Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireflyry

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

I'm almost through Foundation.

Asimov is a god.

tarkil

Foundation is indeed awesome...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

I've loved Asimov since I first read I, Robot.

tarkil

Actually I can't remember what I first read from him... Something dealing with robots I'm pretty sure... I think it was Caves of Steel maybe... Anyway, that was the beginning of a long love story... :)

Mazzy

Quote from: tarkil on Aug 24, 2006, 05:02 PM
Quote from: Mazzy on Aug 24, 2006, 04:34 PM
when i finish tolstoy's book, i'm going to start on margaret atwood. i've never read her before. i've just read one poem because it was part of our english text in high school. i'm looking forward to it.

Which Tolstoy book was it ?

anna karenina. i'm up to the last part. i am not reading anything till i finish this book. it's amazing but with long hours at work i hardly have energy to read anything these days. it's a challenge. i try to hold onto every minute of reading i can get to finish it.

tarkil

How good is the book ?

Azwethinkweiz

i ordered 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay' yesterday.

a friend of mine recommended it. i have no idea what to expect.

anybody read it?

Paint Your Lips

Just starting on Bret Easton Ellis' Below Zero (i'm guessing that's the englih title)

Got high expectations ... Perhaps even too high.

Azwethinkweiz

*Less Than Zero ;)

it's a great book, marty.

tarkil

I read it few weeks ago... If you read American Psycho, you're gonna be disappointed... This book is like a not mature version of it (Easton Ellis was somtehing like 20 or 21 when he wrote it), and you can feel it. Still good, but definitely not great !

Paint Your Lips

Quote from: tarkil on Aug 25, 2006, 05:16 PM
I read it few weeks ago... If you read American Psycho, you're gonna be disappointed... This book is like a not mature version of it (Easton Ellis was somtehing like 20 or 21 when he wrote it), and you can feel it. Still good, but definitely not great !
Thanks, man. Haha, you def. lowered my expectations. :)

tarkil

Like that, you won't be disappointed... But it's still a pretty good book, don't worry... That guy's way of writing is just awesome...

tarkil

Currently reading Neil Gaiman - Stardust.

So far, so good !

Jerry_Curls

Ok I've been reading through these posts trying to get an idea of what to read, but I still never know what to get when I'm at the book store because I blank out. So I was wondering if you guys can just list some books [with their authors stated] that I should read. I like really cynical, dark, bascially existentialist books, but if there is a book that isn't like that and its short and very good, then recommend away! I haven't read a book in awhile and I barely got to reading the second novela by Nathaniel West. Help a brotha out.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Mazzy

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Sep 01, 2006, 12:18 AM
Ok I've been reading through these posts trying to get an idea of what to read, but I still never know what to get when I'm at the book store because I blank out. So I was wondering if you guys can just list some books [with their authors stated] that I should read. I like really cynical, dark, bascially existentialist books, but if there is a book that isn't like that and its short and very good, then recommend away! I haven't read a book in awhile and I barely got to reading the second novela by Nathaniel West. Help a brotha out.

Prep by Curtis Sittenfield. i own an extra copy. i can send it to you by mail. it's pretty good. the main character is a girl. you'll like it. i don't know though, i just think you'll like it because i loved it. i had to read it in one go which took me two days minus sleeping, showering, eating, scratching my butt.

tarkil

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Sep 01, 2006, 12:18 AM

You want to read everything by Chuck Palanhiuk and Bret Easton Ellis (if you haven't already!!).

BigDave

read last exit to brooklyn by the man in my sig.

i'm about halfway through haunted by chuck palahniuk.

Mazzy

Quote from: BigDave on Sep 01, 2006, 04:06 PM
read last exit to brooklyn by the man in my sig.

i'm about halfway through haunted by chuck palahniuk.

i just finished reading Invisible Monsters. brilliant man. it always amazes me, he always amazes me. the subjects which he writes about and the topics he covers within those pages.

grabs right into your chest.

BigDave

yea invisible monsters is one of his best, along with choke.