Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

I love that movie.  I dunno I've always liked that version of Romeo and Juliet.

Azwethinkweiz

I just watched Crash.

Wow.

That movie kinda sucked.

dusttones

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Feb 25, 2006, 10:18 PM
I just watched Crash.

Wow.

That movie kinda sucked.

wtf.

Azwethinkweiz

It was an aweful movie.

Surely the purpose of a film like this should be to promote the fact that race should not really be an issue in these situations, but by making it the sole focus of every scene, doesn't it become innately racist itself? Characters walk around spouting their philosophies and conveniently memorised statistics on race relations as though they're regurgitating extracts from the research essay they've just written. It's utterly unconvincing and obvious. A film should reveal its meaning gradually, not slap us in the face with it in the opening scenes and then never let up. I can see that Haggis' intentions with this film were honorable, but dare I suggest that by directing his own script he has not been able to identify and, therefore, overcome its flaws. I really hope that writer/directors will be really careful in future when approaching this 'mosaic' style of narrative. It has been done well a number of times, but getting the balance between the personal and the political right is very difficult..

Racism is bad.. what, REALLY!??

ChickdelaLynch

I just watched Crash.

Wow.

That movie kinda sucked.

Haha! Nice. I haven't seen it, but a bunch of stupid people told me to go and watch it. I'm still debating it.

Breach Unborn

watched The Big Lebowski for the 32948239841st time earlier today. still a great movie

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Feb 26, 2006, 12:32 AM
It was an aweful movie.

Surely the purpose of a film like this should be to promote the fact that race should not really be an issue in these situations, but by making it the sole focus of every scene, doesn't it become innately racist itself? Characters walk around spouting their philosophies and conveniently memorised statistics on race relations as though they're regurgitating extracts from the research essay they've just written. It's utterly unconvincing and obvious. A film should reveal its meaning gradually, not slap us in the face with it in the opening scenes and then never let up. I can see that Haggis' intentions with this film were honorable, but dare I suggest that by directing his own script he has not been able to identify and, therefore, overcome its flaws. I really hope that writer/directors will be really careful in future when approaching this 'mosaic' style of narrative. It has been done well a number of times, but getting the balance between the personal and the political right is very difficult..

Racism is bad.. what, REALLY!??

If you lived in L.A. you would understand why it's a great movie.

Saw Dancer In the Dark again after not seeing it for like 2 years...I love this movie. I don't like musicals but something about it being B'Jork and all the songs not being corny (ala RENT), its just great. The end always makes me cry.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

manic_bastard

I just watched Crash.

the recent one or the one with James Spader? the one with James Spader is fucking weird

Jerry_Curls

the recent one...

I want to see th eother crash. Supposedly it was really controversial. Why?
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

manic_bastard

there's a bunch of sex scenes in it and it's plot has to do with James Spader and his wife growing a sexual fetish for car crashes or something. supposedly no one wanted to release the movie but it eventually did get released. it's nothing shocking really, it's just weird subject matter. and you know how the american public responds to weird sexual movies.

oh yeah and it's directed by David Cronenberg. so thats cool
it's worth checking if it sounds interesting to you

ChickdelaLynch

I saw K-PAX tonight, which was really good. Gotta love Kevin Spacey.

manic_bastard

your produce alone was worth the trip.

ToneDef

The Footbal Factory. Another fine representation of British culture.

defskull

Quote from: ChickdelaLynch on Feb 27, 2006, 05:16 AM
I saw K-PAX tonight, which was really good. Gotta love Kevin Spacey.

I knew you'd like it.

dusttones

I watched Jarhead again last night...its still good.

Azwethinkweiz

Out of Sight is on tonight. Is it worth watching?

BigDave

nah it blows.  j-lo AND george clooney in the same film.

Azwethinkweiz

So, I watched Dodgeball instead of Out of Sight. That movie still kicks ass.

"I sure do like pumpkins, Cotton!" haha.

Assassin

Hahaha yeah man I love that film!

Patches O'Houlihan: 'If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!'

Zoolander's pretty funny too if you like comedy that requires little or no thought which we all do once in a while.

By the way stop smiting me dude!

Azwethinkweiz

I love Zoolander too.

And why do you think it's me who's smiting you?? I'm not the only one on this board, you know.