Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buflen

Quote from: ChubbyChino on Sep 10, 2020, 07:18 PM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 10, 2020, 06:02 PM
Well. I'm pretty sure chino is aware he is not the best live singer.
For the energy and passion, he is rarely beaten, but for just the vocal abilities ... I mean, when I watch a show where his voice doesn't crack every 10 seconds, I consider it a good show for him. The bar is ridiculously LOW. When you are there, it doesn't matter much because of the enegy, but watching it on youtube....  :o

I have no idea why he decides to sing stuff completely out of his range on albums now. He doesn't seem to have as much trouble doing older songs, well except Digital Bath.

I wonder why he rarely sounds good live. That Team Sleep live album/DVD recording was awesome, he sounded great, almost as good as he did on the studio album. Also, I guess his age affected his voice, take a look at performances from the early 2000s, he sounded great. Remember that he had throat issues in the past and almost lost his voice. Maybe he never fully recovered from that.
He fucked up his vocal cords late in the white pony tour and he was never the same after, but he had good moments after where he sounded quite good, like in 2003 and 2010. But It will never be as good as pre-2000. Now I guess it's mostly age, but it's not a great excuse. If you take care of your voice and have vocal coaches, its very avoidable.

buflen

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 10, 2020, 07:24 PM

BTW, Romantic Dreams has never been one of my favorite Deftones songs. I always thought the song had some shifts in tone that were a little too drastic, from the melodramatic verses to a joyful, poppy chorus, but it has actually kind of grown on me recently. Maybe it's the shift I've had from 26 to 34 in those eight years since Koi dropped, so I appreciate it more.

That's one of the thing I'm not a huge fan of in their last 2 albums, very very abrupt switch in the mood or tempo. Geometric Headdress has this "issue" too... I guess it's their way to experiment with different song structure/sound. but it doesn't work very well for me.

Inkblades

The shifts in Geo always worked better for me, but that's probably just because I really like the weirdness of Geo.

buflen

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 10, 2020, 07:42 PM
The shifts in Geo always worked better for me, but that's probably just because I really like the weirdness of Geo.
Well it has one of my favorite vocal melodies of chino ever. So I like the song still. I'd would have PERSONALLY prefer it to be more focus. but that's just preference.

"As her words draw you in
Our faith reconnects
And our hearts, they collapse
From the words we intake
And now relate like I relate
'Til your faith reconnects"

mandalay

So many fragile minds in here, calling for censorship of opinions that stray from "OMG DEFTONES ARE THE BEST!"  Ya'll sound ridiculous and have lost all credibility. 

buflen

Quote from: mandalay on Sep 10, 2020, 07:55 PM
So many fragile minds in here, calling for censorship of opinions that stray from "OMG DEFTONES ARE THE BEST!"  Ya'll sound ridiculous and have lost all credibility.
I always complain about deftones stuff here and no one wanted to censor me or call me out. I think it might have been the way you presented your opinion, but I don't know.

Inkblades

Quote from: mandalay on Sep 10, 2020, 07:55 PM

Really solid response to what I wrote, man!

If you really paid attention this board, you would see see that there is constant Deftones criticism. I literally JUST criticized the tonal shifts in Romantic Dreams, people are LITERALLY criticizing Chino's live performances on THIS PAGE of the thread, buflen is criticizing Geo, etc. Your real problem is your opinions are just inconsistent and easy to pick apart.

Far away

Are you guys really discussing song titles? If its a good song, they can name it 'Bang my ass' for all I care.

About the whole 'Chino is not good live' thing, its old news. They know it, we know it, everybody else knows it. I went to two shows, he was amazing in one, and good in the other. You dont have to be a perfect singer to have an impactful career. Theres a LOT of "bad" (or not perfect, live) singers out there with decades of work who influenced generations. Still do. Chino is one. You gotta see the artist for the whole package. Criativity, range, will to keep improving and evolving artistically, etc. He has it all. Otherwise he wouldnt be praised like he is.

Would it be nicer if he was more consistent live? (thats what I think its his problem on shows: inconsistency) Sure.

buflen

Quote from: Far away on Sep 10, 2020, 08:16 PM
Are you guys really discussing song titles? If its a good song, they can name it 'Bang my ass' for all I care.

