Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Far away

Quote from: Roidragee on Sep 10, 2020, 05:33 PM
I feel like Chino always does well live when he isn't moving around as much or jumping around trying to hype the crowd up. If he just stands and sings, he'll probably be consistent live. Id rather him engage and move with the crowd though instead of just standing in one spot the entire time.

I think you nailed it. Especially now they are all 50 or close to 50 years old. Minus Sergio, I guess...

buflen

Quote from: Far away on Sep 10, 2020, 06:22 PM
Quote from: Roidragee on Sep 10, 2020, 05:33 PM
I feel like Chino always does well live when he isn't moving around as much or jumping around trying to hype the crowd up. If he just stands and sings, he'll probably be consistent live. Id rather him engage and move with the crowd though instead of just standing in one spot the entire time.

I think you nailed it. Especially now they are all 50 or close to 50 years old. Minus Sergio, I guess...
I had to google, but he's the same age.

LG95

All the band have an element of sloppiness live. It doesn't really bother me generally. I saw them three times on Gore and they were brilliant every time. The show at Meltdown Festival was incredible. A genuinely special night and they were ON it.

Chino could probably do with working alongside someone like Melissa Cross or whoever in order to find a way to control and preserve his voice for the next decade or so. Late 40s and into your 50s, you have to find a way to keep going - see Tool not even playing certain songs now because of Maynard's aging voice.

I need this album btw. So damn close.
I could float here forever

buflen

My first child is due to October 13. I want the album ASAP, but I'm still enjoying the moment I still can sleep normally and have a life for now :)

Far away

Quote from: buflen on Sep 10, 2020, 06:47 PM
My first child is due to October 13. I want the album ASAP, but I'm still enjoying the moment I still can sleep normally and have a life for now :)

Congratulations! Enjoy the free time while you can, lol...

SMLiberator

Regarding Chino's vocals live, I feel like its all about his stamina and how him and the band are usually much less focused in delivering a pitch perfect performance than they are in just having fun onstage. A testament to that is how notoriously bad he sounded in 2009, when he was in pretty bad shape, compared to 2010, just an year after, where he was in much better shape (and just healthier overall) and sounded killer live. Then there's Team Sleep's 2014 concert, where he wasn't in that good shape but wasn't wasting stamina by jumping and running around on stage, and he delivered what might have been his best (or at least most consistent) live performance ever.

I don't blame the band at all for this though. Having fun IS the most important thing still, especially when you're this late into your carrer. I imagine after so many years seeing each other almost every day to repeat the same process night after night might grow tiring if you're not having fun.
i'm confused??

Hidalgo

congrats, that is great. my daughter is 5 & 1/2, still haven't introduced her to any of my music yet. i'm not pushy with my music with people. i used to be a little bit in teens and early 20s, had lots of friends and gfs become fans of deftones through me

make your kid some cool Mario levels when they get old enough . i made a few for my kid'o, she loved it

Sicario

Quote from: Hidalgo on Sep 10, 2020, 06:59 PM
congrats, that is great. my daughter is 5 & 1/2, still haven't introduced her to any of my music yet. i'm not pushy with my music with people. i used to be a little bit in teens and early 20s, had lots of friends and gfs become fans of deftones through me

make her some cool Mario levels when she gets old enough

My daughter is the same age. She doesn't normally have to listen to what I listen to but I played Ohms a couple times over YouTube on the TV and last night it popped up in the car and I heard her singing it. She was singing "time won't change this". I must say, I was a proud dad hearing that  8)
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

Draken

Yea congrats! Sleep while you can lol!

Hidalgo

Quote from: Sicario on Sep 10, 2020, 07:03 PM

make her some cool Mario levels when she gets old enough

My daughter is the same age. She doesn't normally have to listen to what I listen to but I played Ohms a couple times over YouTube on the TV and last night it popped up in the car and I heard her singing it. She was singing "time won't change this". I must say, I was a proud dad hearing that  8)
that's awesome

Draken

Anyone else agree that 2009-2010 was a good year for Chino's live performances? He looked great and sounded great to me. I saw some shows where he was spot on. There's an elusive video of WGTB from 2009 that I'm dying to see/hear. While searching thru videos I came across this one I never saw before, he sounded pretty good here.
[edit: nvm I have seen it, I remember the "London, England" part during Rocket Skates, cracks me up! ;D]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrTkG6XGkPM

buflen

make your kid some cool Mario levels when they get old enough . i made a few for my kid'o, she loved it
Thanks! I saw you edited this twice. It's a boys. It'll take a while before he'll play some of my mario levels :P

Draken

https://www.theprp.com/2020/09/10/news/chino-moreno-says-deftones-began-writing-ohms-as-a-trio-i-wanted-to-experiment-with-us-three-in-a-room-like-we-were-in-stephs-garage-when-we-were-kids/

damn I'm a shitty listener lol, I completely missed the part where he talked about writing Ohms with just the three of them (Chino, Abe and Steph). "get back to basics". That's interesting...

buflen

Quote from: Draken on Sep 10, 2020, 07:56 PM
https://www.theprp.com/2020/09/10/news/chino-moreno-says-deftones-began-writing-ohms-as-a-trio-i-wanted-to-experiment-with-us-three-in-a-room-like-we-were-in-stephs-garage-when-we-were-kids/

damn I'm a shitty listener lol, I completely missed the part where he talked about writing Ohms with just the three of them (Chino, Abe and Steph). "get back to basics". That's interesting...
I'd argue its kinda shitty for frank and sergio, but I guess it was his way to gives more place and space to Stephen? He even mentioned not bringing his guitar.

LG95

It was only the start of the process that it was just the three of them.
I could float here forever

Vesanic

Quote from: Draken on Sep 10, 2020, 07:22 PM
Anyone else agree that 2009-2010 was a good year for Chino's live performances? He looked great and sounded great to me. I saw some shows where he was spot on. There's an elusive video of WGTB from 2009 that I'm dying to see/hear. While searching thru videos I came across this one I never saw before, he sounded pretty good here.
[edit: nvm I have seen it, I remember the "London, England" part during Rocket Skates, cracks me up! ;D]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrTkG6XGkPM

I think 2009 was an exceptional year for Chino. The best performance of WGTB I've heard occurred during the Slipknot tour. Sadly the video is long gone, Chino screamed the entire thing and sounded like he was hungry for more. It was unreal!

Inkblades

Quote from: LG95 on Sep 10, 2020, 08:11 PM
It was only the start of the process that it was just the three of them.

Yeah, and as he makes clear, they did that so Stephen, in particular, could musically reconnect after Gore. Seems like doing that paid off big time for Ohms.

Draken

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 10, 2020, 08:33 PM
I think 2009 was an exceptional year for Chino. The best performance of WGTB I've heard occurred during the Slipknot tour. Sadly the video is long gone, Chino screamed the entire thing and sounded like he was hungry for more. It was unreal!

Ugh, I wanna hear it so bad! Please let me know if you ever find it again...

Vesanic

Looked for it for years, I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest.  :(

BallZDeeP

my youngest is 24. you dont sleep the same ever again