seems to be dipping into the history bag for some of these song titles, such as Radiant City:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ville_Radieuse

ChubbyChino

Is this classic book the inspiration for the song title?

SianMX

Anyone else seen Deftones latest Facebook story? It's in the same style as the lyric clues from last week but says stream Ohms on Spotify's Rock This playlist. Just advertising or more canvas art if you do as the story says?

buflen

Quote from: SianMX on Aug 25, 2020, 10:26 PM
Anyone else seen Deftones latest Facebook story? It's in the same style as the lyric clues from last week but says stream Ohms on Spotify's Rock This playlist. Just advertising or more canvas art if you do as the story says?
It just tells you to listen to the song on spotify. Pretty straight forward.

dearthx1

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 25, 2020, 02:38 AM
Quick write-up:

I actually like Saturday Night Wrist, quite a lot. I bought it in 2007 after catching the Hole in the Earth promo clip on YouTube. I remember thinking that was the most directly emotional Chino had sounded (from the little I knew about) if that makes sense, and the composition sounded very fresh, I loved Frank's ambient and the outro breakdown hit me deep.

The Konami Code is one of the Deftones songs I've overplayed to death (and there aren't as many as you'd think for someone like me). Something about it was different while still sounding very Deftones. Some kind of peaceful innocence mixed with the surrounding melancholy, I don't really have the words. I even remember trying to figure out piano at the time, and I had come up with my own version of the song. No credit to me obviously, it sounded beautiful on piano.

And for as disjointed as the band was and how pieced together to writing process was, I still don't feel the album is as disjointed as many people think. There's only one point in the sequence where I'm thrown off, is the Konami Code into Xerces. I like both tracks (though Xerces may be my least favorite SNW song), but the lack of transition there doesn't work for me. You'd think it's a very Deftones move to go like this, I just don't think it worked that well in that case. And then going into Rats! after that is debatable too. I do like Rats! though. I remember someone on here criticising the very simple lyricism, but the feeling of anger came out really well and sincere. It's definitely in their few all-time heaviest cuts and it didn't feel heavy for the sake of being heavy. That's something for a metal band imo. Hell, does anyone remember another instance of Deftones playing fucking death metal? Someone said Gore felt more cohevise than SNW... I disagree.

Hell, Pink Cellphone used to be the running gag of this forum. I actually did like Pink Cellphone. I thought, for as random as it sounded, it really fitted Saturday Night Wrist. I still think stuff like that and The Konami Code could be played live with success if done correctly.

Kimdracula still is one of my favorite songs. This texture, are you kidding me? It's one of those few songs where you know you can't put this band in a box no matter how hard you try.

Combat comes as a personal preference since I witnessed first hands the only time they pulled it off in front of an audience. I liked it a lot when I first heard it too.

And Riviere. Fucking Riviere man. I didn't notice it on the first few listens, felt like that mandatory ballad by an otherwise heavy band, but holy shit. Those guitar chords hit right when they need to. Chino's vocals come off very sincere and almost fragile. Makes me tear up every time, I'm not ashamed. Absolutely my favorite SNW track and in my top 5 Deftones songs. I may or may not have played a tiny role in them starting playing it live during the KNY cycle, I'll never know.

My two main problems with Saturday Night Wrist are, for one, its touring cycle. I'll never blame a man for gaining weight, I'm not a fucking gossip magazine worker, and I can't be THAT shallow. But how they had all put on weight, especially Chino, was a sign that all those dark years had taken their toll. Stephen admitted, in an interview after the release of SNW, that Chino had a really hard time singing, and he felt very bad for him. It's not to say all the shows sucked, and none of them did from start to end, there was just this inconsistency. Most of the time (not all the time), they'd sound good for a minute and get tired the next minute, and you could hear it if you paid attention (which, as an off-the-record archivist, I did). Don't get me wrong: there are many great performances in the SNW cycle.

My second problem is knowing the potential that was wasted into this. We all know the production could have been a lot better and in fact, was going to be a lot better: they had fucking Bob Ezrin working with them. Sure enough a couple of you don't know, there's a bunch of demos they made with him, they're all available on YouTube. Had they gone through with him and completed these songs and come up with one decent sequence... this album was going to be on another level. We all know it. Stephen knew it at the time and was probably pissed over it.

I'll finish this very biased review with my favorite performance of Rats which, in my opinion, represents what I just said really well. Up until the first chorus, Chino is almost studio-like: the screams, the highs, the rasp, to the point it gives me the biggest chills. After that... it gets inconsistent. Again, don't twist my words. The rest of the band is top-notch through and through, but Deftones songs have always relied a lot on Chino. If he doesn't sound as good, the whole music takes the toll. Hope you get what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXquohLxF3Q

I enjoyed reading this write up a lot and I agree with most of it ("Xerces" is actually one of my favorite Deftones songs ever), but as far as the demos go, I still don't understand why they didn't include "Finger of Death" on the album. I've heard a live version on Youtube with vocals in it and man, that song just would have been such a killer Deftones classic.

tokyodrifter

Quote from: thatdeftkid on Aug 25, 2020, 08:24 PM

🤔

Vesanic

sharinglungs

Quote from: tokyodrifter on Aug 26, 2020, 04:38 AM

HAH. Get dunked on son...

not you tokyodrifter lol

thatdeftkid

🤔

waddup my boy

thatdeftkid

Quote from: sharinglungs on Aug 26, 2020, 04:57 AM

HAH. Get dunked on son...

not you tokyodrifter lol

whatchu mean get dunked on lol

Inkblades

I know Stef said on IG another single was coming soon, but just two weeks after Ohms seems kind of quick. I bet they drop the second one like a week or two before the 25th.

976-EVIL

So much respect for this Board! Lurking and learning is never a bad thing.
Been saying it for more than a minute.
Terry Date changed the game.
Deftones Golden Age Is Here!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

DeftonesNZ

Ohms seems to be getting a lot more attention then the other recent releases,It's super cool seeing Deftones start popping up all over the place.

Have been listening to the single a lot since release and still really like it, it's got enough different passages that it doesn't get too repetitive for me and that Terry Date production just makes these guys shine, he's a fucking wizard at capturing songs in a way where everything is heard but it's still balanced.

nineteen

Stef mentioned on his Instagram that he used tube amps for the new album

imbrie

Not sure if this has already been posted and how old/recent it is but there is a video on Apple Music titled 'At Home With Chino Moreno' where he talks a bit about Ohms and lockdown, amongst other things, also a couple of mentions of Chi. This was obviously filmed a few months ago when the album was in the mixing phase.

Draken

Yeah that one is kind of old, it's on DeftonesLive. Here it is for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw9AreWmVPI