About the whole 'Chino is not good live' thing, its old news. They know it, we know it, everybody else knows it. I went to two shows, he was amazing in one, and good in the other. You dont have to be a perfect singer to have an impactful career. Theres a LOT of "bad" (or not perfect, live) singers out there with decades of work who influenced generations. Still do. Chino is one. You gotta see the artist for the whole package. Criativity, range, will to keep improving and evolving artistically, etc. He has it all. Otherwise he wouldnt be praised like he is.

Would it be nicer if he was more consistent live? (thats what I think its his problem on shows: inconsistency) Sure.
We were just talking about Chino not watching his live performance so I brought it up. I know it is old news. but it still to this day kinda affect my adoration for this band.

Inkblades

The live performances are a numbers game. When you've been playing music live for over 25 years, yeah, not every performance is gonna be pitch perfect. He's still pretty consistent for someone who has been doing it for as long as he has, IMO. I was just watching a live video of Kimdracula and Battle-Axe from 2018 that he sounds fucking great in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raBYjn1pRbA

Roidragee

I feel like Chino always does well live when he isn't moving around as much or jumping around trying to hype the crowd up. If he just stands and sings, he'll probably be consistent live. Id rather him engage and move with the crowd though instead of just standing in one spot the entire time.

ANattyRat

Haven't had Internet access much until recently. Have I missed anything important? Sounds like a new song is coming out next week though???

Inkblades

Quote from: ANattyRat on Sep 10, 2020, 08:42 PM
Haven't had Internet access much until recently. Have I missed anything important? Sounds like a new song is coming out next week though???

New song and video confirmed for next Friday.

Inkblades

And we're just two weeks away now. It's about to get crazy.

Far away

Quote from: buflen on Sep 10, 2020, 08:25 PM
Quote from: Far away on Sep 10, 2020, 08:16 PM

We were just talking about Chino not watching his live performance so I brought it up. I know it is old news. but it still to this day kinda affect my adoration for this band.

Tbh, I think it affects most of us. I just got over it. Hes human, after all. AND, on top of that, screaming for this many years (the good ol' excuse, right?) and not caring what you gonna sound like live, has this effect. Im fine with it nowdays.

Hidalgo

For the energy and passion, he is rarely beaten, but for just the vocal abilities ... I mean, when I watch a show where his voice doesn't crack every 10 seconds, I consider it a good show for him. The bar is ridiculously LOW. When you are there, it doesn't matter much because of the enegy, but watching it on youtube....  :o

I have no idea why he decides to sing stuff completely out of his range on albums now. He doesn't seem to have as much trouble doing older songs, well except Digital Bath.
i read a few articles that he's got some of the best vocal range out there (octaves), so when he's on, he's really on. but maybe the vocal damage from 2001 caused him inconsistency

ranked 11th here, out of all singers, not just rock (maybe partly cause his scream is pretty much the best ever)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/wtf/mike_patton_is_the_greatest_singer_of_all_time_based_on_vocal_range_not_axl_rose_experts_insist.html

Draken

Damn shit goes south so quickly round here LMFAO  ;D

I honestly couldn't care less what they name anything, as long as the music is there. Ohms isn't a bad title but when I first heard rumor that was what it was called I was like "nah it can't be" then when it was announced I shrugged and was like "okay cool". Can't wait to hear the music.

On the topic of live performances, someone mentioned the Team Sleep sessions... omg yes, Chino never sounded better imo. His best recorded performance of his career? Prove me wrong Ves!

imbrie

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 10, 2020, 08:52 PM

i read a few articles that he's got some of the best vocal range out there (octaves), so when he's on, he's really on. but maybe the vocal damage from 2001 caused him inconsistency

ranked 11th here, out of all singers, not just rock (maybe partly cause his scream is pretty much the best ever)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/wtf/mike_patton_is_the_greatest_singer_of_all_time_based_on_vocal_range_not_axl_rose_experts_insist.html

I think we're all going slightly off topic in this thread but this is a great post - extremely interesting read.

buflen

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 10, 2020, 09:14 PM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 10, 2020, 08:52 PM

I think we're all going slightly off topic in this thread but this is a great post - extremely interesting read.
there's not much to talk about on Ohms beside useless prediction, or not tolerated leak talks, so I'm fine with off topic discussions.

imbrie

Quote from: Draken on Sep 10, 2020, 09:12 PM
On the topic of live performances, someone mentioned the Team Sleep sessions... omg yes, Chino never sounded better imo. His best recorded performance of his career? Prove me wrong Ves!

Oh, I really love that album. The entire band kills it and Gil Sharone's drumming on it is just beautiful.