Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion

Started by Crazylegs, Mar 26, 2006, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazylegs

how come you write some words in german?

Nailec

call it germanisms ;)

don`t englisch speaking people use latin, french or german in daily life?

ToneDef

Not really, I just use bad fucking English.

I got a 360 for other console exclusive games and because it's always nice to be able to sit on my bed to play games rather than at a desk.

I have Morrowind on both Xbox and PC for these reasons. Xbox version I can just play in comfort. PC version I can mod and tweak the fuck out of it.

Anyway, I think it's good that enemies don't level with you in Morrowind. It's the whole point. If you wanna do well then take some time out, train your ass of and then go destroy some bitches. If everyone levels with you then what's the point in leveling up? Also, If you're primarily a mage character or have certain non combat related skills as your main ones then when you get to say level 5 you're fucked, because all the enemies are gonna be badasses but all you can do is make better potions or whatever.

I disagree about the Morrowind landscape. It was smaller than Oblivions but felt bigger. Oblivion is just green hills everywhere. It feels like a cartoon. Morrowind had a feeling of mystery to it. The whole game just felt so free and dark.

Oblivion is just a bad game by comparison. It holds your hand too much. It's more like KOTOR than an elder scrolls game.

Oblivion was made for console gamers.. The 'casual gamer' market. Bethesda lost a lot of hardcore fans over that game but gained a lot of new casual ones. They sold out. Apparently it was a success too, so you can bet the next chapter will suck just as much.

fireflyry

Yeah I agree ToneDef.

I got a leveling mod for Oblivion the other day and started again which has been way better.

Getting to level 30ish and finding out every two-bit bandit had just as good, if not better, armour than me was pissing me off.

They should be cannon fodder damn it.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

ToneDef

Yeah man. I mean don't get me wrong, if I'd never played an Elder Scrolls game before it then I probably would have loved it. But there are just too many things I know they shouldn't have added/taken away.

And yeah. Spending months playing just to be able to walk into a town and destroy any guards who have the audacity to try and arrest you for stealing is what it's all about man.

fireflyry

Damn straight.

That'll teach em.

I played Morrowind years ago but I guess my memory is crap especially since I tend to game while heavily stoned.Oblivions all good but I don't like the quests as much and I think the major difference for me is the fact the landscape in Morrowind had a lot more diversity hence felt WAY bigger in scope regardless of actual landmass comparisons.

The cities in Oblivion look great but the landscape outside the cities is all the same, lots of grass and trees.

I want a sand swept desert damn it.

ToneDef

Yeah man. One minute you could discover a lake out of nowhere and the next you could be walking through some futuristic looking ruins. It's hard to put my finger on but there was just something very 'fantasy' about the whole thing. Can't put it in words really. I never played it high but now I got it reinstalled I'll blatently be trying that.

fireflyry

Jacob

Quote from: ToneDef on Jul 18, 2006, 09:07 AM
Not really, I just use bad fucking English.

I got a 360 for other console exclusive games and because it's always nice to be able to sit on my bed to play games rather than at a desk.

I have Morrowind on both Xbox and PC for these reasons. Xbox version I can just play in comfort. PC version I can mod and tweak the fuck out of it.

Anyway, I think it's good that enemies don't level with you in Morrowind. It's the whole point. If you wanna do well then take some time out, train your ass of and then go destroy some bitches. If everyone levels with you then what's the point in leveling up? Also, If you're primarily a mage character or have certain non combat related skills as your main ones then when you get to say level 5 you're fucked, because all the enemies are gonna be badasses but all you can do is make better potions or whatever.

I disagree about the Morrowind landscape. It was smaller than Oblivions but felt bigger. Oblivion is just green hills everywhere. It feels like a cartoon. Morrowind had a feeling of mystery to it. The whole game just felt so free and dark.

Oblivion is just a bad game by comparison. It holds your hand too much. It's more like KOTOR than an elder scrolls game.

Oblivion was made for console gamers.. The 'casual gamer' market. Bethesda lost a lot of hardcore fans over that game but gained a lot of new casual ones. They sold out. Apparently it was a success too, so you can bet the next chapter will suck just as much.

damn, man. you summed it up real good there. I agree on every point, those were just the reasons why I didn't like Oblivion nearly as much as Morrowind.

here's a suggestion btw... if you're into the whole RPG thing, check out Neverwinter Nights. it's still being played online by many and it's very mod-able. the whole point of the game is to create your own mods and play them with other people online. the sequel is coming later this year and I'm pretty sure it will be the most kickass RPG to date.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Nailec

neverwinter nights is also about some very nice persistent worlds where you can roleplay oer pvp with many others not following a quest or something like that.
it is like mmorpg with real role play gaming and less players.
like ultima online (which i play too), everquest, lineage etc

nice game indeed but soloplayer was i somehow lame to me in comparison to baldurs gate 2 that i played 5 times. 2 times with parties and 3 times with one character only

Moz La Punk

SO I bought Oblivion for my 360 a week ago since I finally have the time for such a massive game as this one. BTW did you know that unless you have a super computer, the 360 version is far more stable than the PC version?

Anyway, the game is indeed insane. I've spend 20 hours just doing 2 story-quests. I filled the time with discovering the cities, the forests, everything. Anyone knows whats the cheapest way to get a house, and where? And dont try to get me in that super cheap ghost-house.

Crazylegs

the cheapest house is probably in the city waterfront in the imperial city. You can get a cheap house in bravil too.

Moz La Punk

Ok thanks, but I hate imperial city haha.

Moz La Punk

I bought the one in Imperial City but when I saw it I quickly went to a previous save. Damn, no way I'm going to live there...

Crazylegs

you wanted cheap, i gave you cheap. BITCH!

Moz La Punk

Dude, I wouldn't want to be caught dead in there. It's like a homeless resort. Alright, right  now I am homeless, but still.

Moz La Punk

I bought the Imperial City trash place this morning and got a member of the thieves guild. I already stole hundreds of dollars/cash/ whatever you pay with.

Then I found the thieves pirates cave (you have to download it)... now thats my home. With my own pirate crew, arrrrr errrr matey.

Crazylegs

aight. I would kick you in a thievery contest, i'm very sneaky sir.

Moz La Punk

Fuck yeah, finally have the Skinrad home. Man, that cost me a lot of work.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Oh how I hate being 'po.

Moz, send me a 360 in the mail please.