Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Radiohead

Started by Fireal1222, Feb 20, 2006, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paint Your Lips

manic_bastard

Quote from: Corleone on Jun 01, 2006, 06:53 PM
Some of it is alright, when I heard about a solo album though my first thought was "acoustic?", but that wish didnt come true.

my thoughts exactly

pissedandpierced

When I first heard Pablo Honey I just fell in love with Radiohead's music and they were one of my favorite bands but since Ok Computer I just didn't like their sound, maybe it's the change in their sound or a change in my taste in music.
"It's good to be classic, it kinda shows that we're old" - Chino Moreno, Kerrang! Awards 2007

Fireal1222

Quote from: pissedandpierced on Jun 02, 2006, 06:20 PM
When I first heard Pablo Honey I just fell in love with Radiohead's music and they were one of my favorite bands but since Ok Computer I just didn't like their sound, maybe it's the change in their sound or a change in my taste in music.

coldplay and other pop bands should fit ur needs perfectly then

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

defskull

Muempire

Loving the eraser. First solo progect album by anyone that ive enjoyed in a long time
aka. TeamTones

Fireal1222

yeah, i like that it has that trippy radiohead feel at times. but with thom using his voice differently

this does sound much like a radiohead album, if it had phils awesome drumming

the radiohead album is probably going to sound totally different than any of there previous material

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Fireal1222

Quote from: defskull on Jun 02, 2006, 10:46 PM
Burn.

you know what, whatever he likes is his business. im a dick for knocking him, burns on me

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

no name cola

from what new material ive heard... youre right, it isnt really like anything else theyve done.

Fireal1222

Quote from: no name cola on Jun 03, 2006, 12:23 PM
from what new material ive heard... youre right, it isnt really like anything else theyve done.

i hope thats a good thing

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

skinnypuppy

every radiohead cd is different, but theyre all still good. of course it's a good thing!

no name cola

jonny plays guitar on all the new songs theyve played on this tour so far.
thats unusual, at least since KID A.

Paint Your Lips

I haven't heard any of the new songs, and i think i'll keep it that way.
I think that they are on the right track after they made Amnesiac and HTTT, so i'm quite optimistic about the new record. :)

Oh, yeah ... And i'm actually liking The Eraser more with every listen.

skinnypuppy

with one listen, I like three tracks an awful lot from the eraser. the other ones havent really grown on me yet though.

Paint Your Lips

Quote from: skinnypuppy on Jun 04, 2006, 10:37 AM
with one listen, I like three tracks an awful lot from the eraser. the other ones havent really grown on me yet though.
Yeah, me too. My three tracks are Cymbal Rush, The Eraser and The Clock. :) What's your, man?

Paint Your Lips

Hey, and interview with Thom from The Rollin Stone (about the Eraser and touring with the band)
http://www.greenplastic.com/news/archives/2006/06/thom_yorke_roll.php#more

Muempire

Im really digging Black Swan, Skip Divided and Harrowdown Hill. And as some said ealier i wish Skip Divided was a longer...
aka. TeamTones

Paint Your Lips

Found this on a Radiohead board:
5ths (intro music) - pretty groovey little IDM beat.. serves pretty much the exact same purpose Where Bluebirds Fly did back in 2002. Will probably surface in full as a b-side

15 Step - disorienting 5/4 cross rhythms and electronic beat underpinning a bluesy vocal melody. there's an avant garde edge to this as part way through impressionistic, inquisitive chords overpower the dance. it sounds cynical almost, but it is deffinitly not dramatic or overbearing.

4 Minute Warning - formerly known as Bombers formerly known as Neil Young *9, can be found on the cutting room floor of the Kid Amnesiac sessions. it's like they took After the Goldrush and dressed it up with washy synths so it would fit on an Ok Computer single. the chorus chant of "this is your warning" is a touching melody and chord progression, but the song seems to rely more on texture than outstanding songwriting.

Arpeggi - absolutely gorgeous, delicate chord progression suspended over a frenetic and forward-building drumbeat. it feels like flying about in a disoriented, euphoric stupor, and then just as you were expecting to crash, Jonny soothes it over with that glassy celestia line. it also has some of Thom's best lyrics and is one of the best things they've done in my opinion.

Bangers 'n' Mash - radiohead's most "metal" song in awhile, it's super aggressive and super fun, and has thom playing drumset of all things. it has choppy, aggressive, almost Bends-like quality to it, but this would never fit on The Bends, it is far too spastic for that record. the 'chorus' parts have mind-frying eastern-tinged lead guitar playing from jonny, and on the whole it is danceable.

Bodysnatchers - it's like 2+2=5 in reverse: instead of frightening dark-edged harmonies that build up into a crazy rock tune, Bodysnatchers is a fun rock song with a kinetic guitar riff that builds to a scary climax. it's all the paranoia and suffocation we've come to expect from radiohead's most intense songs, but is fun at the same time.

House of Cards - wheras the tjm rally version was a Follow Me Around rip more or less, this new version is a sexy reggae-influenced chill out. even being one of their happiest songs in awhile, it has its pensive moments, like the atmospheric guitar washes in the chorus. one of the bigger "where did that come from" moments out of these new songs.

Nude - slower pace, groovier bass, no keyboards, and a far more intricate guitar part. the use of guitar interplay is some of the best two guitar texturing since Ok Computer. it's also sparse, but in a very calculated way: it seems to build on itself in a very intentional and precise manner, like a symphony. the melody notes are chosen for particular effect at different points in the song and ed's soundmaking provides atmosphere superior to anything any old version had to offer. it's less of a power ballad and is now far more subtle and gentle. one of the best radiohead songs becomes even better as time goes on, apparently.

Open Pick - the most consistant rock tune out of these. it's probably the most vague and general of the tunes, but the guitar part is certainly nothing to scoff at, a taste of classical dramatacism in an otherwise fairly straightforward rock-out. it's kind of like the darkest, most suspicious r.e.m song that r.e.m never wrote.

Spooks - extremely short surf punk instrumental... makes me think of some cheeky 70's spy film. it's a lot of fun though, even if the fun only lasts about 50 seconds (about enough time for me to type this relatively short description)

Videotape - another song that builds in one direction. it starts out as an off-beat, almost tribal dance and culminates in what sounds to me like a darker, more nostalgic take on the sound they flirted with on Cuttooth. it's one of those songs that makes you ache to listen to it, but at the same time expresses a good deal of joy. one door opens when another closes, yeah?

Go Slowly - creepy, bluesy... it shimmers with atmosphere. it sounds like some wind-down album closer and is a harsh listen, but beautiful nonetheless. unfortunately it seems to build to a climax that never comes, cut short just before the arrival point.

Sounds interesting ...

Chrisbo

I like the description of the song 'Bangers 'n' Mash'! Oh and 'Arpeggi'!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

Fireal1222

Quote from: Paint Your Lips on Jun 04, 2006, 10:53 AM
Hey, and interview with Thom from The Rollin Stone (about the Eraser and touring with the band)
http://www.greenplastic.com/news/archives/2006/06/thom_yorke_roll.php#more

great read

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.